UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Ilkley and Rocky Valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 04 Nov 2008
Kevin Avery takes us on a tour of the magnificent Ilkley and the Rocky Valley.

Ilkley and The Rocky Valley are home to some of Yorkshire's finest gritstone routes. A stone's throw from a butty van and a great pub, seconds from the car park, stunning views down the rolling pasture-land of the Wharf valley...

Have you ticked all our classic list?

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1285
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Should the Northern England Rockfax not get a mention in the guidebook section?
 Mick Ward 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Good, comprehensive article from someone who obviously knows the place backwards.

[Pedant alert] Yer man, from back when, is on Josephine Direct (or Superdirect?), isn't he?

The photo of Tufted flatters it immensely... reminiscent of Octo area on Cloggy?? Nice pic though.

More good stuff from Kevin. What's next - Secret Crags Near Silsden??

Keep 'em coming!

Mick
 James Oswald 04 Nov 2008
I'm sure in the Calf area section it should say highball bouldering/routes not bouldering/highball routes?
Removed User 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: What no mention of Illegitimate Crack? The best VS at the venue, with no queueing necessary?
 Simon Caldwell 04 Nov 2008
What excellent photos, I particularly like the one at the top

P.S. Yes Mr Pearson is definitely on Josephine (Super) Direct.

Removed User 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Also the concept of the Cow & Calf being a 'great pub' is a little off the mark, even if the beer garden does have a good view!
 Offwidth 04 Nov 2008

Nice article but its a little disapointing that the same old classic venues always seem to get the media coverage.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Offwidth:
Like this you mean?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=893

BTW, although the quarry is usually busy, I've never met anyone else when climbing at Rocky Valley. Possibly because the quarry has some quality routes, whereas RV is midge-infested and polished
 Offwidth 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Toreador:

I see what your doing there.... you forgot for RV the monsters that live under the rocks, the ubiquitous slime and the sandbag grades. However, its hard to convince people and I've often seen others there.

Offwidth 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Toreador:

Forgot to add the North York Moors article was a comparative breath of fresh air.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...