UKC

JOHN DUNNE LIVE TUESDAY 5pm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jude calvert-toulmin 23 Jul 2001
Yes folks, he's coming round to my place to attempt to beat Johnny's record at thrashing the kids at "buccanneer" and to partake in one of my slap-up meals, i think i'll do chicken korma followed by vodka sorbet. and in between answer some questions, so get posting now!

and before you meet him live, check this out first: john dunne's ace new website

in between typing i will of course be whispering in his ear "so john, did you or didn't you?"

only kidding
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin:

that Flash 5 on your website kicks ass dunney. i love the shivery letters as its loading. is that something to do with when your legs turn to jelly when you're climbing? well, mine do i guess yours dont!

i love the way the index on the left bounces up and down like its on a piece of elastic as well. cool!
Marc C. 23 Jul 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: Very dull I know, but I'd be interested in what types of training John does ? And what general advice he wouldgive to the average climber trying to improve his or her grade ?

I suspect the q's that many climbers would like to ask him would be 'did you really climb Parthian Shot?' and/or 'Why do you think it is that your ascents (in particular) have been queried ?'. There seems to be a parallel here with the Jeffrey Archer case here, in that John must not only have fibbed himself, but also got other people (photographer, belayers) to tell lies on his behalf. Can John and his witnesses produce their diaries for the day(s) in question - so that these can be subjected to forensic analysis ? (Is there an entry for the day of the ascent that reads 'Climbed Parthian Shot', which when placed under an infrared lamp reveals a 'deleted' entry saying '
'Went shopping in Bradford. Had an early night' ?)
John 23 Jul 2001
In reply to Marc C.: I certainly hope that this discussion doesn't degrade into a "did you, didn't you" debate. I hope we can find some rather more interesting questions to ask .....
 Adam Lincoln 23 Jul 2001
In reply to Marc C.:
Why should he have to prove he did the route Marc? John knows he did the route....Isnt that want counts? And I dont see John being to worried about? Do you?

In reply to Adam and John: boys, boys, Marc C has blazed a trail overnight on rocktalk for his wild, surrealistic vision of life, expressed through his preposterously talented Philip K Dick-like writing. correct me if i'm wrong but i think Marc has brought this up as a sort of joke, wittily relating it to the archer case.

i mean, of course someone's going to ask it, i think they did already on last week's thread, and im sure John Dunne will have something to say about it. (like "yawn" probably, but we'll have to wait and see, i have yet to meet the man).
Bile chanter 23 Jul 2001

I would be interested to hear about his training. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Dunne used to train like a bastard whilst 'a little on the tubby side', then diet before doing a mega-route to make it 'see easy'(!)

Is this true or crag-shit?

On the PS issue - I don't get it really. Unless it turns out to be the climbing worlds biggest hoax (in which case count me as one of the suckers) isn't all the non-belief just sour grapes?

It seems a shame that John (Dawes) can't get over this. Apart from the PS issue, the rest of his interview with RockTalk was almost starting to sound reasonable (for him)!

Cheers
Marc C. 23 Jul 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: Thanks Jude ! I thought that I'd posted a sensible question to ask John, and then commented
on the absurdity/futility of the 'Did he or didn't he ?' debate. Explains whenever I give directions people always go the opposite way !
In reply to Bile chanter: Johnny has got absolutely no sour grapes about this at all. He just categorically stated his belief. He didnt state it bitterly, he stated it as a matter of fact. He doesnt sit around wasting his time chewing over mumbo jumbo like this in his head. He is one of the most creative thinkers i've ever met.
In reply to Marc C.: yup, me too. you do not ever want me as a co-driver
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: ive got to go and take photographs now so if anyone asks anything im not ignoring them, im working. i'll try and check back in tonight.
Bile chanter 23 Jul 2001

Isn't everything about belief though? And whether bitter or matter-of-fact, it's still a diss. And if I recall, he expressed a 'feeling' that he couldn't really define or back up. (eg I have a very strong feeling that my neighbours dog is defecating in my garden but I have no proof!)

As to Johnny's character, I intend no disrespect in my comments. His climbing CV and attitudes to life speak for themself
Marc C. 23 Jul 2001
In reply to John: John, if you're the same chap who 'misread' my 'falling' post last Monday, we must stop meeting like this !
My position on the PS affair is that UNLESS someone's got any CONCRETE evidence that John Dunne didn't do it, then we accept that he did do it (the same as we do with all other claims). Using the Archer case as an analogy, I
was mocking those who keep raising the question - i.e. are they seriously assuming that he bribed witnesses
(belayers/photographers) like Archer did ? If so, the onus is on them to provide the evidence or shut up.
Like you, I hope the live chat doesn't degenerate into a PS inquest. That's why I wanted to ask about his training
- but as JCT and I recognise, the PS questions are bound to be on people's lips (or keyboards), given Johnny Dawes' comments on the last live chat.

Mattyk 23 Jul 2001
In reply to Marc C.: I'm a little unsure what all the PS fuss is about - I thought it was E9 7a or somehting - he's climbed harder (well scarier E10) so why the debate?
John 23 Jul 2001
In reply to Marc C.: I wasn't criticising what YOU posted Marc ... not at all. I was merely stating that if the conversation descends into a petty "did you / didn't you" debate, firstly, John will just go home, and secondly, it will be a great opportunity to ask him some interesting questions ....

BTW - I'm sure you said go right at the roundabout ...
John 23 Jul 2001
In reply to Marc C. who wrote <John, if you're the same chap who 'misread' my 'falling' post last Monday, we must stop meeting like this!> ... hmmm ... it's Monday again isn't it!!
BrianT 23 Jul 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: Ahhh! Good to be back, as Mr Glitter once said.

Don't forget his favourite crisps Jude!
In reply to BrianT: Glitter is a scumbag of the lowest order Bry. dont mention his name to me. i get cross.

as to dunney's fave crisps, well i will def ask him that as soon as he walks through the door!
BrianT 23 Jul 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: Yes I agree about Glitter. Shouldn't have used his name in jest, really. Not funny, not clever. Having dogshit in your hair is more amusing than anything to do with him.
In reply to BrianT: you're excused bry for making me laugh everytime you post and being a thoroughly good bloke which i know from your emails and msms. but bloody hell these questions are a bit slooooooooow aren't they? come on boys (and girls)!
Gareth Stott 23 Jul 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: To be exceptionally dull....
What's his fave route and why?
Is he ever gonna climb that wall left of New statesmen?
What pint would he have with his crisps?
Dave Collier 23 Jul 2001
In reply to Gareth Stott:

I've seen chalk on that wall left of New Statesman sp if it's not him, who is it?
Gareth Stott 23 Jul 2001
In reply to Dave Collier: I've seen him working it ages ago(2-3 years ago at least). Seemed like there was one move off a small edge he couldn't do. He was carrying a few extra pounds at the time......

Think others have been trying it(Robin Barker?).
Dave Collier 23 Jul 2001

How does JD train anyway? I never see him at Leeds Climbing Wall. Does he have his own cellar? I know he boulders quite a lot but he must do something else somehwere - or does he just go down the chippy?
 Adam Lincoln 23 Jul 2001
In reply to Dave Collier:

Warrington wall
 Adam Lincoln 23 Jul 2001
Hes got it down to one move.... Just cant hang it!
Gareth Stott 23 Jul 2001
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Seen him down the Leeds wall during the day - midweek.
BrianT 24 Jul 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: OK John; why did your shop close down? It was a nice shop and you gave us discounts. Maybe that's why, hur hur!

How do you feel about Bradford, and the way it's been portrayed to the rest of the world over the past month or so?

Which is Bradford's best curry house?

Are you keen on bouldering?

Do you have scraps on your chip butties?

Do you really want to go live in Sheffield?

What's best: Bridestones or Shipley Glen?

What do you climb for? What does it do for you?

Have you ever been to Pudsey (as opposed to through Pudsey), and why?

Baildon Bank; love it or loathe it?

Lion gums; best sweets in the world, but which are the best of the best- Wine Gums; Midget Gems; Sports Mixture; Fruit Salads; Poor Bens; Liquorice Tablets?

That's the end of your general knowledge round John.

PS. Just so you know, I was impressed most by your ascent of The Obscene Cleft, but that is largely because the name tickles my funny bone, as much as the ridiculous unlikeliness of the problem itself, for which I'm sure I and many others applaud you.
jude calvert-toulmin 24 Jul 2001
In reply to BrianT: "best sweets in the world, but which are the best of the best-Wine Gums; Midget Gems; Sports Mixture; Fruit Salads; Poor Bens; Liquorice Tablets?"

Brian, it's not fair, i want to answer this question it is so good! but i will restrain myself as this is not my show! i think your questions are top notch Bry.
Will 24 Jul 2001
Has being a climber affected your personality, and if so, how?

andy 24 Jul 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: Tell the full story of when your mate got punched in Kendal last year. Did you go back and secretly kill the perpetrators (a la Equaliser)?
Marc C. 24 Jul 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: Strange how dificult it is to think of questions to ask your 'heroes' ! It's like meeting God (no, I'm not comparing JD to God !) and racking your brains for all of those burning questions you've raised over the years, and then you come up[ with something facetious/trivial like "Are you a United or City supporter?" or "What colour curtains do you have in your living room?". Brian's asked some good ones though. How about 'What do you think of women's climbing? How long do you think you can keep pushing standards? Will you be climbing when you're 70? Are you superstitious when it comes to climbing ? What do you think makes you such a good climber ? D you enjoy any other sports (participant or spectator)? Are you married with 5 kids ? Does he think it's a neat irony that he shares the same initials as another leading grit climber ?
Alastair 24 Jul 2001
How does John's new super route on Arran (The great Escape HXS 6b, 6c,6c) relate to Dave MacLeod's recently reported new line (Macrocheira E8 6a, 6c, 6b) on the same piece of crag- they sound very, very similar to me- wonder who got there first- any comments??
Cheers
Alastair

Jon Read 24 Jul 2001
Just had a look at Dunne's website - very nicely non-commerial, I thought. Like the grade for End Of The Affair. Be nice to see that advert from years ago, the one with "body supplied by Mr & Mrs Dunne" - cringe.
OP king kong 24 Jul 2001
In reply to Jon Read: What does "non commercial" mean?
OP king kong 24 Jul 2001
Sorry "non commerial"?
 Jon Read 24 Jul 2001
In reply to king kong:
ok, a typo: commercial.
Fuck me, I thought I was a pedant.
Interesting contrast with that other chap's website.
Marc C. 24 Jul 2001
In reply to Jon Read: 'other chap' ? Why not say it straight out, like a man ? Anyway, what's Chris Bonington ever done to upset you ?
Universal Soldier 24 Jul 2001
Err Hi JCT, John :~)

John, you can climb any route in any climbing guide ever written.
Does this make you..
A: feel pretty good?
B: feel like a God?
C: grin like a fool?
D: go all tingly inside?
E: hungry?
F: wish for others to be climbing grades above you to give you something to aspire to?
G: think you're imortal?
H: ignore this question and answer the one about chips?
I: Free Form Text

Thanks a lot!
Loz 24 Jul 2001

questions for John.

1. what got you hooked in climbing?
2. whos your climbing hero(s)?
3. scariest moment in climbing.
4. whos was and is now your greatest influence on your
climbing career?

enough said...
almost sane 24 Jul 2001
there are a whole load of questions on the earlier thread, announcing Mr Dunne's appearance last Thursday, lest you forget.
paul heathcote 24 Jul 2001
In reply to Jon Read:

yeh i just noticed that - E7 6b??

quite interesting after what he says about downgrading on his site, but then he has climbed it i spose

PAUL
In reply to almost sane: doh. oh yeah. right. head like candy floss. cheers almost sane, i'll print them out now, just sampling my vodka sorbet it's yummy. the korma's done as well, taste's delish only mart and mitch are veggies so me and john get the lot. hur hur (brian, i love the way you laugh, is it ok if i copy it? it's so "viz" darling)

those questions of yours, universal soldier, are a bit of a hoot IMHO. i'll print this out in a bit although john just told me on the phone that he's been reading the questions as they come up.

oooh isnt it exciting?
OP the cumbrian 24 Jul 2001
Question to JD:
Any useful beta on "Digital Crack" (Cham). I understand you flashed it?
>>he's been reading the questions as they come up
John you bloomin lurker! There's nothing stopping you from engaging in dialogue before 5pm y'know!
;~)
John
We all know Paul from the Big Brother house has recently admitted to The Mirror that he was quoting you when he said "I've tried to live my adult life like an international pop star"

What's all that about then?
What made you say that?
When Helen was referring to 'Big G' was she really referring to you? Poor dyslexic girl:~(

Cheers
er. john's not here yet, but will be soon. when he arrives im going to make him a cuppa and let him read through these questions so we might not get started till about 5.30, hope that's OK
can't stay:~(
Good luck to both of you!
almost sane 24 Jul 2001
I may not be arround for the live questions so I will ask this now:

John, in this forum Jude has made many claims to being a good cook.
John, you are now in a position to validate these claims.
Is it true?

Can Jude really cook, or does she just open a tin?
A still photograph is not sufficient to answer this, in my opinion.

{
Phil Kelly 24 Jul 2001
In reply to jude calvert-toulmin: John would you mind awfully if we finally got the pictures published in the mags of him wearing stockings & sussies with 2 adoring women looking on!

Please - everyone's dying to see them, but Lovatt threatened to kick me head in if they were ever published!
JOHN DUNNE 24 Jul 2001
In reply to Phil Kelly: i will answer this on the John is ready and waiting thread.
Phil Kelly 24 Jul 2001
In reply to JOHN DUNNE: can't post to that thread - dunno why - no surprise!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...