UKC

Remote, inspirational places for a week's trad climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike lawrence? 02 Oct 2008
Planning on doing a trip in May to do the Old Man of Hoy and North Gaulton Castle but wondered about alternative places to go. We'll have about a week max, climb upto E2 and would like a sense of remoteness, adventure and impressive grandeur! So though i love eg Cloggy and Gogarth I don't think England or Wales fit the bill. Was wondering about the Pyrennes or Morocco, the latter having the benefit of more reliable good weather i guess. Also just want rock climbing not mixed as a) i'm rubbish at winter stuff and b) it scare me.

any ideas?

mike
 ClimberEd 02 Oct 2008
In reply to jonnienomates:

Wadi Rum? Recent article about it and it looks ace.

Was going to suggest Lotus Flower Tower but not sure it will be in condition at that time. (please check as I haven't)
 James Oswald 02 Oct 2008
Is cash a factor?
 James Oswald 02 Oct 2008
There is a very interesting article on Mingulay on here somewhere. Looks ace.
In reply to james oswald: I thought of Mingulay as well, certainly remote! Sounded like the climbs were too hard - E4ish and upwards but will look into it. Thought of Wadi Rum but thought travelling time might be too much but will look into that as well.

mike
In reply to jonnienomates: Nah, the outer hebrides are rubbish, crap crumbly rock, sandbag grades, no running water.

I wouldn't bother, there's nothing good below E3.

Ian McNeill 02 Oct 2008
Arrans Gist Ddu ......

anyone next week ?
 Tom Last 02 Oct 2008

Lofoten?
 220bpm 02 Oct 2008
In reply to james oswald:
> (In reply to jonnienomates)
> There is a very interesting article on Mingulay on here somewhere. Looks ace.

Definate suggestion.

Also Carnmore, Beinn Lair, (Alladale slabs no more...), Foinavon. Wouldn't think you'd meet many folks out there, despite the fact how gorgeous the areas are.

I'm just back from a week in Mull. That would be another great spot for some FA's and proper adventure climbing imo.

Will Hunt 02 Oct 2008
Cant go wrong with Arran. The island feel makes it seem more isolated than it perhaps is. Food and supplies wont be a problem as there's a co-op and chinese takeaway on Brodik!
 tlm 02 Oct 2008

How about Sinai?

Routes of all grades - we were the only climbers in St. Catherine's when we went there!

gorgous weather - we went in February.

We saw desert foxes, eagles.

Very cheap too! and nice, friendly people.
 Duncan Bourne 02 Oct 2008
In reply to tlm:
seconded! Apparently there is some sports climbing near Dahab on the coast but the Mount Sinai area around St Catherine's is very much trad and a lot wilder!
Removed User 02 Oct 2008

Whilst you are up at The Old Man, head west from Thurso to Durness then down a little and go into Foinaven (you can actually get into some good climbing from the head of Loch Eribol (before you get to Durness).

This is remote, multi - pitch, mountain type climbing.
 alex_arthur 03 Oct 2008

Mull of kintyre, scotland, has everything your looking for with potential for loads of new routes and seems to be blessed with drier weather than most of scotland allowing climbing all year round.
 john howard 1 03 Oct 2008
In reply to jonnienomates: Fairhead!Should be easy/cheap enough for you to get to, and it's just an awesome place with amazing routes, honestly if most of the routes in Fairhead were placed at other crags they would be guaranteed 3 star classics, and although the walk in is only around 15/20 minutes it feels really remote and exposed, it also has amazing views over the sea and scotland, ok i'll stop now but seriously-go now!
 kingholmesy 03 Oct 2008

Stanage?

I'll get my coat ....
 newhey 03 Oct 2008

Isle of Rum
 Adam Long 03 Oct 2008

May is perhaps the best time of year for the remoter parts of the UK. Hoy is a great plan but there is loads of choice - Outer Hebrides inc Mingulay/ Pabbay but also west coast of Lewis which is rather less hassle. Shetland is also interesting...
In reply to jonnienomates: May would be a good time to visit Los Galayos in the Sierra de Gredos, central Spain. Superb big traddy granite routes on an array of unfeasibly pointy pinnacles on the top of a mountain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...