UKC

NEW REVIEW: DMM Renegade Harness, by TobyA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 12 Nov 2008
"It's kind of boring to say it, but the Renegade is, well, almost perfect."

Toby Archer likes the DMM Renegade:

"...the Renegade can be seen as one of the high points of the current harness technologies and manufacturing."

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1333
In reply to UKC Gear: looks a bit like my wild country one only nicer! pity its not in the same fetching orange as mine though.
 gethin_allen 15 Nov 2008
In reply to UKC Gear:
could be a fitting replacement for my petzl corax that's starting to show wear and never had enough gear loops even after i'd added an extra one to the back.
Also i like buying DMM as they are based in Wales and are proud of it.
 steveshaking 15 Nov 2008
In reply to gethin_allen: I tried one on when they first came out and found the rise too short, I wonder what Toby thought about that, may be it was me (thought its not a usual problem I find) or perhaps they have updated the design?
Steve
 TobyA 15 Nov 2008
In reply to steveshaking: Hmm, odd - I've found the opposite because the Renegade is unisex so they have a slightly longer than normal belay loop I think. My wife uses the harness quite happily and tells me I have to use my old one because that doesn't fit her as well if we're climbing together - and a longer rise is a normal design feature on women specific harnesses.

I wonder if they have changed the design?
 Andrew Smith 15 Nov 2008
In reply to UKC Gear: One of the gear loops snapped on mine last weekend which I found was quite poor.
 TobyA 15 Nov 2008
In reply to andyyyy: Did it snag on something? I suppose everything has a limit (they often say 5kg per loop) but if it just broke that isn't good. I guess you can't have had it so long as they only came out in the spring I think? So hopefully the shop will replace it or send it off to be fixed.

Just checked mine from the cupboard - all the bar tacking holding on the loops look OK. I've been using mine basically every weekend since late April to give you an idea of usage.
 simon geering 28 Nov 2008
In reply to TobyA:

That limit is the issue imho, with no haul loop i wouldn't trust if if for example as we needed to do in skye this autum, you need to hang your pack below you as you climb for tight chimney sections etc. Which is a shame as i two like to buy DMM where i can as it is nice to support uk companies.
SI A 29 Nov 2008
In reply to andyyyy:

this happened to mine, one of the earlier models without the quick buckles and dmm sent me a new one.

cheers thanks very much. i love dmm.
 petestack 29 Nov 2008
In reply to TobyA:

Ooh, I like the look of that crag you're climbing on in the photos!
 TobyA 30 Nov 2008
In reply to petestack:

> Ooh, I like the look of that crag you're climbing on in the photos!

The last pic is actually a different crag to the others, but most Finnish cliffs are pretty similar - granite and between about 10 and 30 mtrs. Both were only discovered in the last few years so now there are hundred or so new routes that weren't there before. In fact the route I'm climbing in the bottom picture 'wasn't there' (i.e. still covered in lichen, mud, moss and leaf mould) a few weeks before when I had previously visited.

Quite a few of the pictures in the other reviews I've done recently were taken at the same crags.
thesiaus 30 Nov 2008
In reply to UKC Gear:

I used mine for 4 weeks in the alps this summer. worked a treat. it felt comfortable even after an 18 hour epic. I even forgot to take it off till we got back to the car some 21 hours after putting it on. This includes 2 hours waiting for a cable car with a pint at the aguille du midi. (although this may be more due to tiredness!!) Its not very restrictive when walking like some harnesses, and has enough gear loops to carry everything you need and more. The floating padding is fantastic makes a massive difference to the comfort and the practicality of 7 gear loops.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...