UKC

Table Mountain - Cape Town

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jim Nicoll 28 Aug 2008
Worth taking a day out from a non climbing trip to walk/climb up this ?

Route or any other info welcome. Thanks.
yamabushi 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:
Definately. I did a route there about 10yrs ago, a combination of pitches on routes called africa wall and africa crag(?). One involved a stunning traverse, which I rate as one of the best ever rock climbs I've done. Still not managed to return there...
Winter Blue 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Iainhw:

Definitely

Try Kloof Corner Ridge - a kind of grade three scramble and wonderful. Chains on most technical sections but huge exposure.

Chris F 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll: Definitely. You can get up ther using a variety of ways, from the cable car to an easy but steep walk to scrambling right up to roped trad routes at about E9. Once at the top it is quite featureless, but a large area, so if you fancy a walk about either stick to marked paths or take a map and compass, as if the cloud comes in (as it often does and can do very quicky) it is quite easy to get disorientated and lost. Views are great in all directions.
 Cathy 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll: It is absolutely worth going up Table Mountain. However when I was there this January tourists were being warned not to go up the mountain alone because of the danger of mugging. And potential muggers will be heavily armed. It is hard to know in South Africa where there is real danger and where people are being unjustifiably paranoid, particularly in the advice given to tourists. I would inquire at the Cape Town section of the Mountain Club of South Africa about how safe the mountain currently is, and where you should or shouldn't go.
Mountain Club of South Africa
Cape Town Section
97 Hatfield Street, Cape Town 8001
E-mail: mcsacapetown@iafrica.com
Fax: (27-21) - 461 8456
Tel: (27-21) - 465 3412 (10:00-14:00)
 stewart murray 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll: I'd endorse previous comments - the climbing is fantastic. Was on a family holiday in SA last year and hired a guide for a day's climbing. Cost about £100 but they provided transport and I got a lot more done than if I'd tried to find my own way around. Would recommend this option if you have the funds.
Sircumfrins 28 Aug 2008
In reply to Cathy: Trust me, the paranoia is justified!
cipciripcip 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll: been there last November. Walk or climb - it's worth it. Just remember - although it's in the middle of the city - it's still a mountain! We had to pull our hats and gloves and windstoppers out (and we still were cold) - even if 15 min earlier it was really, really warm!

Enjoy ur trip! Cape Town is just awesome, such a shame about crime problem etc...
Jim Nicoll 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

Many thanks for all the info. - have in mind a walk/easier route taking in as much of the mountain as poss., so that scramble sounds good. Will contact SA club for guides/up to date info.
 Y Gribin 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

Last I heard, the most problematic part of the mountain was the Kirstenbosch side...a couple of walking routes take you out of the gardens and up the back of the mountain. They've had muggings etc.

However, I'd not let this put you off. Just don't carry anything valuable (obviously applies in all of CPT).

God, I wish I was there.....!
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

Another vote for Kloof Corner Ridge - an excellent day out that takes you past much of the good rock climbing too. Deffo worth grade II if not III as the chained parts are pretty steep.

I found directions on the net when I was there earlier this year but can't immediately find them now I'm afraid - it basically takes the R hand skyline of Table mountain (as seen from CT) up to the final steep buttress (where most of the climbing is) before traversing Rward into a valley that leads to the top - route finding was pretty straightforward.

Trangia 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

Right Face-Arrow Face traverse is one of the best scrambles on the mountain. It's a grade 4D (British 3 +) and starts at the lower cable car station. It follows Venster Buttress, across Arrow Face then a remarkable LH traverse which actually goes INSIDE the mountain under tha Africa Crag climbs, before descending Right Face, Yellowstone Gully and Union Ravine.

The exposure id terrific.

Get a copy of Mike Lundy's "Best Walks in the Cape Peninsula" in CT. It's walk no 2 in that.

I strongly recommend hiring a guide for a day's rock climbing. The routes are stunning and the rock really good - like a giant Font in texture.

I can strongly recommend a guide to you if you email me.
 Trangia 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Iainhw:

There are some pics of Africa Crag in my gallery
yamabushi 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Trangia:
Nice pics. I think you have one of the route I did, referring to my guidebook it was the first pitch of Africa Wall followed by the walk along africa ledge to the LH end followed by Africa crag. I loved that traverse with cape town under my left elbow.
 Trangia 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Iainhw:

That's exactly the route I did. Brilliant combination of routes, fantastic exposure and great rock. There is a pic of the traverse on the second page of my gallery.

You didn't climb it with Anthony Hall by any chance?
yamabushi 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Trangia:
No, a guide called Ross Suter
 Ireddek 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

Oh I'm sooo jealous as it's where my big adventure in climbing started! Right by the cable station at the top there's an outfit called "Absail Africa" - they've got all the kit set out so anyone can do a 120m absail (biggest commercial one in the world.) It's absolutely amazing & if you time it right you see some whales, Robben Island, beaches, etc. on the way down... beautiful! +/- £30 but worth it many times over.

For climbing info try http://www.climb.co.za/ as it's a mini version of UKC'ish. Also try the climbing centre in Observatory called City Rock as they're pretty good & organise all kinds of trips out which you can sign up for http://www.cityrock.co.za/

Have fun, but remember this is still a wet part of the year down that way now & beware of the southeasterly wind as it can get pretty hairy. Paarl in the winelands also has some fab climbing if you plan to do some wine tasting.

Got some space in your backpack...?
 steveP 29 Aug 2008
In reply to Jim Nicoll:

Yes.

Jacobs ladder is the climb to do. It's about VS, hugely exposed, huge jugs and easy to protect.

In reply to Jim Nicoll: I climbed with Ross Suter last November, he took me up the Africa Ledge /Africa Crag route in the morning and Jacobs Ladder in the afternoon. Definately worth the money (£108) for an unforgettable day out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...