UKC

Canmore Accomadation/ Jobs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

Im heading out to Canada in a few weeks to do a winter season, hopefully heading to canmore in the rockies. Has anyone got any advise for finding cheep accomadation in this area. Also, has anyone got any tips for picking up work, ive got a visa so can work legitimately. Really want to work only as much as I ned to live so I can frugally climb lots.

cheers,

Will
thebigdon 17 Sep 2008
In reply to Will_Thomas_Harris: you lucky b*gger,

i spent a few months in Banff years ago (not climbing though) its a great place, having the visa should make work easy - we knew 2 guys from the uk in banff, they had no visas and were looking for cash in hand stuff but found nothing, everyone insisted on a visa/work permit.

there are loads bars, shops, hotels etc and some industry (factories beside the main road from calgary to banff, not sure what they were making?)

the hostel in banff was the nicest i had ever been in (in 1997) so staying there would be no hardship in the short term.

have a great time

maria85 18 Sep 2008
In reply to Will_Thomas_Harris:

Hello Will!! Excited yet?? Did you manage to sort your flights out, Amy said you lost them with Zoom...

Accom in Canmore - check the local paper, I can't remember what it's called but a google search shoiuld pull it up. There's ads in the back of there.

Maybe also look at working at the alpine club clubhouse (where we stayed for Christmas), I think you get free accom then.

Give me a call/email if you want info on the car insurance, buying, selling etc that I had.
Pezz 19 Sep 2008
What kind of climbing - out of interest? I've spent a lot of time in the area. The lady posting earlier could not be more right, the local newspaper is the place. Jobs in canmore aren't that easy to find compared to banff and its dead easy to sort out rides between the 2 places as its only 10-15mins between. Bye the way also - the websites aren't that great, the actual weekly newspapers themselves are much better. If you fancy a shop and get there before the rush, then mountain magic and monad sports in banff hire seasonal climbing staff, particularly monad who generally have some uk guys working. Valhalla in canmore and vertical addition are pretty small setups so unlikely to have positions. My buddy Will wrote some useful info here:
http://www.gravsports.com/Canmore_Guide.htm
 Bossys gran 19 Sep 2008
In reply to Will_Thomas_Harris: Im not sure about jobs or accommodation that would suit you but Canmore has one of the best Bagle/coffee shops Ive ever been to!!! Ideal for contemplating all that awesome ice!!! Enjoy!!!!
 matt pigden 19 Sep 2008
In reply to Bossys gran: Hey I used to work there. The rocky mountain bagel company!! Awsome

matt pigden 19 Sep 2008
In reply to Will_Thomas_Harris: I worked and stayed there for 4 months in 1999. I can give you info. Give me a ring as I still have some contacts out there.

Cheers,

Matt
 Bossys gran 19 Sep 2008
In reply to matt pigden: Very cool!!! I could definatly live in Canmore!! It's an awesome place, friendly and relaxed the Canadians have it sussed.
Removed User 19 Sep 2008

I've just come back from there. There are the usual bars, cafe's and hotels and plenty of Bunkhouses. I'm sure you'd get some low paying work in any of these. Try the 'Rose and Crown' pub for a chance to offer an authentic uk feel.
 matt pigden 19 Sep 2008
In reply to Bossys gran: Yes, I loved it. Climbing at Cougar Canyon. Stayed in Aline club hut. Beautiful spires of rock. I loved it there. I met my best friend and climbing partner there and just climbed in South america with him. Just met in Alpine club and climbed together all summer all over rockies and did a trip to squamish. Its a fantastic country.

I spent a season out there during 2000, I wasn't interested in the mixed though, I live in Scotland!! However, the ice is the best in the world.

I stayed in the Alpine Club of Canada (ACC) hut in Canmore, think it was $60 per week. Ended up working ther 2 days per week, cleaning, in return for free accomodation.

Made many good friends out there, Scott Semple and Lawrence White being two of them. Scott is a honed mixed climber, whereas I think Lawrence is now President or something of the ACC.

I made £2000 last me 4.5 months, remember though, I'm Scottish!!!!

Have a good one

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...