UKC

NEWS: Alex Honnold - Masters Edge O/S & London Wall O/S Solo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 22 Nov 2008
Alex Honnold, one of the visiting American climbers, currently rampaging across the Peak District, has continued his gritstone demolition with an impressive on-sight solo of the classic E5 finger crack London Wall at Millstone and an on-sight ascent of Masters Edge (E7 6b), also at Millstone.

Read more: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=11&year=2008#n45459
 James Oswald 22 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:
Phenomenal!!! Were they recorded!
Is that the first onsight of masters edge?
 James Oswald 22 Nov 2008
I wonder if they'll have a go at Equilibrium.....
 Liam Copley 22 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: it just gets better and better
In reply to james oswald: Would have thought they have at least had a look at it? They really have taken the grit by the short and curlies. Can't wait for the video (although maybe it will all look too easy?).
 Adam Lincoln 22 Nov 2008

The onsight solo of London Wall is one of the finest things they did this trip. Up there with the solo of Wellington Crack!
Dr Strabismus 22 Nov 2008
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Are they both firsts? The onsight of MW ann the onsight SOLO of LW, I Mean?
 UKB Shark 22 Nov 2008

Welly Crack is piss compared to London Wall. I expect Moonlight Butress harder still.
 Adam Lincoln 22 Nov 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
>
> Welly Crack is piss compared to London Wall. I expect Moonlight Butress harder still.

I wonder if he cleaned the gravel off the top of LW first!

London Wall onsight solo. Now that is impressive! I almost can't quite digest it, knowing how those last moves are so insecure.

However, having been sat at the belay on The Rostrum in Yosemite and watching Alex solo past me whilst chatting and handing out beta then nothing that he does surprises me so much any more. Hands down the most impressive and competent climber I've ever witnesses firsthand and probably ever will.
 GDes 23 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald: no it was onsighted by james mchaffie wasn't it?

Onsight solo of london wall? That's just gobsmacking. someone get these lads back here in the summer when the big crags are dry.
 Kyuzo 23 Nov 2008
That's phenomenal! Really inspiring.

I'll bet it was a laugh compared to Moonlight Butress.
 mark s 23 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: os solo of london wall is in my eyes the most impresive climb of his trip here.
 g taylor 23 Nov 2008
In reply to mark s: 2nd that
Dr Strabismus 23 Nov 2008
In reply to mark s:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC) os solo of london wall is in my eyes the most impresive climb of his trip here.

I think that seems to be the consensus, but does anyone know if it's been done before?
 The sharp end 23 Nov 2008

Bloody hell! Awesome!!!!
 dsh 23 Nov 2008

This guy is the Michael Phelps of climbing.
 alex 23 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald:

I must admit to taking a photo or two.. It was v.impressive.
 teddy 23 Nov 2008
In reply to Dr Strabismus:

No it hasn't
 Silum 23 Nov 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: does anybody know if these ascents are going to be in a video? I cant think of a better climbing video with all these ascents
 James Oswald 23 Nov 2008
Maybe he should try and onsight an E9?
 Adam Lincoln 23 Nov 2008
In reply to Silum:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC) does anybody know if these ascents are going to be in a video? I cant think of a better climbing video with all these ascents

I know some have been filmed. They will probably end up on Momentum Video Magazine soon.

Silum 24 Nov 2008
In reply to Adam Lincoln: sweet
 nz Cragrat 24 Nov 2008
In reply to Silum:

Excuse my ignorance having not climbed London Wall but it is 25/7a+/7b isn't it and that is not particularly difficult these days if you are operating well above 8a? Even for onsight solo
 andi turner 24 Nov 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:
> (In reply to Silum)
>
> Excuse my ignorance having not climbed London Wall but it is 25/7a+/7b isn't it and that is not particularly difficult these days if you are operating well above 8a? Even for onsight solo

It is if you live within a twenty file mile radius of the route
 teddy 24 Nov 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:
> (In reply to Silum)
>
> Excuse my ignorance having not climbed London Wall but it is 25/7a+/7b isn't it and that is not particularly difficult these days if you are operating well above 8a? Even for onsight solo

I think its the fact that there are no real footholds on the final crack section which is the most disconcerting thing! Its not like its Sardine which is covered in footholds although an on sight solo of Sardine would also be very impressive.
loz 24 Nov 2008
In reply to mark s:

If I was there I dont think I could of watched that

Mega impresive
 Jus 24 Nov 2008

The cahones and belief in ones ability to set off on London Wall on the onsight solo is something I can't quite get my head around!

Then again soloing Moonlight Buttress is out of this world.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Nov 2008
In reply to Jus:

I suspect Moonlight Butrress solo is in a different league to London Wall solo - its 5.12d and 1000'+ long - London Wall is 5.12a (a guess?) and shorter!

Chris
 Chris F 24 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs: Plus there is some really thrutchy looking climbing on Moonlight Buttress and I wouldn't want to trust Zion rock too much.
 UKB Shark 24 Nov 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat: Excuse my ignorance having not climbed London Wall but it is 25/7a+/7b isn't it and that is not particularly difficult these days if you are operating well above 8a? Even for onsight solo

Be interesting to have AH's take on this. We can take it for granted that as a yank he could jam before he could crawl. By comparison I know of one Sheffield hotshot who had to be instructed how to handjam when top roping Requiem. Personally I think London Wall is the living end - I couldnt even dog the top moves - there are no footholds. Howver, Alan James thinks its a path and used to do several laps on it before breakfast - or at least that is the impression I formed...
 GrahamD 24 Nov 2008
In reply to james oswald:

Widdop Wall would be THE big finale IMO.
 Tom Briggs 24 Nov 2008
In reply to teddy:
> (In reply to nz Cragrat)
> [...]
>
> I think its the fact that there are no real footholds on the final crack section which is the most disconcerting thing! Its not like its Sardine which is covered in footholds although an on sight solo of Sardine would also be very impressive.

Impressive though an on-sight solo of London Wall is, it's hardly a surprising feat for a top American crack climber! If you are good at jamming, I would imagine it's a really very secure route to solo. Sure, there are no foot holds on the top section, but the jams are solid. I suspect Alex H could reverse every move on London Wall if he didn't fancy continuing. You couldn't say that about some of the other routes he's cruised on the grit!
 Jus 24 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Still ONSIGHTING the rather forbidding looking London Wall is not miles off his solo of MB. Of course I may be wrong if LW felt like HVS to him!
 UKB Shark 24 Nov 2008
In reply to Jus: London Wall is not miles off his solo of MB

Hmmm..

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP17/climbing-notes-wilder
 teddy 24 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to Jus)
>
> I suspect Moonlight Butrress solo is in a different league to London Wall solo - its 5.12d and 1000'+ long - London Wall is 5.12a (a guess?) and shorter!
>
>
> Chris

Agreed but Alex extensively rehearsed MB on toprope before his eventual send compared to his onsight on LW. Similar achievements in my view bearing in mind he said that MB was 'locker' all the way ie. positive jams.
 g taylor 24 Nov 2008
In reply to Tom Briggs: He didnt totally cruise the top section, I'd say he spent maybe 5 mins hanging around working out what to do, because he could only fit his pinkies in the crack. Extremely unpleasant to watch!
 Silum 24 Nov 2008
In reply to Jus:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
>
> Still ONSIGHTING the rather forbidding looking London Wall is not miles off his solo of MB. Of course I may be wrong if LW felt like HVS to him!

i agree, people seem to be forgetting that part. Yea MB is harder climbing, less secue etc sure, but at least he knew that. On sighting a climb a couple grades lower than that is still mighty impressive
 chris_j_s 24 Nov 2008

Amazing!

Disregarding everything else Alex has done this trip if I had flashed Gaia, onsighted Masters Edge and onsight soloed London Wall (crazy scary, regardless of the ongoing discussion on this thread) I would be a very happy man.

These climbs, along with the ground-up of Parthian Shot fit in really nicely with the recent renewed interest this 'purer' style of climbing.
 ClimberEd 24 Nov 2008

a video of this would be really cool!

Just amazing.
 Ed Booth 24 Nov 2008
In reply to GrahamD:

> Widdop Wall would be THE big finale IMO.

Or a repeat of Loaded at Millstone.
 Adam Lincoln 24 Nov 2008
In reply to boothy:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
>
> [...]
>
> Or a repeat of Loaded at Millstone.

Millstone? Ilkley?

I think it's clear what the situation calls for, and that's for someone to hop over to Bishop for six weeks, repeat all their highballs there and downgrade those....

Unfortunately I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment myself - any volunteers?

jcm
 Adam Lincoln 24 Nov 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC)
>
> I think it's clear what the situation calls for, and that's for someone to hop over to Bishop for six weeks, repeat all their highballs there and downgrade those....

I've stood underneath most of them, and abbed a couple of them. Most of them are font 7c+/8a/8a+ climbing in a less than comfortable distance from the ground. Think Wills Young gave them E grades a while ago. I'll see if i can find link.

t_stork 24 Nov 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: i would, but....
-the weather doesnt look to go
-my tendons feel weak
-i'm more of a trad man myself
-i have an essay to finish
-it might rain
-the conditions arent very good

loz 24 Nov 2008

People are talking as if its a peace of piss. If you’ve seen Leo Holdings footage on best forgotten art were he nearly throughs up at the top you could get some measure of this climb.
 Michael Ryan 24 Nov 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
>
> I think it's clear what the situation calls for, and that's for someone to hop over to Bishop for six weeks, repeat all their highballs there and downgrade those....

Tons of Brits go to Bishop. In fact several were involved in the development in the late 90's/2000.

Apr 26 2007: E-grades for American Highball Boulder Problems by Mick Ryan

Some protectionless routes in the UK that were once given E-grades are now increasingly given bouldering grades, Font or V, take your pick, and are redefined as highball boulder problems - or Super Blocs to some.

In an interesting twist, Wills Young of Bishop, sent us a list of highball boulder problems around Bishop, California, that he has assigned E-grades to.

The Ninth V7 (Pollen Grains, Matt Wilder, Nov. 2005) — E6
This Side of Paradise V10 (Bardini Boulders, Matt Wilder, Nov. 2005) — E7
Flight of the Bumblebee V9 (Secrets of the Beehive Area, Kevin Jorgeson, Jan. 2007) — E8
Evilution V11/12 (Peabody Boulders, Jason Kehl, Nov. 2002) — E8

Pick of the crop is The Beautiful and the Damned V13 at the Bardini Boulders first climbed by Kevin Jorgeson this last January and given a proposed E-grade of E9. This monster got a repeat by Ethan Pringle, another American climber who is making waves like Jorgeson, both of whom Wills describes as world-class climbers.

These problems/routes are usually pre-inspected on a rope and in some cases moves are practiced.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=04&year=2007
 Adam Lincoln 04 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Short interview with Alex when he returned back to America.
http://www.momentumvm.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&am...
 Shani 04 Dec 2008

Great interview. He comes across as very humble and incredibly modest.

"But eventually it worked out, like it always does"

Now THAT is what I call self-confidence. In my eyes the guy is a legend.

That is just amazing. Totally amazing. London wall isn't the easiest route to hang around and figure the moves out on either. What a guy.
 Michael Ryan 04 Dec 2008
In reply to Shani:

Further insight in to the Honnold

Solo, Part I: Alex Honnold

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web08x/wfeature-solo-honnold
 Shani 04 Dec 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson:
>
> That is just amazing. Totally amazing. London wall isn't the easiest route to hang around and figure the moves out on either. What a guy.

Personally I find this one of THE most amazing climbing feats of all time! I know many people who have flashed LW, I know many people who have soloed E5 onsight and soloed E6 and above. I know few who would venture up LW onsight-solo.
In reply to Shani: exactly. It's hard 6a, some say 6b, with little rest on steep terain, solo?! on paper it doesn't sound too impressive, but it's probably equivalent to E7 to solo.
 Shani 04 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Cheers. Another fine interview.
 Shani 04 Dec 2008
In reply to Franco Cookson:

It is interesting that on the IF interview, Dawes conceives of 'running down the slab' if he fell. Now this is unlikely to save you from dying on IF, but mentally gives you a plan B - albeit a bloody marginal one.

On LW, if you pop off there is no plan B - and that is one nasty landing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...