UKC

NEWS: 21 climbers summit Cerro Torre by West Face Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 16 Dec 2008
Six teams climbed the upper west face of Cerro Torre in the first nine days of December, doubling the number of previous ascents. A total of 21 climbers summited the granite spire via the west face.....

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=12&year=2008#n45510
 Adam Long 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Amazing developments. Just the walk-in alone makes it a very different prospect.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Daniele Chiappa, who at 22 was the youngest of the four summiters on 1974, left us last year, and I believe he would have really pleased to know that "his" route had become so popular. The same goes for Claudio Corti, who did a lot to help the team bringing supplies up and down the route (while he was prevented from reaching the summit).

This said, I find a bit sad reading about Garibotti's comments - he's a great climber, and I think he may do better than joining what's becoming something like a big, ugly smear job on Cesare Maestri's name - even just considering that, without the Compressor Route, I've my doubt the area around Cerro Torre could have developed has much as it did. And I think someone should ask Jim Bridwell if "the Compressor Route is not really an ascent of Cerro Torre" - he may have a different opinion on it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...