UKC

REVIEW: An interview with Joe Brown (DVD) by Gordon Stainforth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 18 Nov 2008
Gordon Stainforth takes us through the Joe Brown Interview DVD that comes FREE with the new UpsideDown Wales DVD.

He finds it to be essential viewing for anyone with an interest in climbing history...

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1435
Clauso 18 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Nice article, but re. the comment "He's deliciously deflating about Murray's overblown description (in 'Mountaineering in Scotland') of a pitch on the Clachaig Gully in Glencoe.": perhaps A.H. Murray might be permitted a bit of leeway, as far as any 'overblown description' is concerned, given that he wrote 'Mountaineering in Scotland' many years after he'd climbed the routes in question and, indeed, while he was being half-starved to death as a prisoner of war in a variety of camps across Europe!?! In fact, he wrote it not once, but twice, on toilet paper; the first copy having been confiscated by the Gestapo.
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> Nice article, but re. the comment "He's deliciously deflating about Murray's overblown description (in 'Mountaineering in Scotland') of a pitch on the Clachaig Gully in Glencoe.": perhaps A.H. Murray might be permitted a bit of leeway, as far as any 'overblown description' is concerned, given that he wrote 'Mountaineering in Scotland' many years after he'd climbed the routes in question and, indeed, while he was being half-starved to death as a prisoner of war in a variety of camps across Europe!?! In fact, he wrote it not once, but twice, on toilet paper; the first copy having been confiscated by the Gestapo.

Yes, Darren, that is the great true story ... yet I've always found his writing just too romantic for my taste - and that's saying something! Because it's historical he can get away with it, but no modern writer could (i.e. they'd have huge difficulty getting a publisher, I suspect).
 petestack 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
> A.H. Murray

W.H. Murray

Clauso 25 Nov 2008
In reply to petestack:
>
> W.H. Murray

You're correct, of course. I blame the proximity of 'A' and 'W' on qwerty keyboards!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...