UKC

"The 39 steps" (on iplayer)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martin s 29 Dec 2008
Just watched the above on pc/Iplayer.

Does anyone know where it was film at all (One presumes it was scotland somewhere, but where exactly ??????)
Nick Ward 30 Dec 2008
In reply to martin s:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1282016/locations

Agree totally with the review on there...
 James Oswald 30 Dec 2008
In reply to martin s:
Brilliant isn't it!!
grynneman 30 Dec 2008
In reply to martin s:

According to the book, it should been a coastal town in Kent.
One day they will get it right.

When Buchan was writing the book, he was staying at a convalescent home in Broadstairs, which had 39 steps from the garden to the beach. When the wooden steps were removed and replaced with concrete, a portion of the original was sent to Buchan, with a small plaque.
 DNS 30 Dec 2008
In reply to martin s:

The scenery did a better job than the cast or director, so at least you're asking the right question.
johnSD 30 Dec 2008
In reply to martin s:

The outdoor shots of "london" at the beginning were around Register House in Edinburgh
 victorclimber 30 Dec 2008
In reply to martin s: why dont they be true to the book,one of the best adventure stories told,and why do we have to have a love interest !!!!
OP martin s 30 Dec 2008
In reply to johnSD: Thanks people. I saw two places I thought I recognised, both around loch Tay . . . . .but obviously not there at all ??????

"Ill get me coat"
 Al Evans 30 Dec 2008
In reply to grynneman:
> (In reply to martin s)
>
> According to the book, it should been a coastal town in Kent.
> One day they will get it right.
>
> When Buchan was writing the book, he was staying at a convalescent home in Broadstairs,

Yeh but the scenery would have been a lot more boring if they had filmed it in Broadstairs
Jason123 30 Dec 2008
In reply to martin s:

I thought it was Callander????
 Andy Hudson 30 Dec 2008
In reply to grynneman:
> (In reply to martin s)
>
> According to the book, it should been a coastal town in Kent.
>

And Scudder should have been stabbed and found after Hannay returns to his flat not shot while Hannay was there

toad 30 Dec 2008
In reply to martin s: In fairness, this is a book that has been constantly messed arround with for the film. Sometimes he's handcuffed to the woman, sometimes she's a suffragette/spy. Hmm. I just choked on my own credulousness typing that. I actually thought it was not a bad film, but I guess the BBC added contemporary bits at the same time as removing the overt and offensive racism. Times change.
thebigdon 30 Dec 2008
In reply to martin s: one of my brothers was an extra in it!! but i much prefer the old versions,

the black and white own with sid james as the lorry driver
 Will Hunt 02 Jan 2009
It seems there's a lot of pissing and moaning going on about differences between the show and the book. Ive not read the book but this argument is generally fairly tedious. I believe its called an artistic license? So what if its not filmed in exactly the same location as the book was set?
Either way I thought the show was pretty shit and am sure the book is better, not necessarily due to location.
feepole 05 Jan 2009
In reply to martin s:

Man it was poor - one of the worst bits of Xmas fluff I saw through the festive period (ok, I don't watch that much telly!)

On a pendantic jock note - it was hilarious that he jumped off the train somewhere in teh Scottish borders but somehow ended up walking all the way to Argyle - now that's hill-fit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...