UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: Alex Honnold climbing Gaia E8 6c

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 15 Nov 2008
On Wednesday the 12th November Alex Honnold climbed Gaia E8 at Black Rocks. He'd not been on the route before and had seen video footage of someone climbing Gaia in the past. Video below by Sam Whittaker of the Climbing Works.

Read more at : http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=11&year=2008#n45444
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Brilliant! I thought the blurb said it took him three minutes?

Chris
 sutty 15 Nov 2008

Very neat, didn't like that top sloper at first did he, then got confidence and eventually made it seem like a jug!!

Well done that man.
 Mooncat 15 Nov 2008

Excellent,getting the top right onsight is amazing.

Hope he's brushed all that chalk off afterwards.
 Taba 15 Nov 2008

probably the best bit of trad climbing ive ever seen on film. amazing.
 TobyA 16 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Excellent - I was nervous even though we sort of know what the outcome is going to be!
 Jamie B 16 Nov 2008

I wonder how many people will choose not to view the video for fear of blowing a future on-sight?

What a stunning route; definitive slopey gritstone wierdness.
 tom bre 16 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Astonishing. Yeah this has been well filmed several times before but its another thing to feel holds for yourself. Brilliant links to clips like these are one reason that uk climbing is such a great site
 tom bre 16 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Astonishing. Yeah this has been well filmed several times before but its another thing to feel holds for yourself. Brilliant, links to clips like these are one reason that uk climbing is such a great site
 Jon Read 16 Nov 2008
In reply to sutty:
Yes, very styling. Nice understated top-out, too. No adolescent whooping and screaming either, always the sign of someone in control and content with themselves! (Ahem, over-analysis warning...)
 sutty 16 Nov 2008
In reply to Jon Read:

Now if I had been on the route it would have been on sight with no knowledge of the route apart from Alex's picture of a falling climber. I thought he was copping out by going right at the top, thinking the route went straight up!!

Direct finish anyone. Would it go?
Mini 16 Nov 2008
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Jon Read)

>
> Direct finish anyone. Would it go?

Yes. http://www.rockfax.com/databases/r.php?i=10785

Alex repeated The New Statesman, E8 7a at Ilkley yesterday.
 sutty 16 Nov 2008
In reply to Mini:

I wonder if Alex will go back to try that now?
 john howard 1 16 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Wow, so impressive-he was so smooth and considered, it really looked like a very controlled lead-well done alex, and cheers for the footage Sam and UKC, keep up the good work.
 JSA 16 Nov 2008

Brilliant ascent, notice the lack of toe hook before moving hands to the top? WOW!!
 JLS 16 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

>"the blurb said it took him three minutes?"

Alex breezed his way up the route in a time of just over three minutes.

http://www.climbmagazine.com/gaiaonsight.aspx

David Simmonite's watch must need a new battery.
morphus 16 Nov 2008
In reply to JLS: maybe he subtracted all those superfluous dips into the chalk bag?b
Dr Strabismus 16 Nov 2008

I don't fully understand why, even though I know he flashed it, I found myself getting tense watching that.

Awesome.
 James Oswald 16 Nov 2008
In reply to sutty:
Charlie Woodburn did it E9 7a and you will hit the ground!
 James Oswald 16 Nov 2008
That was awesome!!
IS there sound or is it my comp!?!?
 petestack 16 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald:
> (In reply to sutty)
> Charlie Woodburn did it E9 7a and you will hit the ground!

In reply to Mini:

Missed the boat, James?

lps 16 Nov 2008
are either of these boys planning on onsighting indian face before they go home? & if they are, where can i buy tickets?
 James Oswald 16 Nov 2008
In reply to petestack:
Yes
Hehe
However i have been away so i think that's a fair excuse :P
 Jamie B 16 Nov 2008
In reply to Bret (rock god):

> are either of these boys planning on onsighting indian face before they go home?

Unlikely; Indian Face is a very different sort of proposition. I suspect that they'd also approach Birkett/McLeod testpieces much more cautiously. They do seem to have got gritstone well dialled though
 Wft 17 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: bit off topic but has anyone else seen the video with this man climbing an offwidth in indian creek on the black diamond website. Now that is a man with good composure.

well done to him
 James Oswald 26 Nov 2008
Is there no gear in the crack which Alex laybacks up at 34 seconds. Looks like there could be in the pic? Or is it merely decieving making it look like there is?
 TobyA 27 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald:

> Is there no gear in the crack which Alex laybacks up at 34 seconds. Looks like there could be in the pic? Or is it merely decieving making it look like there is?

Do you think that everyone from Dawes onwards might not have noticed if there was extra placements there? For an easier comparison do Sunset Slab at Froggat. It kind of looks like there should be something there, but as many thousands of nervous onsighters have found out - there isn't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...