UKC

Best down jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 07 Jan 2009
Are the outers of down jackets all basically the same, or do any makes/models stand out as being more weatherproof or harder wearing?

How much water can they reasonably be expected to repel before the down starts getting wet? Or are they basically only suitable for dry/snow?

gethin_allen 08 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb:
most down jackets are only really good when dry, some of the more expensive models are waterproof , go outdoors, has a deal on the rab summit storm jacket (£185 down from about £230) at the moment, a friend has one and it's really nice, fully waterproof too.
 Scarab 08 Jan 2009
Both rab and crux do fully waterproof downjackets with a event outer.
tianshanvirgin 16 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb: I've got a summit storm jacket, had it a few years and love it. My next down wil be another.
Vip1r 16 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb: If it's raining, it's too warm to be wearing one.
 Andrew Smith 16 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb:Ive just bought a Rab Summit Jacket, Lovely and Warm, couldn't comment on how hard wearing it is as I have only had it 2 weeks.

Got it from these guys http://www.theoutdoorshop.com and it only cost me 135 pounds.

Cheers

Andy
BeerBuddha 17 Jan 2009
In reply to Vip1r:
> (In reply to bpmclimb) If it's raining, it's too warm to be wearing one.

Agreed
 Mr Lopez 17 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb: PHD does what i think is the only down jacket with a shell outside AND inside. This is very important if your are looking at being in situations where you just put the jacket over your shell, such as belaying, etc. when the snow in your clothes will melt inside the jacket and soak it from the inside.
m0unt41n 17 Jan 2009
In reply to Mr Lopez: And same problem if you put a waterproof shell over the down jacket, sweat cant get through that lot and the down jacket becomes a damp towel.
 apulmatt 17 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb: Rab jackets are fantastic. My one is not waterproof and i make no habit of getting it wet however i have been caught out in the rain and it holds of water fine. Alpkit ones look good, however im not sure about technicalitys of them.
Ian Black 17 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb: Unless I was going to do an 8000m job, I would have synthetic every time. The PHD and DAS wont be that far behind down in terms of warmth, and still operate when wet.
OP bpmclimb 24 Jan 2009
In reply all:

Thanks for the replies

I've been trying several in the shops and really like the Rab Neutrino Edge. Anyone got one of these?
Removed User 24 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb:

I've got the RAB Neutrino and absolutely love it. Mind you, I live in very dry climate.
 The Pylon King 24 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb:

i'm sure you can get a decent enough one from primark, after all your not going to the antartic now are you?
 2pints 24 Jan 2009
In reply to andyyyy:

I've got one of them and it's still going strong 2 years on and I've never been cold wearing it
OP bpmclimb 24 Jan 2009
In reply to The Pylon King:
> (In reply to bpmclimb)
>
> after all your not going to the antartic now are you?

Where's that? Something to do with lorries?
 galpinos 25 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb:

> I've been trying several in the shops and really like the Rab Neutrino Edge. Anyone got one of these?

It had a funny fit on me so went for the Neutrino Endurance. I think it was cut shorter as wel but can't really remember. Good jacket but the hood isn't great with a helmet on and the "waterproof" zip is a pain in the a**e. Happy with it but wouldn't say it's definately that good I'd get another one.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/insulation/omega_jack...

Looks good but not tried one. A friend has a prototype of it and really rates it. Box Wall and Drilite outer. Good stuff!
 MikeLell 26 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb: Got a Neutrino Endurance and its the dog's b*llocks! ME Omegas look very good too, especially in the olive green colour. Black jackets are boring.
 k2hvs 26 Jan 2009
In reply to MikeLell: Just bought the Crux Plasma! It's the dogs bollocks! Best piece of kit I own!
almost sane 26 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb:

I got a last-season's Cloudveil down jacket for £50. Excellent value for money.

So far I have only used it round town and such, where it has been excellent - toasty and warm waiting for trains.

In Scottish winter mountains, I always wear synthetic insulation. I have a couple of Primaloft jackets which are great - warm, light, they don't collapse when they get damp and they dry out quickly if they get soggy. They have also proved great at just over 4,500m in Andes and Himalayas. I was planning to go higher, but stuff happened, as stuff is wont to do, and we had to back off sharpish, so I never got to try out my toasty primaloft trousers. I reckon my MH Compressor trousers and jacket would have kept me superbly warm up to a fairly high height indeed, and one day I hope to check this out.
But not for the next few weeks.
OP bpmclimb 26 Jan 2009
In reply to almost sane:
> (In reply to bpmclimb)
>
> I got a last-season's Cloudveil down jacket for £50.

Where was that. Any left?
 The Pylon King 26 Jan 2009
In reply to bpmclimb:
> (In reply to almost sane)
> [...]
>
>
> Where was that. Any left?

Primark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...