UKC

trelewis bedlinog climbing centre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
carlpowell 07 Oct 2008
does anybody have any news on the climbing centre in bedlinog,trelewis been shut for a while, is it re-opening or not
Richard Davies 07 Oct 2008
In reply to carlpowell: Yes, the centre is reopening!! It is not yet open to the public, they are about to spend a lot of money refurbishing the place in readiness. The Merthyr climbing club is using the centre already, and the new company will allow other clubs and organisations to use it by prior arrangement. All sounds very positive!!!
 onlytovey 07 Oct 2008
In reply to Richard Davies: Good good. any ideas on the timescales involved and if they will let individuals come and use it prior to official opening? if not how can i join the merthyr climbing club?
Richard Davies 08 Oct 2008
In reply to onlytovey: From conversations I've had with the new management, it would seem likely that the centre will be opening to the public after Xmas. There are plans to renovate all the existing walls and possibly add some more bouldering in the main hall. In the mean time, the club meets down there on a Tuesday at about 6.30 until 9.30
Matt@maltaactivities 08 Oct 2008
In reply to carlpowell:

So is Merthyr Council gonna deliver this time because in February 2007 they promised the 'new' company Engine 100k and then never delivered!

I really hope it works out for the new company as its tragic to see the centre unused especially with the small improvements that have already been made. Im very wary of how many times a 'new' company can go in and then go into admiistration. Hopefully this company is very experienced at this sort of thing because young companies are never strong enough to do the job.
jug jonny jug 09 Oct 2008
In reply to carlpowell:

i think this will work this time, they have a fair bit of money.
plus the owners know how to run a business unlike the E2 numpties.

they got my full support
 MJ 09 Oct 2008

"plus the owners know how to run a business"

Thought Merthyr Borough Council were the new owners? They will obviously have the advantage of not having to run at a profit, as is the case with most council run facilities.

MJ

Matt@maltaactivities 09 Oct 2008
In reply to MJ:

I hope it is merthyr council as they have the ability to access funding streams that no other organisation can. And your right E2 were numpties to ever think they could get the trust to work in partnership with them. Lets hope Merthyr Council dont also agree to pay 6k a month rent on a 10 year old money pit.

I hope whoever has got it good luck and I mean that as its gonna be tough competition with the Cardiff wall being such a good venue. Lots of WICCs profitable business was cardiff schools and the universities but I would think they are now going to Cardiff and will remain there as there isnt the transportation issues.
 Cardi 09 Oct 2008
Are they planning on moving the reception before it re-opens?
 onlytovey 10 Oct 2008
In reply to Matt@maltaactivities: a lot of long standing climbers in south wales who aren't part of the university groups are looking forward to the re-opening of the wicc. People i have spoken with don't rate boulders. And i think that more experienced members of the university groups feel the same from what i over heard the other day.

There will at least be a core following for the WICC.
OP Anonymous 10 Oct 2008
In reply to carlpowell: where has this merthyr council are the new owners come from, thier not.

and i agree boulders aint got nthing on wicc.

plus boulders have had some realy bad accidents already. not good
 MJ 10 Oct 2008
In reply to Anonymous:

"where has this merthyr council are the new owners come from, thier not".

Been mentioned on this and other threads. If they are not, who is?

I'd be very intriqued to know who would take on this venture with it's past history.

MJ

OP Anonymous 10 Oct 2008
In reply to carlpowell: i cant let you know at the mo but its not the council
 allie bee 10 Oct 2008
In reply to Anonymous:

I'd say there's room for both WICC and Boulders. Yes, the walls themselves were/are more impressive at WICC, Boulders have done a great job off making their centre a place people obviously want to return too.

Some nights Boulders is positively crammed!!

Allie
dizzybrunette 10 Oct 2008
In reply to Matt@maltaactivities:
You sound like you have grudge against Merthyr council from the past, I'm willing to bet that this isnt actually matt writing here. Why dont you come out into the open Jo and write under your own name not hiding behind someone elses...
Matt@maltaactivities 11 Oct 2008
In reply to dizzybrunette:

Hi Beth, You seem to be missing my point I WISH MERTHYR COUNCIL TO TAKE OVER they have access to far more funds than anyone else. I dont know why you think this is Jo coz she isnt interested what happens to WICC after losing so much money.

Merthyr Council amongst others promised BEST, AAL and Engine money but could never deliver. Countless grants promised and never available. I have far more experience of the WICC story , you forget I was there from near enough the beginning so Ive seen people come and go but the ending never changes. Whoever takes over I wish them success and can I suggest we dont start the abusing other people on an open forum as this just destroys the credibility of the thread and gets it removed from here.

Hope you and the family are well,

Matt

PS Im suprised you think Jo needs to hide behind anyone
dizzybrunette 11 Oct 2008

Hey, I'm not abusing anyone! Just pointing out that you seem a bit lingering-ly bitter, for someone who cut his losses and ran, and has built a successful and profitable business abroad. I'd love for the wall to flourish - I just don't think that's going to happen under private ownership (which, it seems, is the plan now, as far as I know it is a private individual/business taking over, not the council).

You sound very strident, which surprised me - and made me wonder if your posts were being ghostwritten

Likewise best wishes to you and your new family.xx
 KH 11 Oct 2008

Hi Matt. Hope you're well!

I can't believe I'd ever say this, but I do miss the WICC and can't wait for it to re-open. Although, I really do hope that whoever takes it on has the foresight and business acumen required to understand how each and every part of the business needs to be run efficiently in order to make the collective parts of WICC all gel together.

Here's hoping!
Matt@maltaactivities 15 Oct 2008
Im not bitter Beth, as you stated Ive made a new life for myself away from trelewis and yes I probably am now a far more happier, assertive person which isnt suprising seeing as I dont have to move reception every month and answer 500 phonecalls a day from staff!!!

I know exactly who is taking over and have known for a long time. One of the new directors has wanted ivolvement since before engine went, they have tried to become involved for a long time now and whilst I wish them the very best they have a hard battle ahead, there is alot of work to still be done on those walls and the rest of the building.

I hope they use the time they are closed to get most of the maintenace done and a good team behind them as people will want to see change if and when they come back.

Matt@maltaactivities 15 Oct 2008

Hi Kev,

Everythings good out here mate, your welcome whenever you fancy it

I hope WICC succeeds too , lets all keep our fingers crossed that this new team have the financial resources needed to lift it without the support of funding.

You need to have a team that understand so many types of different business sectors as you really have a bar/restaurant business, a gym, a hostel, a conference/meeting function not forgeting the Climbing wall and outdoor activity centre!!!! I think this is the hardest thing , with so many different departments pulling on the cashflow at the same time it will always be a nightmare. And you still have people in Merthyr who dont know where the climbing centre is so marketing is essential but again this takes so much of your finances to do it properly. I dont envy them at all, they are taking on a monster!

Best Wishes
Matt
sara lowe 09 Nov 2008
>
> Hi Kev,
>
> Everythings good out here mate, your welcome whenever you fancy it
>
> I hope WICC succeeds too , lets all keep our fingers crossed that this new team have the financial resources needed to lift it without the support of funding.
>
> You need to have a team that understand so many types of different business sectors as you really have a bar/restaurant business, a gym, a hostel, a conference/meeting function not forgeting the Climbing wall and outdoor activity centre!!!! I think this is the hardest thing , with so many different departments pulling on the cashflow at the same time it will always be a nightmare. And you still have people in Merthyr who dont know where the climbing centre is so marketing is essential but again this takes so much of your finances to do it properly. I dont envy them at all, they are taking on a monster!
>
> Best Wishes
> Matt

hello, wondering if any knows of a liam who used to train the kids in bedlinog on a monday night special coaching took place. the person arranged this was a ryan who part owned the climbing part in bedlinog.

lost contact with this group and my son is now climbing in boulders but there does not seem to be any coaching given to him i was originally approached by ryan who said that my son who was 6 last year has got a natural ability to climbing. It is a shame that the centre closed down as my son prigressed really well.
Hope you can help me

sara
liam fyfe 05 Dec 2008
In reply to sara lowe: hi sara, its liam long time no speak. sorry i havnt got back to you sooner ive been off the seen for a while. climbing lots at my friends home wall.? how are things? its good that the wall is opening again- if you want we can try and arrange the welsh team coaching again. if you want i'll try and have a word with the new boss. i was talking to him thursday he is keen for comps etc.
my email is fyfee-8a@hotmail.co.uk
email me about this if you want.
cheers liam
Happychappy 07 Dec 2008
In reply to Cardi:
> Are they planning on moving the reception before it re-opens?

Had to laugh at this one, not sure if the reasoning is commercial or whether they just felt the need to keep up with tradition, but yes, they are indeed moving reception. Its going back where it used to be at the main entrance for the climbing wall.

Name is changing (again) too, going to be The Summit Centre.
crimpmonkeys 10 Dec 2008
In reply to liam fyfe:

i do hope it does well but early signs i am hoping are not going to continue is with the route setter allocated, i will not name any names but matt and dai and liam will know. if you want people to not start slating this place as soon as it opens i my self would invite as many family's climbers as possible into your conference room and ask wat they want. they will know more than the curent owners and who better to help u start up than your customers. John and vasey did this but never listened so did dai matt and densil they listened. I have to say when matt and dai and densil where there they cared, where realsitic spent things on what needed to be spent. Jo and ryan did there best had big plans but i feel thats what the issue was. Jo that is not a dg or anything just an opinion. ROME wasnt built in day so to speak.

I wish it all the best

Jason
 K.climber.15 10 Dec 2008
In reply to crimpmonkeys: So does anyone have any idea of the date the centre will be re-opening I've heard after x-mas but how soon?
Happychappy 11 Dec 2008
In reply to K.climber.15:

Was talking to Lynne, one of the directors, two weeks ago and plan was for January opening. Dont think a specific date had been set at the time but work is well underway there with many new routes already in place and renovation work planned in prepararion for opening (well, reception has to be resited, lol). Would guess from what she was saying that they are looking at second half of Jan for opening.

Have to say that that Lynne was very enthusiastic about the future of the centre and there are some ambitious plans in mind for its development.
 K.climber.15 11 Dec 2008
In reply to Happychappy: That's really great I can't wait for it to re-open I hope they manage to do all they want with it because its such a great facility. It's good they have moved the reception again it will make all the difference!
 KH 15 Dec 2008

The centre is now open to competent climbers on a Tuesday and Thursday night (5-10pm) and on Saturday (I think 12pm - 5pm).

I've been going for the last 3 weeks. There's more than enough routes to go at and there's been some new boulder problems set too.

I don't know anything about the official openings date.
 MJ 15 Dec 2008
In reply to KH:

"The centre is now open to competent climbers".

"I've been going for the last 3 weeks".

Kev, that surely rules you out!!!!

MJ

KH 15 Dec 2008
In reply to MJ:

One day I hope to be considered competent; don't know when that will be but I hope it comes soon and before I get too old to take advantage of it.

Hope you're well mate, haven't seen you for ages. Hope your still climbing?

Kev
Happychappy 16 Dec 2008
In reply to KH:
> (In reply to K.climber.15)
>
> The centre is now open to competent climbers on a Tuesday and Thursday night (5-10pm) and on Saturday (I think 12pm - 5pm).

10 - 5pm Sat and Sun was the last i heard, believe its due to close for while after xmas though to get work done. Hoping to make it up there Thur will try to find out more detail.

Jimbob11 16 Dec 2008
If anyone has an idea what Ryan is up to these days or has an e mail, i'd be interested in knowing, i climbed there a bit and Ryan was one of my first Instructors in the outdoor sector when i was at college, would like to drop him an e mail.
Anyone who knows could you mail me.

Many thanks

Jimbo
 K.climber.15 16 Dec 2008
In reply to KH: Thats really great, so you can just turn up on those days and they will let you climb?
 KH 16 Dec 2008

They have been asking for your old membership card to prove competency (i.e. have been checked previously to be able to belay etc.) and providing this in order you can climb.
 gethin_allen 16 Dec 2008
In reply to carlpowell:
If they can sort out the whole issue about being a "competent climber" before you can use the facility it will be a start.
I was in the area one wet day so we thought we'd try and go to the wicc. when we arrived we were told that at least 2 members of the group would have to pay a full membership (~£20) and take a test to prove their competence. We were put off by this but in the end decided we would pay up just to climb for one afternoon. Only to be told by the receptionist that the person who assess people was not in on that day and that we'd have to come back another day.
I've never bothered going back.
David Sibbons 21 Dec 2008
In reply to carlpowell:
Carl,
We are in the process of getting the centre "Fit for Purpose". As you know this will be a mammoth task, but we are making good headway. We are in the process of spending some 130k on the wall, bar, gym and other needy areas. This will also include a new bouldering wall inside the main climbing area, the old bouldering area will be converted into two classrooms. The main reception will move back (again) next to the climbing wall. There are contractors booked to carry out the works, you will see a huge improvement to the facility by mid to end January.

We are open every Tuesday and Thursdays from 1700 until 22000 for climbing and bouldering, group bookings can make alternative times just call the old number 01443 710749 or fax 01443 712200. The building is not fit for purpose, we know this and are making huge inroads to resolving many issues. All we ask is for your continued support and patients would be greatly appreciated.

When the new reception is complete, there will be a notice board where we will display the programme of works for the centre. Should anyone like to visit over the next couple of weeks, please don't hesitate to contact either Dai or Steve.

The staff at the Centre would like to wish you a very happy Christmas and New Year, we look forward to seeing you all in the New Year.
 Bossys gran 21 Dec 2008
In reply to onlytovey: Be careful what you say about climbing walls. I voiced my opinion on Redpoint the other week and the thread is still running!!! WICC aint been great for ages, would be brill to see it return to its best.
crimpmonkeys 23 Dec 2008
In reply to Jimbob11: YEH think he works call of the wild now
crimpmonkeys 23 Dec 2008
In reply to David Sibbons:

I was there today and spoke to the new guys. not only an awesome group of people they are always open to comments and will take them on board( obviously sensible not build a whole new centre).

From what was i saw and seen today i think this time round has the best chance of it all.

I wish them all the best and dai(williams) if you guys are ever stuck i will always be happy to come help if i am able to.

Great to meet you guys today.

Jason
liam fyfe 29 Dec 2008
In reply to crimpmonkeys:oh no! the last thing they need is you there jas lol. wen you dwn next? drop me a email fella. its good to have dai back to, good luck mate. see you tues!
p.s your rite about choosing the rite setters to.
cheers liam
Matt@maltaactivities 03 Jan 2009
In reply to Jimbob11:
> If anyone has an idea what Ryan is up to these days or has an e mail, i'd be interested in knowing, i climbed there a bit and Ryan was one of my first Instructors in the outdoor sector when i was at college, would like to drop him an e mail.
> Anyone who knows could you mail me.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Jimbo

Ryan works for the neighbourhood learning centre in Merthyr. He took back a full time position as outdoor tutor. The number is 01685 727099, if you call in the week they should be able to help.
crimpmonkeys 14 Jan 2009

you serious i was sure he was working for call of the wild

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...