UKC

Parking over cycle lanes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 02 Oct 2008
Is this legal, there is a stretch of cycling lane near me that always has a stream of cars parked over it?
 Nevis-the-cat 02 Oct 2008
In reply to Tyler:

do what a mate of mine did when a row of school run cars parked on a cycle lane, hopped onto the bonnet of the first car and rode over all 3 then sped off.

Naughty, but nice.
 EddInaBox 02 Oct 2008
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

Mandatory cycle lanes are marked with a solid white line, cars are not allowed to use these, advisory cycle lanes are marked with dashed white lines and cars are allowed in these, whether they can park in them is determined by the yellow lines and signage as on any road.
Anonymous 02 Oct 2008
In reply to EddInaBox:

Advisory cycle lanes??

Sounds like a pointless exercise to me.

I reckon a cycle lane should be a proper cycle lane, or not at all
neilinut 02 Oct 2008
In reply to Anonymous:

and completely seperate to the road wherever possible
Anonymous 02 Oct 2008
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to EddInaBox)
>
> Advisory cycle lanes??
>
> Sounds like a pointless exercise to me.

Not if you're a local authority with an "x miles of cycle lane" target to meet.

All the statistics, none of the cost.
 EddInaBox 02 Oct 2008
In reply to neilinut:

The trouble with being completely separate from the road is that if the cycle lane is on the pavement the lemmings, sorry pedestrians, wander all over it in unpredictable ways, and when you get to a junction drivers pulling out don't look for you, and usually have right of way so you have to keep stopping. If the lane is on the road, but separated by a raised kerb then the street cleaners can't clean them and they get filled with rubbish and glass.
neilinut 02 Oct 2008
In reply to EddInaBox:

at junctions there should be cycle priorotised lights for getting across. They work pretty well here. At certain times some junctions operate the cycle lights similar to a pedestrian crossing and you push a button as you get to the lights. The tracks also are wide enough here for the street sweepers to go along them. In fact the sweepers can be a real nusciance at rush hour.
 deepsoup 02 Oct 2008
In reply to Anonymous:
> Advisory cycle lanes??
> Sounds like a pointless exercise to me.

Pointless unless you're a council looking to perk up the statistics for how many miles of cycle lane you've built this year.

On the offchance that anyone here still hasn't seen it, this is ace:
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month
 EddInaBox 02 Oct 2008
In reply to neilinut:

I was thinking more of cycling along beside a main road and having to stop at every side road you come to, it extends the journey time and takes a lot more effort to speed up again, whereas cycling along the main road you have priority over traffic joining or crossing from the side road and can just keep going.
neilinut 02 Oct 2008
In reply to EddInaBox:

yeah its common here though that those junstions will have a light for turning in and a set of lights on the track and if not the cycle traffic going straight on has right of way in 95% of layouts. Saying that de facto cycle awareness is so high here that a lot of people just presume to have ROW in many situations incl going through reds and cars will just stop for you. You do risk getting a 50 EU fine if caught though.
 Simon Pelly 02 Oct 2008
In reply to deepsoup:

I'm in tears of laughter
 EddInaBox 02 Oct 2008
In reply to neilinut:

Ah, I hadn't checked your profile so didn't realise you lived in a more bicycle friendly country than the UK, here of course the driver assumes right of way based on who is biggest and heaviest, and is only looking out for those at the same level or higher in the pecking order.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...