UKC

NEWS: Bill Pattison Cranking Hard at 74 .... his Mum, 107, says

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 05 Oct 2008
Bill Pattison Onsights Three 6a+'s on his 74th Birthday

Bill's mum, Jeanie, a sprightly 107 tells him, "If you don't do it now, you ain't going to get another chance."

Bill has taken this sage advice on board all throughout his life.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=10&year=2008#n45357
 john howard 1 05 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Inspirational, I hope I can share his attitude if/when I'm that age.
Robert Bennett 05 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Good to hear Bill is still cranking! Keep it up-you are an inspiration to us youngsters in their 60`s.
All the best to him
 DrGav 05 Oct 2008

Fantastic location choice too. Love the Arico gorge in winter.,
Bogsy 05 Oct 2008
Reading that just removed any excuse I could ever think of... darn it LOL
 Pekkie 05 Oct 2008

Any more background? Is he a heavy smoker living on lard butties? What's the secret? Hope he doesn't use unethical practices like hooking his zimmer frame onto holds like a giant sky hook. Seriously, though, something to aim at! He looks fit too.
 PATTISON Bill 05 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Never been a smoker or drunk a glass of beer and despite being brought up in the North East kept of the lardy cakes.A nice Shiraz or a Gigondas now thats more like it.I did call one of my routes on Hare Crag Zimmer Groove though for obvious reasons.
 flaneur 05 Oct 2008
In reply to PATTISON Bill:

Bill,

If I’ve got this right, your first climb was solo, outdoors, multi-pitch, and you hadn’t done a course.

Is that allowed?
 PATTISON Bill 05 Oct 2008
In reply to flaneur: What sort of course did you have in mind?We didnt live in a nanny state then .
Removed User 05 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I want to know how hard his Mum climbs...
 Pekkie 05 Oct 2008
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) I want to know how hard his Mum climbs...

And is she looking for a bit of excitement in her life at the moment?
 Al Evans 06 Oct 2008
> (In reply to flaneur) What sort of course did you have in mind?We didnt live in a nanny state then .

Classic reply Bill
Al
 petestack 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Removed User:
> I want to know how hard his Mum climbs...

And classic reply, Hardonicus!

flaneur 06 Oct 2008
> (In reply to flaneur) What sort of course did you have in mind?We didnt live in a nanny state then .

Oh dear...irony doesn't work online does it?
 JimR 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

Maybe rather than a Nanny state it was a Mammy statement?
 argyle_dude 06 Oct 2008

First a story of a 14 year old climbing 8a and now a story of a 74 year old onsighting 6a+s. Are you just trying to make those of us, supposedly in our prime feel bad? I think I'm going to take up knitting or something.
 Al Evans 06 Oct 2008
In reply to argyle_dude: You could join TC's sock knitting concern
 Pekkie 06 Oct 2008
> I did call one of my routes on Hare Crag Zimmer Groove though for obvious reasons.

And if you ever do a new route on Gimmer, it's got to be called....Zimmer String.

I'll get my coat.

Removed User 07 Oct 2008
In reply to Pekkie: His wife is in her mid 50's so I'd say he's doing pretty well all round. Go on boy...
 Pete 07 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Good for him. What is more impressive is the soloing of E2, which must be the equivalent of leading E4 at least. Hopefully this might kill any more threads of the "I am over the hill at 40, 50, 60....." threads on here, but I won't hold my breath. Obviously he is also a subscriber to the old adage: "you're only as old as the woman you feel" as well. Great stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...