UKC

little girl's grown up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 errrrm? 11 Oct 2008
My 12 year old daughter is growing up fast. We were just having a little disagreement, i sent her upstairs. As she disappeared up the stairs she mutterer a string of insults, including my favourite "loser". Ah, a father's pride, i can hardly conceal my joy, wipes tear from eye. It's going to be a long weekend, off to applecross on monday though.
 Al Evans 11 Oct 2008
In reply to errrrm?: You should worry, I have to look at the pictures my daughters are posting of themselves on Facebook, its scarey.
Until I remember what me and their mum where doing at their age!
 Nigel Modern 11 Oct 2008
In reply to errrrm?: Last night my 11 year old muttered '...but you'll never find me...' after objecting about 'come home time' and proceeded not to come back from the park when agreed...he's grounded but 'that's my boy'!

Thing is I'll get shot by his mother if I let him get away with it...
 Rob Exile Ward 11 Oct 2008
In reply to Nigel Modern: I remember the first time firstborn *really* swore at me, he'd have been about 12. It was so sweet! Ah, happy days...
 Nigel Modern 11 Oct 2008
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: The problem is I don't really want to discipline him...I want to go climbing and then down the pub with him...and then sort it out...guess I'll have to wait a bit.
diablo 11 Oct 2008
In reply to errrrm?:

well

she'll be asking for a deposit for a flat for christmas next
Knitting Norah 11 Oct 2008
In reply to errrrm?:

My sister has a wonderful photo of her youngest son when he decided to leave home in a huff. He is about six and has his duffle coat on and a carrier bag of toys. He was really put out when everyone went out of the house to wave him goodbye and his mum took the photo. He went to his mates whose Grandma asked him if he had any money or butties. She suggested he went home until he had saved up a bit.
Knitting Norah 11 Oct 2008
In reply to errrrm?:

I also remember when my eldest was lippy, he was in his middle teens and a good bit taller than me at the time so I walked towards him and to the side, put my hand on his shoulder from the front hooked my hip behind his thigh and pushed so that his leg moved forward, a gentle shove with the hand on his shoulder and he was on his back on the floor. He was so startled that Mum had done this so easily that all we could do was Laugh.
 The Bantam 12 Oct 2008
In reply to Knitting Norah:
> (In reply to errrrm?)
>
> My sister has a wonderful photo of her youngest son when he decided to leave home in a huff. He is about six and has his duffle coat on and a carrier bag of toys. He was really put out when everyone went out of the house to wave him goodbye and his mum took the photo. He went to his mates whose Grandma asked him if he had any money or butties. She suggested he went home until he had saved up a bit.

Hehe - that cheered me up! I'm due (well, Mrs Bantam is due) our first in 6 days and am already starting to worry how I'll cope if they get up to half the things I did!

Al Evans 12 Oct 2008
In reply to Knitting Norah: Thats brilliant Norah, funniest thing I've read on here for ages
 sutty 12 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

My brother decided to leave home one day when we were little. My mum said hang on you need some sandwiches for the journey, made them and put them in his bag.

Half an hour later he returned, to ask which bus went to London, and was then told it would be better to stay at home till we found out.
OP errrrm? 12 Oct 2008
In reply to sutty:

Ah, the old double bluff, mothers can be devious.

When I was knee high to a grass hopper I used to go to the local "mud hill" for kicks (not kickings, went to the park for that ) any way i'd deny it, until one time she asked,"did you have fun at the mud hill Ian?", to which I replied,"yeah, jimmy was there too mum". It took me ages to work out what she'd done, never trusted her again, something changed.
 Al Evans 12 Oct 2008
In reply to sutty: Aren't kids funny, except when you can follow your owns adventures and parties on Facebook :-s
 sutty 12 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

>except when you can follow your owns adventures and parties on Facebook

Don't look Al, it is often better not to know so long as you have told them how to look after themselves. A bit like them not knowing their 50 year old parents have sex at times.
Removed User 12 Oct 2008
In reply to errrrm?: Aye, it won't be long now till a grimy unwashed student is hanging out of the back of her...
TooCauldAgain 12 Oct 2008
In reply to Nigel Modern:
> (In reply to Rob Exile Ward) The problem is I don't really want to discipline him...I want to go climbing and then down the pub with him...and then sort it out...guess I'll have to wait a bit.

You'd be better trying to explain why your setting limits for time
for him to get back home including the why you'll get grief from his
mum, it doesn't sound like you have a major problem with him so i'm sure he'll listen to reason. Maybe you need to re-assess what time he needs to come home for,maybe you are being too protective.
I don't let my 14,5 year old out on the streets at all after 9pm she
doesn't see it as a issue though, she knows some of the trouble that goes on withy youngsters locally and understands we want he to be kept away from it, as consolation she is allowed to have a lot of seepovers here and at her friends where they can stay awake (or at least try to) as long as they like on a Saturday night as long as they aren't keeping anyon else up.They generally succumb at the back of 11pm after the first few times when the novelty wears off.I soem times take her and a friend climbing and the fact they are worn out by the time we get home makes for a very peaceful night.

TooCauldAgain 12 Oct 2008
In reply to errrrm?:
> My 12 year old daughter is growing up fast. We were just having a little disagreement, i sent her upstairs. As she disappeared up the stairs she mutterer a string of insults, including my favourite "loser". Ah, a father's pride, i can hardly conceal my joy, wipes tear from eye. It's going to be a long weekend, off to applecross on monday though.

I've never sent my daughter to her room , i know it must be difficult, and grounding them has to be an option. Somehow sending them away to their room seems to be a way of not being able to get them to see reason in what i'm asking them to do. I can't think of anytime my Daughter has ever been sent to her room or grounded, her Mum and i live seperately so i wouldn't be surprised if its hapeenned with her Mum but not here. I know that they always resort to shouting matches so reason probably goes out the window with the wo of them in an arguement. But we have had soem arguements and tears recently maybe i'm just lucky she doesn't seem the argumentataive type at all ?

OP errrrm? 12 Oct 2008
In reply to Removed User: I'm not sure she washes herself, so perhaps that would be suitable.
Knitting Norah 12 Oct 2008
In reply to TooCauldAgain:

Once my youngest reached about 17 he became very patient with me when I lost it with him. He'd listen to me, give his side of things, listen again and then after a while of my continuing he would quietly say "I don't need any more of this Mum. I'm going out for a while." Then he would walk out. Sometimes I was left almost spluttering because He was acting like an adult and I was like a child. He would return a while later, make me a brew and ask me if I wanted to talk about it! Class. Now he is 31 and we are good friends and talk about anything and everything.

It's the same with the other two, who are older, over the years I have taken them places etc. Now they sometimes take me on the climbing or mountaineering trip. Or I go along and take photos. I have learned that they know far more than me about things and I am quite happy to learn from them and relax knowing they are in charge.
Removed User 12 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to sutty) Aren't kids funny, except when you can follow your owns adventures and parties on Facebook :-s

I know, I have access to my Nephew's facebook (because he thinks I'm a cool uncle). He's just finnished freshers week at uni. Christ I hope his mother never sees it!
 Al Evans 12 Oct 2008
In reply to Removed User: I think this is a really funny thread, thing is Jo is OK with me seeing stuff but would be mortified if mum commented on it (or even saw it), she can't imagine that her mum was ever like her but dad seems easy game
Removed User 12 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans:

Thing is, when we were younger there was no facebook to record the deeds so parents didn't have the same record of events they have now.
 sutty 12 Oct 2008
In reply to Knitting Norah:

>Sometimes I was left almost spluttering because He was acting like an adult and I was like a child.

Ah well, at least things have not yet gone full circle, having them changing YOUR nappies.
In reply to The Bantam:
> (In reply to Knitting Norah)
> [...]
>
>I'm due (well, Mrs Bantam is due) our first in 6 days and am already starting to worry how I'll cope if they get up to half the things I did!

Hope all goes well. You'll your child whatever they get up to!

In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Knitting Norah)
>
> >Sometimes I was left almost spluttering because He was acting like an adult and I was like a child.
>
> Ah well, at least things have not yet gone full circle, having them changing YOUR nappies.

I'm hoping someone I don't know will do that when the time comes. Mind you in some of the jobs I've had I've done it for lots of other folks so I suppose I won't feel too guilty about needing it then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...