UKC

NEWS: Stevie Haston 8c+ at 52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 19 Dec 2008
"Rob's just been in the shop singing the praises of his father-in-law the infamous Stevie Haston. It seems that Stevie did his first 8c+ yesterday, a route called "descent en enfer" at the Grotte de Sabart in Ariege. So as Stevie's part sponsored by V12 (He gets free coffee and anything else his oth...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=12&year=2008#n45521
 martin heywood 19 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

That really is IMPRESSIVE.(So more more than if it was the latest wonderkid.)

Congratulations.
Removed User 19 Dec 2008

Brilliant! It is good to see him back in the news with such a bang, he seemed to have disappeared off the radar for a while. Good stuff, no more excuses from us about being to old any more then.

Stuart
 James Moyle 19 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserMick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
Good stuff, no more excuses from us about being to old any more then.
>
Good Stuff - it is a travesty! I've been looking forward to being old to have a decent excuse and it's been robbed. With the likes of manolo, Rab Carrington, and other luminaries climbing hard into their 50s and beyond. I'm going to have to find something else to explain my inabilities.
 TPLUVSU 19 Dec 2008
In reply to James Moyle: lOVE THE FACT THAT I CAN ONLY GET BETTER AS A LATE STARTER TO THIS GAME ITS GOOD TO KNOW IT HAS NO LIMITS
 twigulus 19 Dec 2008
In reply to TPLUVSU: HOW NICE FOR YOU. eesh
 UKB Shark 19 Dec 2008
In reply to James Moyle: to have to find something else to explain my inabilities

Howabout not being old enough to climb hard routes ?

Henry L Buckle 19 Dec 2008
This looks like a good place to link to....

...this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=926
 Ron Walker 19 Dec 2008

Well impressed but he's only 51 BTW or else I'm more senile than I thought...!

I can't use the excuse of being too old now though...

Cheers Ron
 Mick Ward 19 Dec 2008

I remember a skinny youth turning up at the Bradford wall in autumn 1976. Even then, it was obvious that he was something special... but just how special we had no way of knowing.

Brilliant effort Stevie! Fight the good fight - always. Love to L.

All best wishes,

Mick
In reply to martin heywood:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> That really is IMPRESSIVE.(So more more than if it was the latest wonderkid.)
>
>
> Congratulations.

That should read "much more" not "more more"
 UKB Shark 19 Dec 2008
In reply to martin heywood: more than if it was the latest wonderkid

Get with the programme Martin - old is the new young
In reply to Simon Lee:
> (In reply to martin heywood) more than if it was the latest wonderkid
>
>
> Get with the programme Martin - old is the new young

Oh Bollocks, I am going to have to start performing then.
 racodemisa 20 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Awesome achievement from a truely original climber.Back in history his displays of power at Sobell climbing wall in london were visionary.Some of his dynos i bet are still unrepeated.No mats,bouncy people with good knees should only apply.
 Fraser 20 Dec 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

> Get with the programme Martin - old is the new young

So....does that mean young is the old old? *confused-dot-com*

paul mitchell 20 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: You oldies should chill out and get fat.Pointless trying to compete with Mr Haston.
 Al Evans 20 Dec 2008
In reply to paul mitchell: Hi Paul, come and stay anytime.
Al
broughton power 20 Dec 2008
awesome whats next 9a?
 Mick Ward 20 Dec 2008
In reply to broughton power:

Very probably.

Mick
 GrahamD 22 Dec 2008

Impressive. I wonder why he never got to this level when he was at his strongest ?
 UKB Shark 22 Dec 2008
In reply to GrahamD:

I would like Haston's take on this. You assume he is not now at his strongest but strength gains are still possible until you are 60 and its strength to weight that counts and he may have dieted to a weight lower than before. He did climb an 8c some years ago but IIRC then lost interest in sport climbing especially the training and dieting sacrifices required. But clearly he must have reapplied himself again - maybe the realisation of time running out stimulating the extra motivation. Of course getting up routes at any level isn't just about strength though it is particularly important on ludicrously overhanging limestone.

There is a general rising tide that lifts all boats effect or peer pressure if you like that removes some self imposed psychologiocal barriers of what is possible through application. Training techniques have also improved. Hearing grey power achievements like Haston's (or Rab, Keith and Al Austin) has that effect on the rest of us. Great innit.
 duncan 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Simon Lee:

From the great man himself, over on UKB:

"Since meeting [Alex] Chabot and some other fit people I got the bug (again) and decided I didnt want to be the big fat strong guy working easy 8s. So 20 lbs of lipo-suction later I am a bit better..."
 seagull 22 Dec 2008
In reply to duncan:

Knew Stevie had been training hard but didn't realise how hard! This is a stunning achievement.
 Mick Ward 22 Dec 2008
In reply to GrahamD:

> Impressive. I wonder why he never got to this level when he was at his strongest ?

Well he wasn't that far short of it. (And, as Simon suggests, he may well be at his strongest now.) But a few years ago, Stevie was heavily into ice climbing, really pushing the boundaries. And he's always had a penchant for scary trad. And hard-core Alpinism... More recently, he took up caving and reached a high standard very quickly.

Stevie pushes himself hard, very hard indeed. A few weeks ago he climbed a F8c. He was self-effacing about it - but clearly it was just a warm-up!

Mick
 UKB Shark 22 Dec 2008
In reply to seagull: This is a stunning achievement

I think so but I wonder if he does ?

To follow on from his poser on his UKB thread "British standards -Shit or not shit?" - Is it stunning or does it appear stunning because in the UK most of us are just not psyched/organised enough to try/train hard enough ??!!!!
 James Oswald 22 Dec 2008
An awesome achievement made even better by his age.

I must look out an awesome rant about bolts by Stevie from a mag of about 1985.

Any bets on 9a?

jcm
 GrahamD 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ward:

I was probably judgeing 'his strongest' by his magazine articles which was obviously a mistake !
 Mick Ward 22 Dec 2008
In reply to GrahamD:

You're forgiven! I think the thing is that none of us knows what this guy was (and is) capable of. Maybe he doesn't either. Maybe that's his quest...

What's fascinating is how Stevie's wife, Laurence, saw this astounding talent and got him to focus it.

Behind every great man there's a women with an electric cattle prod.

Mick
 James Oswald 22 Dec 2008
Oldest person to climb 8c+?
 Mick Ward 22 Dec 2008
In reply to james oswald:

Hmm... Manolo? And F9a??

Mick
OP Michael Ryan 22 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ward:

Ya

Jan 22: 48 year old Maurizio "Manolo" Zanolla climbs 9a/+

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=1&year=2008#n42257
 Wry Gob 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Mick Ward:

Total inspiration, well done Sir. Hopefully this means he'll get back on the podium and give us the entertainment we miss so badly!
Removed User 02 Jan 2009

Well done Stevie, I was wondering what you'd been up to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...