UKC

PHOTO ARTICLE: The Llanberis Slate Quarries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 19 Dec 2008
Mark Reeves is a photographer, climbing instructor, writer and film maker. Here he shows some of his excellent images of the Llanberis Slate Quarries.

Mark's images concentrate not only on the climbing, but capture the dark beauty of these abandoned holes.

PHOTO ARTICLE: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1543
 Simon 19 Dec 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Very good - love the rainbow shots - lovely

Si
 john howard 1 19 Dec 2008
Beautiful photos Mark, can't wait to visit the slate quarries some day.Keep up the good work with all the info on your blog(s) too, it's all really relevant and helpful stuff, so thanks for sharing your knowledge.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Dec 2008

Very tasty.

Chris
 The Pylon King 19 Dec 2008
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 20 Dec 2008
In reply to Simon:

Thanks Simon,

I am glad you like the more abstract stuff.
In reply to john howard 1: John, Glad you enjoyed the photos and the blog.
 Simon 20 Dec 2008
In reply to mark reeves:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> Thanks Simon,
>
> I am glad you like the more abstract stuff.

I like the climbing shots too! - but the art of getting good abstract even in the stunning quarries is just that - an art! More of your work please!

Si
 PontiusPirate 20 Dec 2008
In reply to mark reeves:

Some great work there Mark.

The slate quarries just seem to be one big art installation... a rather large portion of my Flickr gallery is made up of shots from the quarries! I've still got an awful lot of places to explore and photograph... I almost like photographing the place more than the climbing!

PP.

OP Jack Geldard 20 Dec 2008
In reply to mark reeves: Nice photos Mark - thanks!

Jack
 David Hooper 20 Dec 2008

Great evocative photos - makes me miss my old cottage up at Allt Ddu
 Mick Ward 20 Dec 2008

Yes, as David says, wonderfully evocative. Is there a hiraeth-type word for 'a longing for Welsh slate'?

Particularly loved the first Rainbow shot - you really brought out the power of this unique rock architecture.

And those discarded boots. Oh, if only they could talk, what tales of hardship (and maybe sporadic joy?) they could tell...

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward: I have to say I have that first rainbow shot in portrait as well. It one of those things I have seen over the years, when climbing there, as the shadows bring out the immense ripple. I really like the slab without the clutter of any climbers on it.

I am really glad that people seem to be appreciating the more abstract images as well.

David Hooper 20 Dec 2008
 James Oswald 20 Dec 2008
Lovely photos. I want to go.

Terrific - thanks.

jcm
 fimm 20 Dec 2008

That's a great collection of photos - thank you.
(And I like the route name "Where are my sensible shoes?")
 Andy S 21 Dec 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Excellent photo set
In reply to mark reeves:

Nice stuff Mark, captures the slate vibe in its essence...

Some quality pics there

Jamie
 purple sue 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Superb collection; brings the place to life...
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Thanks for everyone's kind words.

As a Christmas present to you all I have put a film I made several years ago online, Between the Rain feature seven short films and some extras. I will hopefully get another of my films online for new year, as I have reached my upload limit for the week on vimeo.

The film can be seen on my blog, which is linked in this article.

Anyway I hope you enjoy, have a great christmas and play nice!

David Peters 24 Dec 2008
In reply to mark reeves: A great collection ! you even managed to achieve the impossible (making Llanberis look attractive )
 Rachael Barlow 03 Jan 2009

Never tire of the quarries,
some beautiful pics Mark x
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 03 Jan 2009
In reply to Rachael Barlow: Happy New Rach! How was wink murder? Did you catch the piccies of you?
philip king 04 Jan 2009
In reply to mark reeves:
Nice pictures!

Can I ask why "The Gorbals E4 6a" gets an E grade when its a bolted route? Or is it mix?

Sorry if this is ignorance on my part but a question isn't stupid if you don't know the answer.
 Justin T 04 Jan 2009
In reply to philip king:

Because it's not the use of bolts per se that makes a route a sport route. I don't know this route in particular but it's probably either going to be mixed gear or 'spicily' bolted (ie the bolts are there but you need a trad mentality to do the route).
 Alun 04 Jan 2009
In reply to philip king:
> Can I ask why "The Gorbals E4 6a" gets an E grade when its a bolted route? Or is it mix?

There are many many slate routes which are 'sportingly' bolted - it's one of the things that makes climbing there so unique. Usually such routes are given a trad grade, as they require a trad mentality, and can not be worked in the same way as a sport route. However there are also plenty of well-bolted sport routes, which are given a sport grade. The system seems to work.

If you want to know more of the history of this then do a search of the forums (it's been covered many times before).

Lovely photos Mark, I really do miss the slate.
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 04 Jan 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: After reading all the nice comments on the photos, and a friends asking why I didn't try and sell some of my photos online I looked at various option and decide for an ebay sale of a few images to start with. I am not allow to link to the sale however there is a link up on my blog that is link to on the article.

Hopefully I am not asking too much?

I might start putting images in the FS/wanted section as I am asking under well under £100 for each one.

I
philip king 04 Jan 2009
In reply to Alun:
Many thanks for that Alun.

It does beg the question why bolt something "sportingly", but I'll have a dig around this site for the answer before we get too off topic.
 Jon Ratcliffe 05 Jan 2009
In reply to philip king: i said i would never post again unless using my real name but changing user name is an arse..anyways..
Below is the info from the wiki but firstly in answer to your question; people bolt things sportingly for two reasons. 1. Because they don't want to or can't afford to spend money on bolts(mainly back in the 80's and 90's). 2. To make the route a little more exciting with more of a run out trad feel to it despite the bolts. This was taken to the extreme in the quarries particularly on the Rainbow slab.
'Gorbals E4. New bolts the first bolt was lowered and the RURP replaced with a higher bolt, another bolt was added below as the rock is friable, and although there is gear it is all behind loose flakes, another bolt may well be added to the start because the gear was poorer than initialy thought when it was re-equipped and Lower off. 10/06'
Lovely photo's by the way Mark, seems like alot of folk have enjoyed them too. nice one. Jon Ratcliffe
 NickD 05 Jan 2009
Amazing photos Mark - I love the wide-angle lens!
 magpie 05 Jan 2009
Fab photos, I love the quarries, sadly no matter how many shots I take of them they never seem to turn out like yours!
 MjrTom 05 Jan 2009

Great photos as usual

No pictures of the lost world /mordor?

I still have quite a few photos from new slate routing that you did back in late 90s
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 05 Jan 2009
In reply to MjrTom & Magpie: Hi Mark Send any images that are good to Si Panton at ground up we are short of Mordor/lost world images! Was a few years ago now I was up there new routing! There were a couple of images from that area, but more abstract!

Magpie I am glad you enjoyed the photos

Mark
 trys 15 Jan 2009
In reply to mark reeves:

hey fella, some absolutely cracking shots, i'm well impressed. i'll be back home all summer - we should get back onto two bolts...
 James Oswald 15 Jan 2009
Great photos. Makes me really want to go.
Also Adam Hocking looks like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer!
James
In reply to mark reeves: superb photos. It's impressive how the colours look so brilliant against the blue-grey stone and the dark shadows. Much better than hackneyed grainy black and white images.
Removed User 17 Jan 2009

just brought back some memories there. Love the shot of the chalk line going up "Comes the Dervish", actually preferred "Last Tango in Paris" to the right.

Also the crux of "Bella Lugosi is Dead". The fist time I did it I didn't have any cams. It made it a tad more interesting!

Should be a photo of the "California Arete" in there. Part of the lore.
watto 11 Feb 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Fantastic pics. Amazing what you miss just driving through!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...