UKC

NEW REVIEW: The Sharp End DVD from Sender Films

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 23 Dec 2008
UKC Editor Jack Geldard reviews The Sharp End, the new DVD from Sender Films.

"Simply one of the best climbing films ever made!"

That's a thumbs up then!

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1547
 CragX Shop 24 Dec 2008
In reply to UKC Gear: Good review Jack. For some reason Sharp End seems to have been largely overlooked by UK climbers but I thought it was th best of this year's films.
Iain
 Jack Geldard 24 Dec 2008
In reply to CragX Shop: Yes, I was impressed. I loved it. Usually I don't watch climbing films, seeing as though I read and write about climbing all day.

Perhaps the reason I liked it so much is because it didn't have any UK climbing in it - so it all felt very fresh? I don't know. I do know it's been a super year for climbing films, what with this, On Sight and all the others.

Groovy. I might watch it again this afternoon!

Jack
 bendurance 29 Dec 2008
I also thought that this was one of the best climbing films Ive seen, with absolutely stunning footage.

I watched this just after watching Onsight (now my all-time favourite) and found the contrasting styles very interesting.

The sharp end has a lot more hype (without detracting too much from the overall experience), whereas Onsight upheld the 'understated' best of british. I also noticed (probably as a direct result from watching onsight first) that the style of ascents in the sharp end wasnt always made clear and therefore I wasnt sure just how hard the hard trad routes were in comparison. That said given team america's recent activity in the UK perhaps it is fair to assume most were probably done ground-up?

Overall I think that Onsight excelled at portraying the subject matter, whereas The Sharp End, despite all the amazing footage, tried but didnt quite manage to get to the route of what motivates people to take climbing and risk taking to such an extreme level. What did come across was the progression that people like Dean Potter had made into the extreme, perhaps suggesting that it is more about physical addiction rather than conscious decision-making.

James Oswald 29 Dec 2008
In reply to UKC Gear:
Anyone got any idea how hard that big sandstone arete is in Czech?
A good climbing film if a little short IMO.
 MorganPreece 30 Dec 2008
In reply to james oswald: He says it near to a 90ft fall, so fricking big i guess!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...