UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Andy Kirkpatrick talks about Psychovertical

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 10 Sep 2008
Andy Kirkpatrick hosts an interactive gear question forum on UKC.

You can ask Andy questions in a Premier Post: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=311300

In this article he answers some questions about his new book Psychovertical; How he made the transition from magazine writer to author, what his plans are for the future and which other climbing authors he rates...

ARTICLE: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1188
rossjmc 10 Sep 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Unbelievable!! I can't wait for this book. I've had it pre-ordered since it came out on Amazon back in early May or so. I'm sure it will be excellent. Especially if the writings in his psychovertical blog are anything to go by.

Looking forward to it Andy!!
 KA 10 Sep 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I too am looking forward to this.
 redsulike 10 Sep 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: I think lots of us have been anticipating this for a while...I hope he doesn't write like Ed Drummond!
Removed User 11 Sep 2008

>it can effect the whole structure
>How did this effect your climbing?
>how this effects other

Affect! NOT effect
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_spelprob.html

Damo 11 Sep 2008
In reply to redsulike:

"were as the next book deals with how this effects others"

At least his editors will earn their money. Andy's spelling has always been atrocious, particularly on his website.

I guess Jack Geldard deliberately left these errors in the UKC interview to give us the authentic experience of the man himself and not some sanitised hagiography?

:-D
 JPG 11 Sep 2008
In reply to Damo:
> Andy's spelling has always been atrocious, particularly on his website.

Dyslexic, n'est pa? Hence, forgiveable.
 Damo 11 Sep 2008
In reply to JPG:

Yes, I do realise that, but if he can get most of it right then he can go back over it and get the rest right, non? It's the professional face of his writing ability. It's not some hurriedly scribbled down piece of rubbish, surely? Like one of my UKC posts.

He also wrote one of the best pieces of writing I've ever read on climbing, for Climb a couple of years ago. About the small joys you appreciate upon returning from a climb.

I do look forward to the book.

D
 TonyG 11 Sep 2008
In reply to JPG:
> (In reply to Damo)
> [...]
>
> ........n'est pa?.......

n'est-ce pas?
OP Jack Geldard 11 Sep 2008
In reply to All: Terribly edited piece, apologies.

Thanks.
 ArnaudG 11 Sep 2008
In reply to Damo:

Actually no. It's difficult to understand but you can re-read the piece however many times, spelling still elude you. It's like your brain did not bother read exactly what is written because it recognises the "shape" of the word or the overall meaning of teh sentence. If I want to be squeeky clean with my spelling, I need to re-read what I write backward word by word so it looses its meaning and I can focus on the word. Mind, my dyslexia is only very slight...

A.-
 ArnaudG 11 Sep 2008
In reply to ArnaudG:

See what I mean?

A.-
 Damo 11 Sep 2008
In reply to ArnaudG:
> (In reply to ArnaudG)
>
> See what I mean?
>
> A.-

I certainly do. Fair enough. Though what you describe happens to all of us, or at least to me. Am I mildly dyslexic? I was top of my class in Year 3 for spelling, you do realise!

And as for using a spellchecker function in word processing programs?

D

SonyaD 11 Sep 2008
In reply to ArnaudG: Typical though, there always has to be spelling nazis on the case on here! Never mind the fact that one our VERY talented climbers has written what will more than likely be a fantastic book (if his other writing is anything to go by) but let's not congratulate him aye, let's rip him to shreds about his spelling instead. Get a bloody grip folks, we have proof readers for that sort of thing.

I look forward to reading your book Andy, it sounds a good 'un.
 ArnaudG 11 Sep 2008
In reply to Damo:

Well I was bottom 2 in spelling while being top 5 in grammar maths etc. It what I'm talkinga bout goes beyond not paying attention. And as a kid is a right pain.

A.-
 ArnaudG 11 Sep 2008
In reply to lasonj:

Very good point. Am also looking forward to the book. If it's anything like it's talks, should be top.

A.-
 Niall Grimes 13 Sep 2008
Congratulations to Andy, a great achievement, and look forward to reading it,

niall
 TobyA 13 Sep 2008
In reply to Removed User: I don't have dyslexia, I had an OK-ish education at an OK-ish school, have done two degrees and am close to finishing my doctorate and write professionally and I -still- get confused between effect and affect! Whenever I write one I end up googling sites like your link to check I got it right. Of course an editor has to know the difference, but affect/effect is one of those nasty little English complexities that make life miserable!
 davefount 16 Sep 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: The book arrived yesterday and its a great read, im half way through already!
 'Hilda' 16 Sep 2008
In reply to davefount:

Email for Amazon this morning to say its been despatched. So hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

petestack 20 Sep 2008
In reply to 'Hilda':
> Email for Amazon this morning to say its been despatched. So hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

Got mine yesterday, and glad to have it (restarting this morning at 'Pitch 1 New Dawn'!) as I sit watching the Lochaber rain and wondering whether it's going to dry up enough for some climbing this weekend.

Sam L 20 Sep 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Can't wait to read this, sounds ace.
Sam
 'Hilda' 25 Sep 2008

Just finished it - an outstanding read, honest and personal. I couldn't put it down. I hope it wins the BoardmanTasker.
Wes 29 Sep 2008

Half way through it, really good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...