UKC

IT Help please - Virgin broadband....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The proper Jules W 20 Nov 2008
one of my kids deleted my broadband settings for this - i know my password and user name - anyone know what goes in the domain name box?

ta
 rossowen 20 Nov 2008
In reply to The proper Jules W: There shouldn't be a domain name - are you sure you are looking in the right place? It sounds like you've gone into Network Connections and setup a new connection in there - but you should log in to the router, usually through internet explorer, and enter it that way.
 Dominion 20 Nov 2008
In reply to The proper Jules W:

Not many ISPs use the domain name setting

VPI 0
VCI 38

are probably the other most important ones.
In reply to The proper Jules W: well when i try to connect allthe details are gone..i type in user name and password and it doesnt work .. any suggestions ?
 Tree 20 Nov 2008
In reply to The proper Jules W: In the settings, are you connecting via adsl?
 Dominion 20 Nov 2008

We are going to assume it's an ADSL router, for a start. Letting us know which one (make and model) would help.

Has it got an ADSL / DSL light on it? Is the light solid, flashing or off?

winhill 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to The proper Jules W)
>
> We are going to assume it's an ADSL router,

If it is Virgin it is more likely it is an old NTL cable isn't it?
 Dominion 20 Nov 2008
In reply to winhill:

Possibly. But they do ADSL as well.

Best for the OP to give as much info as possible, rather than leave us to make wild guesses, though
In reply to Dominion: hi its a wired broadband modem, plugged into phone line, both lights are green....only problem is the lack of log in details...what else you need to know ?
In reply to Dominion: unfortunately i am working in scotland and its at home in yorkshire .. not back til the weekend for make /model info
 Jon Jones 20 Nov 2008

talking of Virgin.... is £10/month good for Broadband on its own? No telly or phone line.
 Moacs 20 Nov 2008

Is there a reason not to just call their helpline and ask?

Ours has broken twice and they've sorted it - once over the phone and once by digging up the road.

J
 sutty 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Moacs:

I am considering getting their cable bundle as no freeview for another four years here and wondered how it is for phones etc. Talked to someone about it but forgot to ask about connecting the three phone sockets in the house, any information would be helpful
 Moacs 20 Nov 2008
In reply to sutty:

Hi Sutty

We use a wireless phone set, but once the main box was connected all the phone sockets seemed to be live.

Overall it's ok - up time and speed (we are on 10M but I think they do 20) are good. Service has bene ok, although the billing is chaos (due to being Ntl and someone else before) and the installation was messy (unbelievably they use seperate contractors for the street, the bit to the hous eand inside the house). They're not the cheapest, but if I'm e-mailing presentations or markting materials or piccies to my Mum I can't stand the sitting around.

J
 sutty 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Moacs:

2mb broadband, weekend phone and basic tv for about £20 is a lot less than I pay now. Don't need more as don't download films etc and though I sometimes get 4.8mb on a good day it is usually more like 3.5mb so don't need high speed.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/specialoffers/index.html
In reply to Moacs: no, no reason just dont have the no to hand am i am supposed to be working - is it any good, yes, and they will upgrade you to 10mg for 1p more, yes 1p per month....
 DaveHK 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Moacs:
> (In reply to The proper Jules W)
>
> Is there a reason not to just call their helpline and ask?

From my experience you can kiss goodbye to your whole evening if you try to get through to virgin.
 Nigel R 20 Nov 2008
In reply to The proper Jules W: Hi Jules. You got snow yet?

If IE doesn't connect straight away, type activation.virginmedia.com into the IP address bar.

It's a wizard that takes you through the set-up step by step. As I remember from mine I didn't need a domain name at all. Setting up the wireless: now there's another story!
 Pauline 20 Nov 2008
In reply to The proper Jules W: I usually ring them and they sort me out in a very short time. They usually know what the problem is and how to sort it. If it is a problem at theor end they usually refund the phone call too!

Find the number and ring them!
The proper Jules W 22 Nov 2008
In reply to Pauline: update .. it helps if you resetup your login not with user name@virgin.net but username@adsl.virgin.net .. horah .. problem solved ...

appreciate everyones help very much - Nig, it ben a while, we had snow in glasgow yesterday and all the way down the A66 but 'the new toy' made it all worth while - doubled by the fact they replaced in on monday with an all new 58 plate with 2 miles on the clock .. due to my excessive mileage ....

will endeavour to catch up with you soon .. may finally get a holiday before xmas as its well overdue - time for another trip to N Wales perhaps ? or Dr John has suggested we have the farm house in france for a boys trip in the new year .. thoughts ??

Ju
 Dominion 22 Nov 2008

> it helps if you resetup your login not with user name@virgin.net but username@adsl.virgin.net .. horah .. problem solved ...

Now open Notepad or Wordpad, and make a copy of the user settings, so you can paste them in if it happens again!

And if the router was completely set to default, and it's a wireless router, then make sure you put in all the proper security settings back in, too.

eg if you don't use wireless, then disable it, if you do, then use a WPA key, and don't allow remote management of the router via wireless etc etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...