UKC

NEWS/PHOTOS: Belgian Duo Climb New El Cap Free Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 20 Oct 2008
Nico Favresse and Sean Villanueva O'Driscoll are on a road trip in the USA. They have recently completed a new free route on El Cap that they have named The Secret Passage.

Nico gives us the full run down in the UKC News Item: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=10&year=2008#n45390

Photo Essay of the ascent: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1348
 TobyA 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Great! Inspirational stuff ...except the singing!
 Morgan Woods 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

some stunning shots there too!
 Andy Moles 20 Oct 2008

Now that is a stylish ascent!
philip king 20 Oct 2008
In reply to AMo:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> Now that is a stylish ascent!

Doubly so with all that Patagonia gear!
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: This makes me wonder once again why very good climbers piss about reducing the time for free climbing The Nose by a couple of minutes when there are new routes to be done. Probably just me though....
 jl100 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Richard Bradley: Because freeing a new 5.13c R and speed climbing the nose require very different skills. Different climbers enjoy doing different challenges. A bit of variety is always good too isn't it? its not like all the Hubers do is try and do the nose quick, theyve done many new yosemite free routes too and Yuji has (nearly?) onsighted the Salathe.

Great to see this done. I'd always thought the line of Eagles Way would go mostly free, as many of the harder sections are either hooking or steep cracks.

Well done those guys - I total inspiration!
 Chris F 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Richard Bradley:
> Probably just me though....

As usual, not just you.

Great effort.
 John2 20 Oct 2008
In reply to Richard Bradley: If climbing the Nose in 2 1/2 hours is your idea of pissing about, I can't imagine what your idea of getting on with it must be.
 Wil Treasure 20 Oct 2008
In reply to John2:
> If climbing the Nose in 2 1/2 hours is your idea of pissing about, I can't imagine what your idea of getting on with it must be.

I don't think his point is that it's pissing about, it's just a strange thing to do if you've already climbed it in 2 1/2 hours and a few minutes...

But then climbing is a strange game!

This route sounds like it provided a real adventure, and the style it was climbed in just makes it better. Fine effort.
 nz Cragrat 20 Oct 2008
In reply to katonka:

surely there is not much difference between that and running a marathon and trying to improve your time?
 Wil Treasure 20 Oct 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Precisely - that's exactly why I like climbing, there's so much variety in it, but you can also set yourself quite 1-dimensional goals too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...