UKC

kill it , cook it , eat it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Peakpdr 07 Jan 2009
has anyone been watching it ? its fantastic the differant views that people have on eating meat and the reactions that they have is very intresting
 irish paul 07 Jan 2009
In reply to pauldr: not seen it for a while but yeah peoples reaction are soo different. I saw the beef one and found the process intriguing. Also had details on veal production, made me want to try some!
chickenpox 07 Jan 2009
In reply to irish paul: I've seen the last two nights and this series is different, they are taking people out in scotland hunting wild animals, deer, duck, dunno what it is tonight, what else can you hunt in scotland?
OP Peakpdr 07 Jan 2009
In reply to chickenpox: its rabbit tonight ...
Sarah G 07 Jan 2009
In reply to chickenpox:
fish, lots of wildfowl, game birds, bunnies, hare, haggis...you name it, if it moves, it can be sought out and shot. And eaten. Anyone else heard of the NcNab?

I have dipped in and out of the programme while channel surfing, and all it did was make me hungry, and annoyed that some daft tart seemed to be trying to get honest meat eaters to come over all tree-huggy and guilty over hunting down and killing their own food. How mealy-mouthed. even some poor cow who hunts was got at and was forced into the defensive posture of "but I don't understand those who do" (I think she was on about shooting)somewhat missing the point and failing to point out that it's actually OK to enjoy the search and destroy part. Getting to eat the prey animal is bonus.

Sxx

Sxx
birdman 07 Jan 2009
In reply to pauldr:

they are doing rabbits tonight. Quite enjoy seeing different peoples views on the killing of animals for food and sport.

Interesting to see response from the question is it wrong to enjoy the "sport" ie process of killing an animal for consumption?

Personally i'm a meet eater, whilst i love animals and wouldn't want to see them kept in poor conditions or badly treated, i fully believe the act of killing an animal for consumption (and enjoying it) is fine.

What does get me is the people willing to kill animals but not touch them once they are dead ie no gutting/cleaning or butchering, let alone kill them and not eat them. I fly fish for trout and salmon, will catch, kill, clean and prepare the fish but i can't eat it (allergy), however many friends and family have eaten the fruits of my labour.

Quite a few people haven't cottoned on to the fact that animals are culled for environmental reasons such as dear, thus some benefit might as well come out of it (ie money from stalking). They think that just because someone is paying to do the shooting, that person is enjoying it and therefore its wrong.

OP Peakpdr 07 Jan 2009
In reply to birdman: i was brought up in the area that the programme is filmed in and hunting / shooting / fishing is a massive part of life round there
i would say that over 65% of my involved going out on the hills , hunting
personaly i enjoy the hunt / stalking / shooting / preparing as much if not more than eating the animal
but i can honestly say hand on heart ( apart from rats , crows and the ocasional fox ) i always ate or gave the quarry to someone i never just went out shooting animals for the sake of it
 Strife 07 Jan 2009
I really can't see how it's not OK to kill an animal yourself and eat it - it's 100% natural after all.
haglofs92 07 Jan 2009
In reply to Strife: people want to eat meat but they feel guilty if they have to actually address that it came from a living thing. i eat meat btw
 jcharles 07 Jan 2009
In reply to Sarah G:
>. Anyone else heard of the NcNab?
>
>

Isn't that catching a trout, shooting a grouse and stalking a stag in one day?

Or is it that book writing, ex SAS fella?

chickenpox 07 Jan 2009
I can't help but feel these idiots crying over rabbit are acting and over acting at that. No person who carries on like that would be alive today, someone would have beaten them to death with a hot water bottle (or similar painful slow method) by now.
I'm really having to restrain myself from becomming anti vege and hating them all.
Removed User 07 Jan 2009
In reply to pauldr:

Personally I think it would be a good idea if every meat eater had to kill and eat at least one animal a year.
OP Peakpdr 08 Jan 2009
In reply to chickenpox: well i dont know about shooting the rabbits but it would have been more fun shooting that bloody anoying vegi , good god i have never scene anyone act so pathetic before ,
can you imagine the conversation those gamekeepers would be having after the shoot
 toad 08 Jan 2009
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Userpauldr)
>
> Personally I think it would be a good idea if every meat eater had to kill and eat at least one animal a year.

I think that's not quite it. It's the butchery that puts people off - make them pluck and gut a chicken - that would be quite an eye opener for the mcnugget generation.
OP Peakpdr 08 Jan 2009
In reply to toad: i still wanted to shoot her ...
birdman 08 Jan 2009
In reply to pauldr:

Ohh that blonde bird pissed me off.... "being vegetarian is healthier than eating meat", by the way, she admited to being bolemic, whats healthy about that? Eating red meat increase levels of iron and helps boost number of red blood cells.

Another classic throw away comment "just let the scientists come up with a way of managing the situation"..... as the chick who worked with animals satated, they did, it was called mixemetosis and its horrific. Let the people who understand wildlife and respect it be in charge of the management, if that means shooting, netting, trapping etc then fine.

I thought the lady who worked with animals was a hero and i think her little theory was correct about vast majority of vegetarians have very little contact with wild animals and thus are more emotionally attached to domesticated animals.
 thin bob 08 Jan 2009
In reply to pauldr:
do you not get the feeling that it was stereotype tv? they want an 'exciting story' and a bit of conflict. she was obviously chosen because she acted pathetically.
I obtained no pleasure from seeing the rabbit with a broken back thrashing about.....whether i was going to eat it afterwards or not.

and yes, meat eaters should know where their protein comes from. and vegheads should grow thier own protein, too!
 thin bob 08 Jan 2009
In reply to birdman:
in terms of cardiac disease, possibly arthritis & obesity, vegetarian diets are better for you.
not really fair to single out an emotional youngster for the answer to all the world's problems. personally, I'd have said foxes, fences & falcons would go a long way....
[fair play to the people that went the whole way, either killing gutting & eating, or not killing in the first place]
birdman 08 Jan 2009
In reply to thin bob:

Yeah i agree they obviously want some conflict and any emotioncs are massively bigged up.

I've seen deer jump 10ft fences with ease, foxes will also have an impact on other species and i assume by saying hawks you mean increase the number of wild hawks (ie not hunting with a hawk?) which would impact again on other smaller animals unbalancing the fragile ecosystems.

I think hunting with a hawk is quite a good option, its a very natural way of culling the rabbits, pitting hawk against rabbit is a bit fairer than rabbit vs 12 bore shotgun, but judging by that groups marksmanship i reckon the rabbits had a better than fair chance!
birdman 08 Jan 2009
In reply to thin bob:

Also by using skilled hunters selective culling can take place (ie stalkers only shooting the older or weaker animals), where as by introducing more foxes or hawks, they will kill indiscriminantly (yes natural selection will occur there aswell) however they may have a greater impact on species not intended to be culled.
 toad 08 Jan 2009
In reply to birdman:
> (In reply to pauldr)
>
>> Another classic throw away comment "just let the scientists come up with a way of managing the situation"..... as the chick who worked with animals satated, they did, it was called mixemetosis and its horrific. Let the people who understand wildlife and respect it be in charge of the management, if that means shooting, netting, trapping etc then fine.
>

After another thread on here, I did some reading around myxomatosis. The introduction and spread was much less intentional, at least in the UK, than you might think. Although there was some human intervention, it wasn't intentional policy.
birdman 08 Jan 2009
In reply to toad:

I stand corrected, cheers, will read up on that.
OP Peakpdr 08 Jan 2009
In reply to thin bob: it didnt have a broken back they thrash like that all the time its just the nerves in there spine .
i once shot one in front of a gate ( gate in field ) and the rabbit back flipped straight over the gate
OP Peakpdr 08 Jan 2009
In reply to birdman: hmmm yeh i would have loved to tell her that they kill foxes aswell
 apulmatt 13 Jan 2009
In reply to pauldr: I found it good when that silly blond cow said that the shooting was 'ruining my life' what a clown.
Removed User 14 Jan 2009
In reply to jcharles:
> (In reply to Sarah G)
> >. Anyone else heard of the NcNab?
> [...]
>
> Isn't that catching a trout, shooting a grouse and stalking a stag in one day?

I think you'll find it's the "McNab" and you have to catch a trout, shoot a grouse and stalk a stag in one day, on 3 different estates and all via the wonderful pastime of Poaching.

Mike Hartley 14 Jan 2009
In reply to chickenpox:
> (In reply to irish paul) I've seen the last two nights and this series is different, they are taking people out in scotland hunting wild animals, deer, duck, dunno what it is tonight, what else can you hunt in scotland?

Raptors, if they're not already hunting you.
mattc86 14 Jan 2009
In reply to pauldr: in my opinnion if you shoot it (or kill it in another way) you should eat everything that you can. i was horrified in the duck one when the guy pushed his plate away and didn't eat it. it was killed for him to eat atleast he could have eaten it even if he was against the idea.

anyway i was more upset by the images of the duck farm uuuurrrrggggg!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...