UKC

Why aren't women funny ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jonno 22 Aug 2008

Watching Mock the Week last night with the latest occasional token woman role played by Lucy Porter. It just reinforced the fact that when it comes to comedy women just aren't funny.

Still....like lambs to the slaughter they put themselves forward for shows like this and then just sit with silly grins on their faces, contributing nothing as the guys let rip. Why ?

I can't think of a single funny woman....apart from Margaret Thatcher...can you ?
Bingly Bong 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:
>
> I can't think of a single funny woman....apart from Margaret Thatcher...can you ?

You're pretty funny.
In reply to Jonno:

Joan Rivers
French & Saunders

to name but three
Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> Joan Rivers
> French & Saunders
>
> to name but three>>>

My point exactly. I can't think of a single funny woman !

In reply to Jonno:
>
> >
> I can't think of a single funny woman....apart from Margaret Thatcher...can you ?

The introduction of the Poll tax was fookin hilarious ---- not!

Bingly Bong 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Lord of Starkness: There aren't many. I like Jo Brand and Victoria Wood *sometimes*... But, like everything, in moderation!

Dawn French is pretty good, but I never thought much of Jennifer Saunders.
 ark05 22 Aug 2008
not being sexist... but its true. women comedians arn't funny.. i think its cuz they try too hard.
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

removing ourselves from the public eye for a moment, what about women you know as, say, friends or relatives? do you expect them to sit round looking awestruck while you and your buddies crack the jokes?

In reply to Jonno:

You're probably from the Chubby Brown school of thought, who claims that women have no brains either

mainly because women have no bell ends to keep them in!
 Richard Horn 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Bingly Bong:
>
> Dawn French is pretty good, but I never thought much of Jennifer Saunders.

Does that include Ab Fab? I thought that was one of the funniest sitcoms ever!

Bingly Bong 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Richard Horn: One sitcom that I truly could not sit through a full episode of!
 El Greyo 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Linda Smith
 Mita 22 Aug 2008
Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Mita:
> (In reply to Jonno) Joanna Lumley, Tracy Ullman>>

Ehh...Joanna Lumley....Like and admire the woman for her Free Tibet campaigning but comedienne...surely not. Tracy Ullman...not exactly a household name in comedy !

dek 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:
Joe Brand, makes me laugh.
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

and what about women you know- as in non-celebrities, as i presume they're not mates who pop round for a cup of tea and a spot of polemical ranting chez jonno, right?
 rallymania 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

well apparently a woman has one the "dave" channel funniest joke of the edinburgh fringe

"apparently that amy winhouse has admitted to selfharming, i mean she's the annoying, surely she can get someone to do it for her"

boomtish
 Michael Ryan 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Loads Jonno....check out the Edinburgh Festival....and some recent awards.

You watch TV too much!
 Morgan Woods 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Tracy Ullman is/was great plus for the fact she was the originator of the Simpsons...so respect.

Amy Sedaris of Strangers with Candy fame is pretty funny, though that might be a bit obscure for an anglo-centric BBC2 type such as yourself.
Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> and what about women you know- as in non-celebrities, as i presume they're not mates who pop round for a cup of tea and a spot of polemical ranting chez jonno, right?>>

No...still don't know any really amusing female friends who will have my biting the table to contain my mirth ?

There are probably cultural things going on which impact upon how one receives humour. I once went out with a woman from Basingstoke who was just lost by my traditional black scouse sarcastic sense of humour. In the end I really had to bite my lip every time some witticism was about to be uttered as it was constantly misinterpreted.

Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

that's a shame - I've got lots of funny female friends. And I'm surprised, you coming from Liverpool an' all - lots of sharp wit there amongst both sexes, in my experience.
 Alyson 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno: The most naturally funny person I know is female although I take your point that there are more funny men than women. It's not a sexist observation, although to dismiss all women as being unfunny is perhaps taking things too far.

I wonder if it's perhaps to do with testosterone making men more competitive from a young age - boys being more prone to fighting with each other and learning the art of the witty put-down. It's not a skill young girls need as much. I might be thinking too hard about it though!
 thin bob 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:
'course women are funny!
look at 'em trying to catch a ball

i refer the hounourable gentleman to the answers above.. And Mrs Doyle. you want to laugh. you know you do. G'wan!
 Flying Monkey 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> removing ourselves from the public eye for a moment, what about women you know as, say, friends or relatives? do you expect them to sit round looking awestruck while you and your buddies crack the jokes?

Well said.
Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Alyson:

Actually,I tell a lie my step daughter is bloody hilarious. A totally off the wall neurotic nut case who has me in stitches.

Who knows... perhaps she'll go on to make me eat my words !

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/eryrglas/mim.jpg?t=1219395136
 tlm 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:
> Watching Mock the Week last night with the latest occasional token woman role played by Lucy Porter. It just reinforced the fact that when it comes to comedy women just aren't funny.

They are.

It's just that you have a terrible sense of humour.

See - I bet you're not even laughing at that one! heh heh
 ayuplass 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:
do you mean that no women are ever funny or are you asking why there arent more female comedians? Because if its the former I think you are talking out of your ar*e
 Blue Roses 22 Aug 2008
In reply to tlm: I thought that was quite funny!

hawhaw

Bingly Bong is very funny.

Jonno - do you never laugh at any of the jones women on here make?

Sad you really, I know lots of funny women and men.
Paul F 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to Jonno) boys being more prone to fighting with each other and learning the art of the witty put-down. It's not a skill young girls need as much.

not until later in life. eh!

;0)
 Flatlander 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

ever thought that most women might not find what you find funny?
 Tom Last 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

I think that everyone in Mock the Week is trying to hard anyway. It's just a poor copy of Whose Line is it Anyway.

Think that Dawn French is funny. Victoria Wood was too once upon a time.

Enjoyed Smack the Pony and also the woman from the Fast Show (does my bum look big in this).

Plenty on the radio too, the late Linda Smith for example.

Charlotte Church was great on HIGNFY etc...
 Blue Roses 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Alyson: ay, might also be part of how men relate. Working in all male environments, or spending time with all men can be loads of fun as they probably crack more jokes. To me it's a way to show affection to each other, sometimes sets order of who's top dog (at work).

Women talk about a lot more topics of conversation (been shown in numerous studies) and talk about emotions more.

Some men relate the same way with women, and I find it quite tiring and less relaxing than the occasional bit of repartee, especially if you're trying to talk about how you feel!

Although I must say, I am incredibly funny myself.
I don't need to do it all the time!
 winhill 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Missed most of it last night but Lucy Porter is usually very funny.

Shazia Mirza, well what can you say outrageously funny.
 Alyson 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Paul F:
> (In reply to Alyson)
> [...]
>
> not until later in life. eh!
>
> ;0)

Yeah, not until you're old enough to hit the internet forums. Then the abuse starts and launches you onto a steep learning curve...

He called me a WHAT??

(Cue much keyboard-bashing and a stream of words you never thought you'd see yourself type)
Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Blue Roses:

>
> Jonno - do you never laugh at any of the jones women on here make?>>

I haven't come across UKC's funny 'Jones Women' ????

Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> Missed most of it last night but Lucy Porter is usually very funny.>>>

Well I wouldn't tell her to her face mind. At least not until after we had shared a post coital cigarette together.

Blue Roses 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno: oops, that was -

Jonno - do you never laugh at any of the jokes women on here make?>>

typo

Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Blue Roses:
> (In reply to Jonno) oops, that was -
>
> Jonno - do you never laugh at any of the jokes women on here make?>>
>
>
> typo>>>

I guessed....now that was quite funny !

dek 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Blue Roses:
> (In reply to Jonno) oops, that was -
> Jonno - do you never laugh at any of the jokes women on here make?>>
> You some kinda comic?
You trying to be 'funny' pal?!
 Blue Roses 22 Aug 2008
In reply to dek:
> (In reply to Blue Roses)
> [...]
> You trying to be 'funny' pal?!

No, I daren't on this thread. I know my place.
 graeme jackson 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> Loads Jonno....check out the Edinburgh Festival....

Don't bother. We saw the best of the fest last week and the token woman stand up was crap. Mind you, so were the rest apart from the coked-up canadian compere. (and a pair of mohicaned chinese guys doing slapstick)
 dek 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Blue Roses:
> (In reply to dek)
> No, I daren't on this thread. I know my place.
Your just having Ronnie Corbet moment!
 Mike Stretford 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> I once went out with a woman from Basingstoke who was just lost by my traditional black scouse sarcastic sense of humour.

Scouse self mythologising has it that Liverpool his home to great humour... but where are these great Scouse comedians? Paul O Grady and Stan Boardman don't really cut the mustard.

Socially, I notice men make other men laugh, and women make women laugh... bit of a generalisation but you get the jist.

dek 22 Aug 2008
In reply to graeme jackson:
Any idea what the 'best one liner' voted for at the festival is? (Amy Winehouse topic apparently?
 graeme jackson 22 Aug 2008
In reply to dek: Nope - don't follow the festival much. We were out on my drummer's stag night.
 David Peters 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno: Another vote for the sadly missed Linda Smith, she was fantastically funny, able to think on her feet and produce genuinely funny material with no (apparent) effort.
Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to Jonno)
> [...]
>
> Scouse self mythologising has it that Liverpool his home to great humour..

I don't think Scouse humour is to be found in the repertoire of Stan Boardman or Paul o Grady. It's a street level thing. Just how ordinary people react to everyday situations. I've just found Scouse humour to be darkly fatalistic. I think places like Bolton and Newcastle deal with the heavy stuff in the same humourous way.
ELZEE 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:Women arn't funny in general until you decice to divorce one, suddenly they become hilarious.
Gothy 22 Aug 2008
because women naturally laugh *at* men, a lot & often
Gobbycoot 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

A dyslexic guy walks into a bra...

(am I funny?)
 tlm 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Blue Roses:
> (In reply to tlm) I thought that was quite funny!
>
> hawhaw

See - you have a GOOD sense of humour!
 tlm 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Gobbycoot:
> A dyslexic guy walks into a bra...
>
> (am I funny?)

Is that the same guy that paid to spend the night in a warehouse?

...and who worshiped dog?

Taba 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Jo Brand is f*cking hilarious, but in general your right.
martinchick 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

I thought the woman on Never mind the Buzzcocks was quite funny last night. Thought it was quite clever the way she played the ditzy girl but clearly knew what was going on.

Gina Yashere (sp?) is quite funny too.
 Al Evans 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Taba: Lucille Ball?
 sutty 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Rhona Cameron is quite good on panel shows as well as on stage.
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

one thing I *have* noticed, is that some men tend to get really tetchy if they're in a group with men and women and a woman turns out to be wittier than them, particularly if the man styles himself as the 'wit' of the group.

personally, I just make the assumption that he has a really small cock.

mmm, sweeping generalisations, doncha just love 'em?
 DougG 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

> mmm, sweeping generalisations, doncha just love 'em?

As a rule, they tend not to be that accurate.
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to DougG:

hee hee
 220bpm 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
>
> Joan Rivers

Saw her at the festival last week, proper hilarious

But for every Joan Rivers there is five Rhona Camerons.......
 Wingnut 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
::oD
 thin bob 22 Aug 2008
In reply to 220bpm:
> (In reply to Lord of Starkness)
> [...]
>
>
> But for every Joan Rivers there is five Rhona Camerons.......

What, made from the bits left over after facelifts?
No, puhlease! oH! oh!
In reply to Jonno:

>
> Still....like lambs to the slaughter they put themselves forward for shows like this and then just sit with silly grins on their faces, contributing nothing as the guys let rip. Why ?
>

Because the 'humour' gene is carried by the Y chromosone and thus only passed down the male line...... sorry, enough of what Jonno wants to here....

I thought 'Smack the Pony' was great, especially Sally Phillips.

Worth remember how many crap male comedians have been in vogue at various times..... I mean Ben Elton FFS!
In reply to Papillon: Aslo, I've seen Mock the Week, and 'while the guys let rip' is a bit misleading.... the whole show is carried by that Scottish bloke in the specs (name anyone?).
 krikoman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Papillon: Frankie Boyle he's great.

Women aren't funny because they don't have c*cks! And how can they hope to compete with that?
 dek 22 Aug 2008
In reply to krikoman: Frankie says
"Amy Winehouse now look's like a Horse Cruelty Poster"
Ouch!
soveda@work 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Didn't you post this very question before?
 krikoman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: you got it 100%
But size isn't everything you know that though don't you?
 raphael 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno: Women arent funny because they dont understand humour as well. They just laugh at what is considered socially funny or laugh at a mans jokes if they like him.

Women are always measuring, trying to work out if a man is good enough for them or if they think he has some social status. They dont care about genuine humour or entertainment because they are too socially entrained and dont know how to let go. Even if they tell jokes they are usually just socially observed remarks or half catty comments. Some women ARE funny yet they really are the minority. They are also the type who can love unconditionally. Humour is so related to freedom and thats why women dont understand. They would rather play games of looking good, measuring males, or manipulating people into buying things for them to prove how special they are.
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to raphael:

raphael, you're an odd chap if you believe all that.

Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to soveda@work:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> Didn't you post this very question before?>>>

You must be joking ! No hang on...you're probably right?

Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to raphael:
> (In reply to Jonno) Women arent funny because they dont understand humour as well. They just laugh at what is considered socially funny or laugh at a mans jokes if they like him.>>>

That must be why my partner keeps saying things like..'It's funny what I see in you'...you're a bit of a joke really' and stuff like that.

krikoman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to raphael:
> (In reply to Jonno) Women arent funny because they dont understand humour as well. They just laugh at what is considered socially funny or laugh at a mans jokes if they like him.
>
> Women are always measuring, trying to work out if a man is good enough for them or if they think he has some social status. They dont care about genuine humour or entertainment because they are too socially entrained and dont know how to let go. Even if they tell jokes they are usually just socially observed remarks or half catty comments. Some women ARE funny yet they really are the minority. They are also the type who can love unconditionally. Humour is so related to freedom and thats why women dont understand. They would rather play games of looking good, measuring males, or manipulating people into buying things for them to prove how special they are.

WOW, nice point about the funny women being unconditional lovers - never thought about that before but you're right. The best relationships I've had are with people who are funny and enjoy a laugh. Or perhaps they need to to be with me?

Also, just a though but, aren’t the funny, unconditional loving women more like MEN? not physically obviously but physiologically
 raphael 22 Aug 2008
In reply to raphael: The real answer is laughter is related to nothingness which is closer to the male as a female is more everythingness. hmm a real woman should be relating to nothingness more and so can laugh, wheras most women are social creatures and stuck in their everythingness.
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to raphael:

do you get to have sex very often?
 krikoman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
Only when he's soloing
 raphael 22 Aug 2008
In reply to krikoman: The nice women are not more like men. Its actually the more social ones who are more manly, they are ladettes arent they?

No the women who can laugh are sublime. There is no end to the joy of being with such a woman, they light up the room. They are gentle, funny and dont try to belittle your cock.
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to krikoman:

at least it's with someone who's funny and who can love him unconditionally
Bingly Bong 22 Aug 2008
In reply to raphael: That must be the answer then - Although I'd like to think there was more to me than nothing, but less of me than everything...

Hmmmm

raphael 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: Do you get to feel true love very often?
 krikoman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to raphael: My cock can belittle itself, it doesn't need help

Or pity for that matter
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to raphael:

yes I do.

aren't I the lucky one
grynneman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Frankie Boyle. Saw him live a couple of months ago, OK, but was a lot of stuff taken from his mock the week stuff.

Funny Women. Linda Smith, again. Caroline Aherne, has a fantastic ear for language. Jennifer Saunders. Hinge & Brackett.

Not Funny Women. Dawn French. Period.
Bingly Bong 22 Aug 2008
In reply to grynneman: Jeez, yes - Hinge and Brackett!!

I'd totally forgotten about them!
 raphael 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: Am I? Or have I just got your goat because you are that type of woman I have described.
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to raphael:

heehee, I'm definitely not the 'trying to impress the blokes' type. It would seem that i've got yours though.

it's okay - apparently it's what you do with it that counts...
 krikoman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: Give him his goat back.

What's he suposed to do for sex now?
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to krikoman:

stoppit!

In reply to Jonno:
>
>

Then there's Arabella Weir and Caroline Aherne in the Fast Show (personal favourite) who's performances couldn't be distinguished from the blokes in terms of quality. Some of Aherne's Mrs Merton shows are rightly considered classics.

krikoman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: Ok sorry Miss
I'll be good I promise
 Ridge 22 Aug 2008
In reply to martinchick:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> I thought the woman on Never mind the Buzzcocks was quite funny last night. Thought it was quite clever the way she played the ditzy girl but clearly knew what was going on.

Kristen Schaal.
Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to Jonno)
> [...]
>
> Then there's Arabella Weir and Caroline Aherne in the Fast Show (personal favourite)>>>

'Does my bum look big in this ' repeated ad-nauseum every week didn't do it for me I'm afraid.
Caroline Aherne does/did? have real comic depth but she appears to have gone off the rails.

dek 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Bingly Bong:
> (In reply to grynneman) Jeez, yes - Hinge and Brackett!!
>
> I'd totally forgotten about them!
Les Dawson and his mate, as the two Grumpy Wimmin!
 JimMcQ 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

I always thought Jennifer Saunders was an anti-funny person.

Caroline Ahern must have known my in laws, they are the Royle family.
 tlm 22 Aug 2008
In reply to raphael:
> (In reply to Jonno) Women arent funny because they dont understand humour as well. They just laugh at what is considered socially funny or laugh at a mans jokes if they like him.

Oooo! This says a lot more about you, and your relationships with women than it does about women's humour! Someone's feeling sore, aren't they?
 Alyson 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno: As well as the names already mentioned I have to add Josie Lawrence. Watched a lot of the repeats of Who's Line is it Anyway? when that Dave channel first launched and she was brilliant on that - especially the round where they had to come up with a song on the spur of the moment. She's obviously very quick thinking as well as massively funny.
 tlm 22 Aug 2008
In reply to krikoman:
> Also, just a though but, aren’t the funny, unconditional loving women more like MEN? not physically obviously but physiologically

Ah - now what is the symbol for staring at you, eyes agape, chin hanging down my chest????

So - definition of "maleness" = funny, and able to love unconditionally? If a woman is funny, it's only because she is like a man? Hmmmmmmm....

Where HAVE you grown up??? What sort of women are you mixing with, for god's sakes? You need to get out there in the world, and meet some real women!!! Quick!!!!

krikoman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to tlm: No no honest I was just pointing out something to Raph.

It's not what I think honest.

And he probably is sore he's been shagging a goat!! FFS
Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to Jonno) As well as the names already mentioned I have to add Josie Lawrence.>>>

Ahh yes...Josie Lawrence who manages to puncture two stereotypes.

That women can't be quick witted and funny

That Midlanders can't be quick witted and funny !

Ian Jones 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> [...]
>
> No...still don't know any really amusing female friends who will have my biting the table to contain my mirth ?
>
> There are probably cultural things going on which impact upon how one receives humour. I once went out with a woman from Basingstoke who was just lost by my traditional black scouse sarcastic sense of humour. In the end I really had to bite my lip every time some witticism was about to be uttered as it was constantly misinterpreted.

Maybe it's you who isn't funny

grynneman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to JimMcQ:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> I always thought Jennifer Saunders was an anti-funny person.

Sporadic. Jam & Jerusalem was well written and nicely observed. The Vivian Vyle(?) show co-written with a therapist was dire.
grynneman 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to Alyson)
> [...]
>
>
> Ahh yes...Josie Lawrence
>
And Caroline Quentin. Bring back The Masterson Inheritance.
 Tall Clare 22 Aug 2008
In reply to grynneman:

Sarah Silverman, anyone?
 daveyw 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Bingly Bong:
> (In reply to grynneman) Jeez, yes - Hinge and Brackett!!
>
> I'd totally forgotten about them!

Hang on. Weren't they men?

Bingly Bong 22 Aug 2008
In reply to daveyw: I was young - I couldnt tell...

And I still don't know for sure!
Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to The Purple Pimpernel:
> (In reply to Jonno)
> [...]
>
> Maybe it's you who isn't funny>>

How can an Evertonian NOT have a sense of humour ehh ?

Kriko 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: Yes I'll have one, if they're free!
trevor simpson 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Nighty Night was one of the funniest sitcoms ever
 Lemony 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno: Well I'm sure I'll be accused of having a rubbish sense of humour but I've always found Mel and Sue tremendously funny and Lucy Porter is probably the funniest comedian I've seen live.
trevor simpson 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Lemony:

> Lucy Porter is probably the funniest comedian I've seen live.

I can't decide whether I want shag her or punch her stupid smirking face in

tlm 22 Aug 2008
In reply to trevor simpson:
> I can't decide whether I want shag her or punch her stupid smirking face in

Don't worry - you probably are never going to get a chance to do either!

anansie 22 Aug 2008
In reply to thin bob:

Mrs Doyle is like so many old aunties of yore So funny!

Smack the Pony lasses were quite funny too
 daveyw 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Bingly Bong:
> (In reply to daveyw) I was young - I couldnt tell...
>
> And I still don't know for sure!

please be careful then and try not to fall for the charms of a funny lady with an adams apple

Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to trevor simpson:
> (In reply to Lemony)
>
> [...]
>
> I can't decide whether I want shag her or punch her stupid smirking face in>>

Surely the former unless you are a jealous humourless lesbian ?

Knitting Norah 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Thora Hird
June Whitfield
Hattie Jacques
Barbara Windsor
Joan Simms
Lucille ball
All the women in Last of the Summer Wine, they really are a class act!
 BrianT 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Richard Horn:
> (In reply to Bingly Bong)
> [...]
>
> Does that include Ab Fab? I thought that was one of the funniest sitcoms ever!

My OH was the role model for Edina Monsoon. Her and Saunders obviously crossed paths sometime back in the 80s and Jennifer thought: "Aha!"

Strange but true.
Skaredykat 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Knitting Norah:

Irene Handl
 anonymouse 22 Aug 2008
In reply to BrianT:
> My OH was the role model for Edina Monsoon. Her and Saunders obviously crossed paths sometime back in the 80s and Jennifer thought: "Aha!"
Steve Coogan overheard and the rest is history.
Knitting Norah 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Hilda Baker
Dora Bryan
Beryl Reid
Pat Haynes
Faith Brown
Pauline Daniels
Rennie Houston
Youtha Joyce

Humour is a very persoanl thing, I can get the giggles at the stupidest of things that others would not see as funny. It also depends on the mood we are in. Some of my friends and relations are hilariously funny, especially my two sisters. Two of us may be over sixty but we can still embroider every day happenings into hysterical things. And my poor brother in law comes in for some cracking comments when his wife (my older sister)and I are with him. Many are the times we have all laughed until we have cried. Mind you we have to get him back, he does things like tying the toes of her tights together if she falls asleep and then asking her to make a brew as she wakens up. He accepts the clout with the TV Times as just reward for seeing her stumble as she tries to get up!

JimMcQ 22 Aug 2008

Hattie Jacques!!!
Gobbycoot 22 Aug 2008
In reply to thin bob:
> (In reply to Jonno)
> 'course women are funny!
> > look at 'em trying to catch a ball

Goodness...you should see me try to THROW a ball (or anything else)...now THAT's hilarious!
 Duncan Bourne 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:
I think that women on TV used to be funnier
Elanor Bron
Victoria Wood
Julie Walters
etc
Lara Croft 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Catherine Tate has me in stitches.

x

morphus 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno: sandi toksvig can be quite witty
Removed User 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to grynneman)
>
> Sarah Silverman, anyone?

Oh yes please, even if she wasn't funny. Which she is, extremely so.

"Everyone blames the Jews for the death of Jesus, and the Jews blame the Romans. I actually believe it was the blacks."
Jonno 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Lara Croft:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
> Catherine Tate has me in stitches.>>>

Was it something you said? Even so, getting bottled by Doctor Who's assistant is it bit extreme !

Dominion 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Ab Fab has been mentioned already, but Jane Horrocks hasn't...

Josie Lawrence - only really saw her yonks ago on Clive Anderson's Whose Line Is It Anyway?
 raphael 22 Aug 2008
maybe men and women have a different sense of humour then? I'll concede at that if anyone wants to call it a draw.

men -1 women- 1
 omerta 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Love Joan Rivers, Sandi Toksvig and Linda Smith was great, too...also rated Lauren Laverne on MTW (I think...) a couple of weeks ago saying that Simon Cowell was...'cutting the cultural throat of Britain.'

Claudia Winkleman sometimes comes out with some good lines, too.

But on balance, would much rather Frankie Boyle any day of the week....his Princess Di memorial concert joke was just evil genius
 Ian_Whitfield 22 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno:

Sorry to disagree Jonno but IMO Julie Walters, Dawn French, Victoria Wood and Whoopi Goldberg are up there with the best.
 sutty 22 Aug 2008

Maureen Lipman to add to the list.
mick o the north 23 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno: Scouse humour is an oxymoron . Mind you they usually have the last laugh when riding off in your car .
mick o the north 23 Aug 2008
In reply to ianl.whitfield: presumably you have a good giggle at toothache aswell ?
 krikoman 26 Aug 2008
In reply to Jonno: Pauline calf!
 Ian Jones 27 Aug 2008

Faith Brown!!!

God I was gutted when she cancelled last year at The Fringe.
What a woman .............
Jen79 27 Aug 2008
In reply to Lemony:
> (In reply to Jonno) Well I'm sure I'll be accused of having a rubbish sense of humour but I've always found Mel and Sue tremendously funny and Lucy Porter is probably the funniest comedian I've seen live.

I would agree to both of those. Saw Lucy Porter on her last tour and she was excellent, seen Sue Perkins do stand up too also very funny. I agree that there are a fair number of female comics that tend to do the tampons and pmt comendy routine which is terrible but then there are also male comics who put a swear word in after every other word just to get a laugh - NOT FUNNY!
 krikoman 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Jen79: Arseholes!
 Mita 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Jen79:
> (In reply to Lemony)
> [...]
>
> I would agree to both of those. Saw Lucy Porter on her last tour and she was excellent, seen Sue Perkins do stand up too also very funny. I agree that there are a fair number of female comics that tend to do the tampons and pmt comendy routine which is terrible but then there are also male comics who put a swear word in after every other word just to get a laugh - NOT FUNNY!

Eddie Murphy is funny........
Jon Hemlock 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Mita:
> (In reply to Jen79)
> [...]
>
> Eddie Murphy is funny........

He's not a woman.
 Mita 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Jon Hemlock: Relating to the last bit of the above post.... How observant are you :-p
 eppa 29 Aug 2008
Daisy Donovan is funny
 eppa 29 Aug 2008
In reply to eppa: p.s. she also once stole a carton of eggs off me when I lived in Belsize Park, London. Belsize Park is a funny name, too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...