UKC

NEW ARTICLE: I Want That Job! Chris Craggs, Guidebook Writer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 01 Sep 2008
In this article series I Want That Job! I'll be interviewing people from various professions within the climbing world. If you think your job is a dream come true (it has to be climbing related) and if you're willing to be interviewed - then drop me a line. Likewise if you can think of a job that you'd like to have - suggest it in the forums and I'll try and track someone down.

Chris Craggs is a regular face on the UKC forums, usually causing a bit of mischief. He has been involved in guidebook production for at least 300 years, and has recently ticked his 1000th route at Stanage. Here he gives us the ins and outs (and ups and downs!) of guidebook writing...

"After all these years I still get upset by the critics who knock my books, and I guess I always will..."

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1086
 Tall Clare 01 Sep 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

300 years? blimey! and they said there was no such thing as a job for life any more...
 Henry L Buckle 01 Sep 2008
Wow. the furnishings in your office are truly breathtaking.
 Jimmy D 01 Sep 2008
In reply to Henry Loveless:

Good to see someone defying the tyranny of minimalism and the cream dream
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Sep 2008
In reply to Jimmy D:

The decor helps me stay awake when I have deadlines to meet!

Chris
 brieflyback 01 Sep 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Aaargh! I've gone blind!
rich 01 Sep 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: ha ha

<whispers> anything on grit do you think . . ?
 Graham T 01 Sep 2008
In reply to Martin76:
That looks like a room my granny would have decorated
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Sep 2008
In reply to Graham T:
> (In reply to Martin76)
> That looks like a room my granny would have decorated

She may well have done, its the only room in the flat we haven't redecorated in the 20 years we have been here. I have been a bit too busy!

Chris

That is a curious photo. I have been in that room loads of times and I can't remember the decoration ever appearing as dramatic as it does there, in fact I have never really even noticed it before.

Alan
 TobyA 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Alan James - UKC: It's well known the the brain can block horrific images Al! Expect Post Traumatic Furnishing Stress Disorder to set in at some point in the future though...
 Dee 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: One can't have too many copies of one's own guidebook...
In reply to Dee:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs) One can't have too many copies of one's own guidebook...

Quite agree. I have around 50,000 although I am trying to shift a few of them!

Alan
 Dee 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Following up the advice that Chris gives in his article, is there anything you could add to other would-be guidebook writers (and escapees from the educational system)?
In reply to Dee:
> Following up the advice that Chris gives in his article, is there anything you could add to other would-be guidebook writers (and escapees from the educational system)?

- Be prepared to work very hard for a long time for no money
- Don't expect a liveable income until you have at least 5 books in print as the major author
- Be prepared to spend 20 hours in front of the screen for every 1 hour you spend at the crag researching
- Remember the golden rule: whenever you publish a guidebook, someone, somewhere will be annoyed
- Don't try to self-publish
- Have a Plan B

If you are still interested then drop me an email.

Alan
 Alex Roddie 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
> - Be prepared to work very hard for a long time for no money
> - Don't expect a liveable income until you have at least 5 books in print as the major author
> - Be prepared to spend 20 hours in front of the screen for every 1 hour you spend at the crag researching
> - Remember the golden rule: whenever you publish a guidebook, someone, somewhere will be annoyed
> - Don't try to self-publish
> - Have a Plan B

Also very good advice for those planning a career as a novelist.

Thank got I have a masochistic streak a mile wide!!
 Dee 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Thanks Alan.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Sep 2008
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

All those are very true - but you have to start somewhere - MiniGuides and Articles are good for getting feel. Until you have actually tried, the amount of time a single page takes is unbelievable!

But if you never try you will never know!

Chris

(just back from getting damp at Tintwhistle and soaked at Rob's Rocks)!
 Jody 12 Sep 2008

Lovely climbing guides, I flick through the Peak Gritstone East regularly when on the bog in Helsinki.

Is that really a pic of you doing the Swan in 1998?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Sep 2008
In reply to Jody:

Well when I scanned and captioned the slide it was 10 years since I had done the route! So the ascen twas probably nearer 1988!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...