UKC

Children friendly walls (ages 5 - 9)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rioja7c 30 Dec 2008
Based in South Lakes. We would like to train on local climbing walls weekends but generally have to have our children with us. Can anyone suggest a child-friendly climbing wall? We are finding it difficult.
broughton power 30 Dec 2008
In reply to rioja7c: what about kendal? not sure of child policy
 Ian Dunn 30 Dec 2008
In reply to rioja7c: Climb Rochdale is child friendly. We allow children of all ages as long as they are well supervised by parents / guardian.

We have walls that even the youngest will be able to enjoy and we actively encourage children.

It may be a bit far about 1 and quarter hours from Kendal but you would certainly be welcome.

Ian Dunn
In reply to Ian Dunn: Seconded. We regularly take our sproglet to Rochdale. We ring in advance to find quiet periods and always find childrens frames taken into account in the route/problem setting.
 Ben Tyrrell 30 Dec 2008
out of interest can we open this up wider than the initial geographical querry....
In reply to Ben Tyrrell: yes.
 jim jones 30 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Tyrrell: The most child friendly I've found up to now, is The Beacon, Waunfawr.
 charlieg0pzo 30 Dec 2008
In reply to broughton power: Which child-friendly walls in the UK can be recommended?
 ankyo 30 Dec 2008
In reply to broughton power: Rock City in Hull is child friendly. Frequently go there with my 6 year old and there is plenty for him to do and the staff have a good attitude to him.
janeth 31 Dec 2008
In reply to ankyo:

We recently took the kids (5&7) to the new(?) bouldering wall in Newcastle (byker)- a really good room upstairs for kids and lots other problems to have a go at. The staff were really good with the kids and generally v helpful. Our local wall is mainly toproping and i thought the kids would be disapointed but they enjoyed bouldering much more and we also got a pretty good session in as well. On a sunday lunchtime it was pretty quiete but they do have kids parties so it might be worth checking before you go.
 Keeg 31 Dec 2008
In reply to anyone:
Another vote for Rochdale, very child friendly bouldering room (don't know about routes) for young climbers and very young non-climbers.
Also The Works in Sheffield is very good with a dedicated childs climbing area and lots of space for non-climbing little 'uns.
 brieflyback 31 Dec 2008
In reply to rioja7c:
> Based in South Lakes. We would like to train on local climbing walls weekends but generally have to have our children with us. Can anyone suggest a child-friendly climbing wall? We are finding it difficult.

West View at Preston is excellent for kids. Loads of easy top-ropes - I've taken my five-year-olds there.
 FrJ 31 Dec 2008
In reply to rioja7c:

For Southerners: Craggy Island in Guildford. Plenty of routes at grade 3 and 4. Plenty of children around and no problem with spectators either.

I've also taken children to the Beacon Centre in N.Wales. which was fine, but not as well equipped.
 blondel 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Tyrrell:

Down in the uncharted wilderness of south west England, the Mill in South Molton is great with children. One of the best climbers there is 12 years old and no more than 5 feet tall: I've seen him lead a 6b with style and confidence, well within his grade.
pooh 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Tyrrell: As we are opening this up. Does anybody know the situation in Bristol (they are 7 and 9)
bri66 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Stew.G: 2 mins of paperwork and your in at Bristol,plenty of easy routes French 4 and up
pooh 31 Dec 2008
In reply to bri66: Cheers, is that at UCR or the new one?
 Ben Tyrrell 31 Dec 2008
In reply to FrJ:
> (In reply to rioja7c)
>
> For Southerners: Craggy Island in Guildford. Plenty of routes at grade 3 and 4. Plenty of children around and no problem with spectators either.
>

my local but they don't allow under 8's...
sachel 31 Dec 2008
In reply to rioja7c: west veiw in preston have just spent a few thousand on a new wall designed for children. easy routes and fun holds!
Bob kate bob 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Ben Tyrrell: Ok, a bit further afield but Mile End has no age limit as long as they are supervised.

http://www.mileendwall.org.uk/public/article/4
 Strife 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Stew.G: I'd recommend the new one (climbing academy).
 FrJ 01 Jan 2009
In reply to Ben Tyrrell:

Thansk. Not spotted that.
Their T&C indicate that there might be some sessions where it's over 5.
 Ben Tyrrell 01 Jan 2009
In reply to FrJ: just one if memory serves, early on a Sunday but then they have to stop climbing when the centre opens...
dcc 02 Jan 2009
In reply to rioja7c:

Durham Climbing Centre is suitable for ages 3+.

www.durhamclimbingcentre.co.uk
pooh 02 Jan 2009
In reply to Strife: do you know what their rules are on kids. As it would be perfect (it's half way on the walk between mine and the ex's)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...