UKC

The good old Catholic Church...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 23 Dec 2008

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7796663.stm

Difficult to change their spots.
In reply to Removed User: Although Pope Ratslinger did say some positive things about Galileo at the weekend; those spots have been changed. So give it another 400 years...

T.
 French Erick 23 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User:
Particularly like the rhetoric:

Being gay's fine as long as you don't do gay things... all about platonic love and that, like anybody else then.

And what about the long exterior and interior path thingy... sounds like he copied some one liners from Janis Joplin or Kerouac to me.

I am unashamedly a lapsed religious person and a lapsed catholic, and this type of discourse will do nothing short of making hate the institutions even more.

Catholicism has not managed to get a hold on Europe for so long without using dictatorship techniques. There have been a few attempts at doing things differently, some managed to get themselves roasted (cathares) and others seemed well under way into making a go at it until they got caught up by Institutionalism which is my view on Protestantism when I discuss it with fellow Atheists.

Now again, each to his/her own. Or more to the point each to his/her Dogma.
Mine is that it Has to be white to use spikes
 JDDD 23 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User: He does have a point though. I mean people have only been gay in the last 30 years so clearly the church is in great moral threat.
Soren Lorenson 23 Dec 2008

He needs to be a bit careful, a good purge on homosexuals will leave him with a few less priests.
 Nevis-the-cat 23 Dec 2008

Would you let a 9 year old fix the engines on your holiday jet?

so why would you take life advice from an unmarried octagenarian virgin?
 Nevis-the-cat 23 Dec 2008
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

not aimed at Bobt btw
 Clarence 23 Dec 2008

I am a bit puzzled by this one, a friend in Italy has said that the Pope has not mentioned homosexuality at all and that the furore is about gender reassignment surgery. I wonder if there is an official translation somewhere. Spoiled all my carefully prepared jokes that did...
 Mike Stretford 23 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User: All the Abrahamic religions are down on homosexuality. I can't understand why people expect these very dated belief systems to smoothly align themselves with modern western secular attitudes. If they started to do that they would loose what power they do have.
trevor simpson 23 Dec 2008

Surely the best way to save the planet is to keep the population down?

Accodring to my figures, compulsory homosexuality for about 30% of people would work best.

If we could convince them it was god's will, this would also weed out the least intelligent from the gene pool

psd 23 Dec 2008
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:
> (In reply to Bobt)
>
> Would you let a 9 year old fix the engines on your holiday jet?
>
> so why would you take life advice from an unmarried octagenarian virgin?

False analogy. At least the nine year-old is likely to enter into the task with an open mind and admit that she might have made things worse afterwards.
Removed User 23 Dec 2008
In reply to trevor simpson:

:oD
 Bulls Crack 23 Dec 2008
In reply to trevor simpson:

Or maybe even letting Catholics use condoms
 winhill 23 Dec 2008

Surely this is just Displacement? Sounds like the old boy is gagging for a hot stiff cock.
 Yanis Nayu 23 Dec 2008
In reply to winhill: That made me laugh! How do you know he's not getting it?
 Postmanpat 23 Dec 2008
In reply to wayno265:
> (In reply to winhill) That made me laugh! How do you know he's not getting it?

Let me guess.You think Jonathan Ross is cutting edge comedy?
Merry Christmas

Yanis Nayu 23 Dec 2008
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to wayno265)
> [...]
>
>
> Merry Christmas

Right back atcha!

Ian Black 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Removed User: Whats your point? Is homosexuality not an unnatural act?
 Postmanpat 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Ian Black:
It seems to me that there are two points here
1) For some people homosexuality is not an "unnatural" act.

2)Of all the subjects that a Pope could choose to raise at Christmas in a year of such momentous change this one seems spectacularly irrelevant.(assuming he has been reported accurately)
 Jim Fraser 24 Dec 2008

The catholic church? What a bunch of freaks!

Frocks, no women, shagging little boys, gay priests, ex-Nazi Pope, ...

Pot ... kettle ... black?

Glass houses ... stones?

The man is an idiot.
 Postmanpat 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Jim Fraser:
> (In reply to Bobt)
>
>
> Frocks, no women, shagging little boys, gay priests, ex-Nazi Pope, ...
>
>
> Pot ... kettle ... black?
>
> Glass houses ... stones?
>
Havn't you rather missed the point? Isn't that the reason he is condemning it ?

Mike Stretford 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Scotsmen? What a bunch of freaks!

Frocks, Buckfast swigging, fried mars bar eating, secterian biggots...

ect ect

(wandering whether to add a smiley but I'm sure you get the idea)
 Jim Fraser 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Postmanpat:

What point?

Are you saying that huge swathes of humanity need to be demonised because the god squad need to clean up their own act?

Bigots always muddle matters of sexuality and gender and tend to carry the ignorant with them. I think that is one of the things that is happening in this case.

At one extreme of that muddle there have been paedophiles in the priesthood taking advantage of their privileged position and at the other extreme there are intersexed persons whose existence blurs the widely-assumed clarity of human gender. The former need to be punished, and latter, like so many on a vaste spectrum in between, deserve an ordinary level of respect and care.
 Jim Fraser 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to Jim Fraser)
>
> Scotsmen? What a bunch of freaks!
>
> Frocks, Buckfast swigging, fried mars bar eating, secterian biggots...
>
> ect ect
>
> (wandering whether to add a smiley but I'm sure you get the idea)

Negotiations to sell Glasgow to the Americans have broken down due to the Madoff affair and recessionary pressures.
 Postmanpat 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Jim Fraser:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
>
> What point?
>
That he is giving a message to his own priesthood and the Catholic faithful that the priesthoods previous acts will not be tolerated.Just a thought.

> Are you saying that huge swathes of humanity need to be demonised because the god squad need to clean up their own act?
>
Well,see my previous post ,clearly not.

gingerkate 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Postmanpat:
> [...]
> That he is giving a message to his own priesthood and the Catholic faithful that the priesthoods previous acts will not be tolerated.Just a thought.

Wouldn't it be clearer to just say, "child abuse will no longer be tolerated" if that's his covert message?

Looking on the bright side, it must be a liberating experience for lots of ex-Catholics ... any lingering doubt evaporating, as the world leader proves himself a complete and utter imbecile.
 deepsoup 24 Dec 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
Besides which, if that were his covert message, linking homosexuality to child abuse would be pretty offensive (and inaccurate) in its own right.

Perhaps the Pope is responding to looney evangelist Pat Robertson's criticism of him a few months ago, as reported in the Daily Mash:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/televangelist-challenges-p...
 Postmanpat 24 Dec 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
> [...]
>
> Wouldn't it be clearer to just say, "child abuse will no longer be tolerated" if that's his covert message?
>
Yup.
 Pekkie 24 Dec 2008

I think you people are being jolly unfair to the Catholic Church! I mean, Tony Blair, our ex prime minister has recently joined.....

I'll get my coat.
 gingerkate 24 Dec 2008
In reply to deepsoup:
Yes that's true.

B has just pointed out to me that the pope is a very old man, so I suppose I was being a bit harsh, but for someone with such extensive influence to target a section of humanity that is already picked on and vilified in many countries of the world is so frustrating.
 winhill 24 Dec 2008
In reply to Postmanpat:
> [...]
> That he is giving a message to his own priesthood and the Catholic faithful that the priesthoods previous acts will not be tolerated.Just a thought.

No it's much more than that.

He is saying that other people's immoral acts affect the rest of society.

This is very different from the traditional western liberal view of morality that people should do their own thing so long as it doesn't impact on anyone else.

From this religious point of view immorality impacts humanity as a whole and not preventing it may stop religious people from pleasing God.

This is arguing the case for stopping immorality per se, rather than the immediate results of the immoral acts.

It is an argument for theocracy. Dispicable all the same.
 Yanis Nayu 24 Dec 2008
In reply to gingerkate: As ever, oh wise ginger one, you are right. Merry Christmas!
Ian Black 26 Dec 2008
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> At one extreme of that muddle there have been paedophiles in the priesthood taking advantage of their privileged position

I don't think this is just a problem within the Catholic Church. Boys brigade leaders, Scout masters, Teachers, Foster parents, and the list goes on. All these types have been found to be abusing their position and subjecting children to horrific abuse. It does seem to attract more publicity when a member of the clergy is involved.

KeithW 26 Dec 2008
In reply to Ian Black:

No, I'm not having that.

There are always individuals who abuse their access to children. They should be caught and punished whenever it comes to light. My experience was in the Scout Association; I know of only one case in the 14 years I was a leader and it was dealt with promptly and very seriously.

But the church has a long, disgusting record of covering up and protecting abusers, and in the worst cases allowing them to continue their abuse long after their seniors found out.

And also consider the facilitating effect of indoctrinating children in the belief that they are inherently 'sinful'; and I think it is a problem for the Catholic Church.
Ian Black 26 Dec 2008
In reply to KeithW:
> (In reply to Ian Black)
>
> No, I'm not having that.

I can assure you folk in these organisations have been abusing their position for decades. The reason why some of them want to work with minors, is to fuel their own perversions. I agree it does seem to be rife within the Catholic church, but its by no means exclusive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...