UKC

NEWS: Andy Kirkpatrick on Radio 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Edwards 17 Dec 2008
Morning all
I thought i heard announced in a trailer this morning that Andy Kirkpatrick is on Libby Purves' book punt show Midweek at 9am.
You can catch it on listen again or at 9.30 this evening but i would have thought that the evening repeat will have edited out all Andy's scatergraphic comments so catch it right now on radio 4.

James e

Staff Edit: Audio file now on the news page

Listen on UKC:http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=12&year=2008#n45513
 'Hilda' 17 Dec 2008
In reply to James Edwards:

Ta
 Henry Iddon 17 Dec 2008

Blimey, Russell brand and Jonathon Ross are off air so they bring in Andy K

I think Libby was out of her depth there, either that or Andy didn't really tune in to the level that was required.

Alan
andy kirkpatrick 17 Dec 2008
I don't do frilly chat really...
 CurlyStevo 17 Dec 2008
Should be available here shortly also
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/midweek.shtml
 First Ascent 17 Dec 2008
In reply to andy kirkpatrick: Did you get the autograph for Nick?? or should he start cutting the webbing on the portaledge?
Jonno 17 Dec 2008

I wouldn't be able to get past Libby Purves I'm afraid. She's the personification of the tired,dated old institution that is Radio 4.
1950's style radio. Home Counties chattering classes discussing Greek Philosophers, Mini ISA's, Great Crested newts and worst of all. John Humphries believing that interviewing a politician consists of playing devil's advocate,ignoring the answer and repeating the question repeatedly but ratcheting up the shrill factor.
 GrahamD 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to James Edwards)
>
> ....consists of playing devil's advocate,ignoring the answer and repeating the question repeatedly but ratcheting up the shrill factor.

Sounds vaguely familiar

mike swann 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Jonno: Have you ever actually listened to radio 4?
 KeithW 17 Dec 2008

I had to grit my teeth to get through Libby Purves' simpering manner (which normally makes me want to burn my radio).

It was interesting, but I got the impression Andy was having to reign himself in. I much prefer his sweary flights of fancy and non sequiters.
 galpinos 17 Dec 2008
In reply to andy kirkpatrick:
> I don't do frilly chat really...

No mention of Rape Tape then?
 felixthelion 17 Dec 2008

1. Has anyone ever told you it’s rude to interrupt?

2. Your answer to ‘Can you explain what it is you get from a hard climb?’

‘Err nothing at all really… It makes me appreciate grass, bread and a glass of water’

Something I might expect Chris Sharma to say.

I thought you might say something like 'climbing nourishes my soul'. It nourishes mine

3. Don’t go on about dyslexia so much.

4. Because I have given you such useful feedback can I have a copy of your book? Im really broke.

Ta
 Monk 17 Dec 2008

If anyone wants to listen it is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00fzw3h and starts at 23.18 unless you want to hear them twittering on about robins etc.
 Monk 17 Dec 2008

I've just listened to this and really enjoyed it. I thought it came across well and there were some great one liners in there.
 Richard Hall 17 Dec 2008
In reply to andy kirkpatrick: Well done Andy, shame she didn't want to let you talk about climbing much though. Hope you sell loads of books off the back of it.
The problem with the danger and death jokes is that climbers get them, and Radio4 interviewer types don't. They think all climbers everywhere risk their lives as soon as they step off the ground hence they lack the ability to differentiate between the different levels of danger in climbing/mountaineering.

When Andy said his bit about it taking you 28 seconds to hit the ground if you fell off, they probably thought that this event had a distinct possibility of happening at any moment. In actual fact it would only ever happen if he had untied from the system or managed to strip every piece of gear including te belay or something pretty catastrophic like that.

From Andy's point of view I can see how getting the subtlties of the different levels of danger completely impossible in a 5 minute radio interview with someone who hasn't got a clue.

Alan
andy kirkpatrick 17 Dec 2008

Just did one on Radio world service which was much longer and far more relaxed (not sure when it's going out though?).

As for dislexia bit...yes I do go on about it, but it has a big effect on my life, the life of my kids, and the lives of many parents, and primerily what I have to say is very posative - as in don't let anyone tell you that this is a problem - it;s the best thing that can ever happen to you.

Also you have to rember that the majority of people who listened to that have never heard of me, and will hear from me again!

A
 JLS 17 Dec 2008

>"posative"

Positive Andy, positive with an I. Jeez...
 Monk 17 Dec 2008

Contrary to the previous poster I thought your comments on dyslexia were very interesting and didn't think you 'went on about it' too much at all.

(look at me, I am starting to sound like a groupie!)
morphus 17 Dec 2008
>
> Just did one on Radio world service which was much longer and far more relaxed (not sure when it's going out though?).
>
you've missed it- was on at 03:05
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/outlook/index.shtml

listen again..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/worldservice/meta/tx/outlook_wed?n...

fishy1 17 Dec 2008

Trully painful to listen to. Terrible jokes, and it didn't seem like he understood it at all.
morphus 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
>
> I think Libby was out of her depth there

much better interviewer on the world service link.. (16min+)

marsbar 17 Dec 2008
In reply to andy kirkpatrick: I am pleased you have got positive things to say about your dyslexia, I work with young people and quite a few of them have it, it is good to be able to say to them that it is has a positive side.
 felixthelion 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Monk:

I didn't say it wasn't interesting. I think he (AK) got a bit muddled in his explanation and the 99% thing was confusing. It is not my intention to enter into an exchange about dyslexia so i shall leave it there.

Well done on the interview MR K. I do think your funny (mostly), and quite inspiring (mostly)

Silum 17 Dec 2008

haham, that was great. Laughing the whole time!
 The Bantam 17 Dec 2008

Lysdexia doesn't get the support or help it needs - it is still taken as another way of saying "well, he's a bit thick really". Anything that kicks away the pre-conceptions in others, and boosts the self-confidence of suffers is a good things. "Hey, that wierd climber guy with the funny accent is dyslexic too but he seem to have achieved stuff...".
In reply to The Bantam:
> Lysdexia doesn't get the support or help it needs - it is still taken as another way of saying "well, he's a bit thick really". Anything that kicks away the pre-conceptions in others, and boosts the self-confidence of suffers is a good things. "Hey, that wierd climber guy with the funny accent is dyslexic too but he seem to have achieved stuff...".

I think this is a slightly out-dated view now, certainly in decent schools. Dyslexia is taken very seriously at all levels nowadays and kids get plenty of support.

Alan
 Richard Hall 17 Dec 2008
In reply to morphus: Thanks, listening now.
OP James Edwards 17 Dec 2008

Ok, as i started this thread i feel i'm allowed to go of on a slight tangent.
Well, the problem with the Dyslexia thing is that it is many things that are lumped together and labled dyslexia and you could call it a spectrum but a 3d plot scatter graph would be more apt.
The term has also been hijacked slighlty by certain eliments of society as well to explain why little jonny/ jenny won't be getting into oxbridge like their parents did.
In my professional opinion (i'm an ex primary, secondary science and special needs teacher) dyslexia is actually taken TOO seriously by some institutions and in some cercumstances the labled kids kick back and coast through their education as a result and do badly. They can have all this world of support and understanding around them which suddenly disapears when they leave school / college or what ever and go into the world and we aren't doing them too many faviours if we don't address the wider picture before hand.

Man i feel like i'm back in the staff room again.

James e

gingerdave13 17 Dec 2008
In reply to felixthelion: i think he came accross a lot better in the world service one - but then he had more time to discuss things and was let alone to talk in the way he does rather than interruptions al la Radio 2.

I'm not sure about buying the book at the mo - times is tight pre-xmas, but did see his lecture (in kings lynn of all places) and was impressed by the style and content.
 James Oswald 17 Dec 2008
I'm listening to it now on radio 4 site.
How far into the programme does Andy speak at?
James
 gingerdave13 17 Dec 2008
In reply to james oswald: if you follow the link to the UKC news site you'll get just the snipped of AK on Radio4

wheras the world service is about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through the programme (and much more worthwile to listen to)
 James Oswald 17 Dec 2008
In reply to gingerdave13:
Found it thanks!
 James Oswald 17 Dec 2008
There's no such thing as a ridiculous and pointless cliff!!
:P
 Richard Hall 17 Dec 2008
In reply to andy kirkpatrick: The world service interview was much better. You were actually given some time to speak. Well done.
 James Oswald 17 Dec 2008
Which are they referring to as the hardest rock route in the world?
 John2 17 Dec 2008
In reply to James Edwards: " would have thought that the evening repeat will have edited out all Andy's scatergraphic comments"

I've just listened to the excerpt from Midweek linked to from the UKC news item and there was nothing remotely scatological in it. Am I to assume that this excerpt was edited? It all seemed to go very well to me, with both parties attempting to keep the conversation reasonably light.
 The Bantam 17 Dec 2008
> (In reply to The Bantam)
> [...]
>
> I think this is a slightly out-dated view now, certainly in decent schools. Dyslexia is taken very seriously at all levels nowadays and kids get plenty of support.
>
> Alan

I don't think it is. There is certainly more awareness of the condition, and indeed there has been in the last few years a nasty habit of 'labelling' kids as James Edwards points out below - although I would agrue that this itself is a little outdated - there is an increasing reluctance among Education Psychologists to label conditions as it can bring about the stigma I mentioned above. You can help support kids with their problems just as easily without putting a name on it that with doing so.

Even so, the support is often pretty limited, and focused around a few easy win areas rather than giving the skills to help in life. THis is without the problem that once you have left the education system you are on your own - if you can't spell, you can't spell, and an employers doesn't really care why.

But as noted, we digest...

practicalcat 17 Dec 2008
Listened to both and the world service interview is far more interesting as he is given more time to talk.
petejh 17 Dec 2008
In reply to The Bantam: D'ya hear about the dyslexic pimp?

He bought a warehouse.
morphus 17 Dec 2008
In reply to practicalcat: world service is the best radio broadcast on the planet!!
 fishy1 17 Dec 2008
In reply to James Edwards: The second interview was much better.

"If you have to step over a dead body, it's a walk."

Made me laugh for some reason, maybe it's your voice.
 Yanis Nayu 17 Dec 2008
In reply to James Edwards: I have yet to listen to the broadcast, but I've seen one of AK's talks and read his book. He's very, very funny. I was expecting someone who was funny for a mountaineer, but if he'd been billed as a comedian I wouldn't have been disappointed.

On reading his book, it's clear that dyslexia has been a massive hurdle for him to overcome. I found the bit about him writing his first piece for a climbing magazine incredibly inspiring.

And hey, it's his life; if he wants to "go on about it" it's up to him.
 jcharles 17 Dec 2008

"It's an act of worship to climb a mountain"

So nicely put.
 Dave Garnett 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Jonno:
>
>Home Counties chattering classes discussing Greek Philosophers, Mini ISA's, Great Crested newts

Actually that's exactly what I like about it. Probably dangerously fact-based for you though Jonno.

That said, Midweek is a bit of a low point. Too self-consciously middle-brow and not the most comfortable place for Andy, nothwithstanding the book-plugging.
 KeithW 17 Dec 2008
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Actually that's exactly what I like about it. Probably dangerously fact-based for you though Jonno.

<grin>

There's always some little gem when you're not expecting it - I learnt a couple of things about robins, this morning, while waiting for Andy to come on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...