UKC

Books that shouldnt have been turned into films

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mlu200 13 Oct 2008
The Beach by Alex Garland

The first film that I actually walked out on, shocking!
 TRNovice 13 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:

Heart of Darkness.
 TRNovice 13 Oct 2008
In reply to TRNovice:

Oh and h2g2
 snoop6060 13 Oct 2008
In reply to TRNovice:

The Golden Compass

Fredt 13 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:

Catch 22
 petestack 13 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:

Just about anything (The Jungle Book, Winnie-the-Pooh etc.) reworked by Disney! :-P
 waterbaby 13 Oct 2008
In reply to snoop6060:
> (In reply to TRNovice)
>
> The Golden Compass

I agree, haven't seen it. Wouldn't as it may ruin my memory of a great set of books. Actually, don't like to watch films of books i've read, they are usually a let down.

How about Captain Corelli's Mandolin, fantastic book, don't think a film could do it justice.
 toad 13 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200: The Dark is Rising (at least as good as Northern Lights) The Americans made a bowdlerised harrypotterlite - a travesty
 graeme jackson 13 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:
Shogun
touching the void
Removed User 14 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:

The Dogs of War - Frederick Forsyth. Awesome book, unrecognisable film.
 misslipsy 15 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200: memoirs of a geisha
stormy 15 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:

Dune - film was all over the place
 Tony the Blade 15 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:

Ben Hur
The Robe
Spartacus
Moses
Jesus Of Nazareth

in fact any bible based fillum - just too much fiction!
In reply to TRNovice:
> (In reply to mlu200)
>
> Heart of Darkness.

Wasn't that Apocolypse Now?? One of the best films ever
 toad 15 Oct 2008
In reply to stormy:
> (In reply to mlu200)
>
> Dune - film was all over the place

Yes, but it was all over the place in a GOOD way. I love that film, though I can see why others would be less enthused by it!
 Mike Hartley 15 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:

Eragon should never have been made a film...and if it was, it should at least have stayed loyal to the book instead of taking the approximate stories of half a dozen characters and wandering off on a tangent with them. Since when did Saphira have feathers?!
 Al Evans 15 Oct 2008
In reply to stormy:
> (In reply to mlu200)
>
> Dune - film was all over the place

Agree with that, plus Lord of the Rings.
 cmcteir 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to stormy)
> [...]
>
> Agree with that, plus Lord of the Rings.

Ditto
 jkarran 15 Oct 2008
In reply to waterbaby:

> How about Captain Corelli's Mandolin, fantastic book, don't think a film could do it justice.

Have you actually seen it? I avoided it for years thinking the same but it's actually not a bad effort.

Last year there was a Radio4 interview with someone writing a Birdsong screenplay. Can't see that working

jk
 thin bob 15 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:
I, Robot.

And my diaries, of course, dammit!....
neilinut 15 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:

Starship Troopers. The film only covers about 5 pages of the (excellent)book. I think treated properly it could make a great film.
 Frank4short 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Sammy the Shammy:
> (In reply to TRNovice)
> [...]
>
> Wasn't that Apocolypse Now?? One of the best films ever

I think he's just being facetious as if i remember correctly. The book heart of darkness was written about the making of Ap Now.

As to some other posters comment on Catch 22 i think the film is a pretty good realisation of the book. Has all the humour yet still shows the dark side intended in the book.

I'd possibly suggest johny neumonic as one of the worst films ever from a book.
 Neil Pratt 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Frank4short:

I think you'll find Heart of Darkness is a classic book by Joseph Conrad, upon which Apocalypse Now is loosely based
 leewam121 15 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:
Battlefield Earth...
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to stormy)
> [...]
>
> Yes, but it was all over the place in a GOOD way. I love that film, though I can see why others would be less enthused by it!

I was very disappointed by the Dune film. To understand the film you needed to have read the book, but having read the book you could see how much of a mess they made of the film. Like the "wierding modules"? not in book. Watched it with a friend who hadn't read the book, had to constantly explain what was happening and getting pissed off because it was so bad.
 J.Wells 15 Oct 2008
In reply to snoop6060:

so true. Great books, definitely "literature" but the film was a pile of piss that has sullied the books name(s)
 Frank4short 15 Oct 2008
In reply to Ditch_Jockey: Doh i retract my previous statement so.
 RockAngel 15 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200: Know its not a book, but the remake of The Wicker Man is just awful and should never have been done. Its been americanised and lost most of its sinister character because its been watered down to suit the sensitive americans.
 graeme jackson 15 Oct 2008
In reply to the crabbit man:
> (In reply to toad)
> [...]
>
> I was very disappointed by the Dune film.

me too. There is a 3 part version that's supposed to be reasonable but I've put off watching it until I get some definitive reviews from UKC.
Anonymous 15 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:
Captain Corelli's mandolin.
Jesus H Christ, this was bad.
 Dominion 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Mike Hartley:

> Eragon should never have been made a film...

It barely should have been made into a book. In terms of writing style, anyway. Needed a good editing, and might have got it if it hadn't been published by his parent's company, initially...

I note that the 3rd book has just been published, and has been expanded to make room for a fourth, though. So someone must like them.
 Mike Hartley 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Dominion:

I've read all 3, and can happily say that I like them all. It's write up there with His Dark Materials for me.
Rosie A 16 Oct 2008
In reply to petestack:
> (In reply to mlu200)
>
> Just about anything (The Jungle Book, Winnie-the-Pooh etc.) reworked by Disney! :-P

agree with that, especially Winnie-the-pooh, they mullahed it.

Dominion 16 Oct 2008

Sorry, the story is OK, but the writing style is horrendous.

Pullman can write, and tell a story.
 Mike Hartley 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Dominion:

I am a big fan of Pullman, I was actually really gutted when I finished The Amber Spyglass because the adventure was over!
 graeme jackson 16 Oct 2008
> (In reply to Dominion)
>
> I am a big fan of Pullman, I was actually really gutted when I finished The Amber Spyglass because the adventure was over!

I'll get laughed for this, but I felt the same at the weekend when I finished the Harry potter books. One of those stories I wanted to carry on.

Mike Hartley 16 Oct 2008
In reply to graeme jackson:
> (In reply to Mike Hartley)
> [...]
>
> I'll get laughed for this, but I felt the same at the weekend when I finished the Harry potter books. One of those stories I wanted to carry on.

Likewise! I'm kinda hoping she writes another...maybe going back to harry in his early days as an Auror. I'm assuming he becomes an Auror here, it was never actually stated, though he did want to be one.
In reply to mlu200:

The Bonfire of the Vanities.
 graeme jackson 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Mike Hartley: I see she's bringing out 'Beedle the Bard', the fairy story book mentioned in the last harry potter. The same sort of spinoff as Pratchett's 'Where's my cow?'. Doubt if I'll be reading that one.
 220bpm 16 Oct 2008
In reply to toad:
>The Dark is Rising (at least as good as Northern Lights) The Americans made a bowdlerised harrypotterlite - a travesty

Oh they didn't did they?

Thats an unforgiveable slaughtering of one of my favourite childhood reads. I remember having the box set of them all.

Ar$eholes.

Jon Jones 16 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:

Johnny New-mon-ick*

*(ahem!)
 ripper 16 Oct 2008
In reply to waterbaby:
> (In reply to snoop6060)
> [...]
>
> How about Captain Corelli's Mandolin, fantastic book, don't think a film could do it justice.

Absolutely right - the book was a good tale, regardless of what you think of the depiction of Greek resistance fighters as murderers and rapists. The film, however, is just pants
 plastikman 16 Oct 2008
In reply to TRNovice:

What’s wrong with Apocalypse Now?
 ripper 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to Sammy the Shammy)
> [...]
>
> I think he's just being facetious as if i remember correctly. The book heart of darkness was written about the making of Ap Now.
>
Er, sorry but Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad was written in 1899 so can harldy be about the making of the film - it's a great book in it's own right, set among imperialist ivy traders in Africa in the late 19th century, and was the inspiration for the film - it's mentioned as such in the credits. I think you're confusing it was Eleanor Coppola's book 'Notes on the making of Apocalypse Now' and the making-of documentary called Hearts (note plural) of darkness. Right, I'll get me anorak....
 SC 16 Oct 2008
In reply to mlu200:

American Psycho. Excellent book, very average film. The book was far more graphic & violent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...