UKC

Jerry Moffatt’s Biography....and Ron Fawcett's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 06 Oct 2008
The 1980's saw a new boy on the block, Jerry Moffatt......I can see the CRAG magazine headlines now, Strawberries Repeated....17 year old Jerry Moffatt has repeated Strawberries, the first route to be graded 7a........Obviously his name is worth watching out for..., and he was, even today Jerry Moffatt is a cult figure among many young climbers.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=10&year=2008#n45358
 Al Evans 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Thanks Mick, look forward to picking up those books, wonder who the ghost writer was
 brieflyback 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Thanks Mick, look forward to picking up those books, wonder who the ghost writer was

Says who it was in the piece...
 Al Evans 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Martin76: Ooooops Niall, missed it
 JLS 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

I wonder if it'll read with an Irish accent... "and then I climbed Liquid Amber so I did. 'was di ardest ting climbed to date so it was."
 Henry Iddon 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Next years Boardman Tasker Award could be an interesting one!
 Alun 06 Oct 2008
> "I'm looking forward to all four of these books, and I'm sure I'm not alone."

Damn right you're not. I love biographies, so almost certainly will be getting all of these!
 Dom Whillans 06 Oct 2008
17 year old Jerry Moffatt has repeated Strawberries, the first route to be graded 7a........Obviously his name is worth watching out for..., and he was, even today Jerry Moffatt is a cult figure among many young climbers.
>

anyone spot the spelling mistake?

In reply to Dom Whillans:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> 17 year old Jerry Moffatt has repeated Strawberries, the first route to be graded 7a........Obviously his name is worth watching out for..., and he was, even today Jerry Moffatt is a cult figure among many young climbers.
> [...]
>
> anyone spot the spelling mistake?

17 year old Jerry Moffatt has repeated Strawberries, the first route to be graded 7a........Obviously his name was worth watching out for..., and he was, even today Jerry Moffatt is a cult figure among many young climbers.
 Garbh Coire 06 Oct 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: In 1980 it probably was grammatically correct...
 Dom Whillans 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Garbh Coire:
neither of you are right...

whispering nic 06 Oct 2008
Well?
 Mooncat 06 Oct 2008

Is cult spelt wrong?
 Dom Whillans 06 Oct 2008
In reply to Mooncat:
bingo!
 Nic 07 Oct 2008

..or "backter" in Cockney rhyming slang...
 Niall Grimes 07 Oct 2008
That's quite a strong thing to say about someone Nic and Dom. What makes you say that?
 UKB Shark 07 Oct 2008
In reply to Niall Grimes:

Maybe Dom is thinking of his namesake.

Moffatt turned arrogance into an artform.
 Dom Whillans 07 Oct 2008
In reply to Niall Grimes:
> That's quite a strong thing to say about someone Nic and Dom. What makes you say that?

my first day at stanage... 1994. having a crack at some classic routes with some mates, met ron fawcett - diamond geezer, loads of time for punters like me toproping archangel, stopped for a bit of a chat before he carried on doing his thing - soloing, bouldering, happily on his tod, in the office. later on down in the plantation, bouldering to finish the day off, the boulder we were on got swamped by moffatt and his entourage, no conversation, no eye contact; just in amongst our gear and all over our car mats and beer towels, hogging the entire fricking boulder; posing on moves (but not completing them) for a picture, changing t-shirts for other pictures, generally being a loud, arrogant arse.
previously, he'd been a hero. subsequently, my view expressed above... that rule about never meeting your heroes is pretty true, the exceptions for me being ron fawcett, johnny dawes and billy bragg.
 andrew300169 07 Oct 2008

I have to say the oposite. 15 years ago bumped into JM at Ravens Tor where a friend and I had popped into see what top end climbs looked like. He was belaying and was as nice as pie. He even recommended a couple of easy E4's for us to try which we said we would do later. Then went of and did the VS's we'd planned to do.
 UKB Shark 07 Oct 2008
In reply to andrew300169:

Reminds me of a similar at Minus Ten when Jerry and crowd who where bouldering and absorbed in what they were doing but stopped to egg me on when I started flailing on the traverse on Traffic Jam.
Anonymous 08 Oct 2008
the boulder we were on got swamped by moffatt and his entourage, no conversation, no eye contact; just in amongst our gear and all over our car mats and beer towels, hogging the entire fricking boulder; posing on moves (but not completing them) for a picture, changing t-shirts for other pictures, generally being a loud, arrogant arse.

Just gotta love JM! He introduced swagger and self-belief, but it was completely backed up with ability. Him, Ben and all the Stoney crew were intense young men, but they always found the time to give you encouragement. Great days.

simes303 08 Oct 2008

Grimer, are you going to include the bit where I was hitching back to Sheffield and Jerry drove past me in his porsche without giving me a lift. Mean eh?
 UKB Shark 08 Oct 2008
In reply to simes303:

So it was you that was Grimer's inspiration for the starstruck Moffatt kidnapper, so it was.
 brieflyback 08 Oct 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:
> (In reply to simes303)
>
> So it was you that was Grimer's inspiration for the starstruck Moffatt kidnapper, so it was.

That brings all kinds of unhappy memories back. I still have the mental scars from the visuals accompanying that article.
amf37 08 Oct 2008
In reply to Martin76:
Oh, don't... That was a deeply buried memory...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...