UKC

A new dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rossowen 09 Jan 2009
I'm looking for a new dog to keep my Springer Spaniel company in the house while Mrs. Ross and I are out at work. We had a labrador called Eddie but sadly we lost him in a tragic accident.

We are an active household - we go out for walkies every day and regularly go for between an hour and a half and two hours with longer walks and sometime hikes with them on the weekends. I'd like a Weimaraner but I've been told he won't do well in the house while we are working in the week, even with another dog to keep him company. I'm not sure about having another lab after my recent loss.

Can anyone suggest another breed?
 mikehike 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

Weimaraner to highly strung

Suggest
Border Collie
Border Terrier
or a 'pound hound'
 Andrew Smith 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen: What about another Springer? Thats what we are thinking of getting to keep ours company when we are not in. Either that, or a cocker.
OP rossowen 09 Jan 2009
In reply to mikehike:

Yes, I was thinking of a border collie too - the climber's dog!

Those border terrier's look tiny
OP rossowen 09 Jan 2009
In reply to andyyyy:

Mrs. Ross would LOVE another Springer. Trouble is our Springer never pays us any attention when we are out walking - he just runs off hunting around and we only see him when we're putting him back on the lead. I used to enjoy playing 'get it' and football with Eddie.
OP rossowen 09 Jan 2009
In reply to mikehike:

That's crazy I'd never have thought it. Were they really young when you got them? They are lush.
 mikehike 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:
Sorry to say they are from the Sanctuary, we walk dogs for the sanctuary so they are not ours for keeps, just for the day. The Sanctuary is 2 mins walk from my home.
They were both rehomed. We dont have a dog.

Dont want to upset you but this lad had never been in water when we first walked him
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mrgent/Tyson?authkey=m3avJ3NHd5s&feat=dir...
Saintly24 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen: get a viszla!
 mikehike 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

These two we came across whilst out for a walk.
They were winding each other up.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/Yg8NWAuO1yYnEAbmYbPpMg?authkey=WIri_...
 mikehike 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

Currently on offer we have the following dogs
http://www.brysons.org.uk/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=26&g...

my fav at the moment is mollie
a big lass the picture fails to describe here size
http://www.brysons.org.uk/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=26&g...
bazk 09 Jan 2009
In reply to mikehike:

I have 3 breeds all capable of the hills, Springer, Gsd & an American Bulldog
Lerxt 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

I wouldn't say Weimaraners are highly strung rather they need quite a bit of physical and mental stimulation otherwise they can be a nightmare. They also don't do well left alone for long periods even if it is with another dog. They are fantastic dogs but take a lot of work. Labs they are not.

I'd also steer clear of GSPs and Vislas for similar reasons.

Have you thought of a Lakeland Terrier? Assertive, bright, can go forever, and fearless.

Lerxt
 Jen_George 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:
i know several people with springers, and all the dogs seem to get on amazingly well with boarder collies and jack russels
 RockAngel 09 Jan 2009
In reply to mikehike: I want a Border Terrier. They are really cute, though they look like they should be wearing a flapcap, smoking a pipe and drinking a pint of stout.
Fauvé 09 Jan 2009
 Simon 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:
> (In reply to mikehike)
>
> Yes, I was thinking of a border collie too - the climber's dog!
>
>

Lovely dogs - but they need to be kept busy & can be quite needy (well mine was!)

...and of course LOADS of exercise!!

si
 Andrew Smith 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen: Just like my Springer then! Little minx thought she would have herself an exteneded walk this morning and not come back, oh it was far more intresting to chase birds in the bushes.
OP rossowen 09 Jan 2009
In reply to mikehike: Poor chap. Did he get in the first time he saw the water? Is he 4-6 years?

I'm thinking of paying my local RSPCA a visit tomorrow to have a look around.
OP rossowen 09 Jan 2009
In reply to Fauvé: Haha that's an awesome picture.

Not sure I could manage three walks a day though. I try to get up and go jogging in the mornings with the boys but it generally only lasts a couple of days a week tops. 2 hours and 20 mins is some walking. I would like a Weim though - but I don't want to get one, just to depress it and then give it back.
 jbird 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen: golden retriever! or an alsation, theyre my choice of dogs
Jonno 09 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

Fergus,my springer has had his knackers off today ! Feeling pretty sorry for himself and looking kinda stoopid in with that lampshade thing around his neck so he can't pull his stitches out.
 woolsack 09 Jan 2009
In reply to Jonno:
> (In reply to rossowen)
>
> Fergus,my springer has had his knackers off today ! Feeling pretty sorry for himself and looking kinda stoopid in with that lampshade thing around his neck so he can't pull his stitches out.

Do Springers have their knackers in a different place then?
 nniff 10 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

Border Terrier - tough as old boots, suicidally brave and really good house dogs too. Ours has the mildest temperament going and will happily run around all day (not as long legged as a Collie though). Good ratter, but not quite fast enough to catch a rabbit in full flight. He's currently in his winter 'sheep' phase, but we'll strip his coat in the spring. Pretty much waterproof at the moment.

I always used to be a big dog person - Collies, Lab/GSD/Heinz crosses - no more. Full convert to scruffy terriers now, especially Borders

JimR 10 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

Our dog is a lab/weimeranner cross, she's 13 now and getting slow but in her day she'd run for miles with me, in fact I cycled with her running over the plain and we'd often go for 20 miles+ in a day , great dogs but need a firm hand in puppyhood . Here's a pic o our old lady now (at nearly 14)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2910871136_e25558739e.jpg
 jason lane 10 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen: i agree about not getting a lab so soon . im lookking for a lab now and its been three years since we lost our girl 'jade' .a border terrier would be a good dog but whatever you get your going to have a lot of work to do to get them to interact with each other bfore you can leave them together on thier own... a dog will and does get used to its own company after a while .there are some plug in aromatherapy things that help calm your dog. if you go to your vet he/she will recommend the besyt advice free of charge .that would be the best advice you could get. not of us mob on here. good luck buddy ,jason. ps if your near wigan go to vets for pets on woodhouse lane... my wife owns the practise. mention climbing and shell know i replied to you and shell give you the best advice around.
Krav Maga 10 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

A Setter (any of the various breeds).

We have a Springer and if we ever get a bigger house and more time (!) we'll get a Setter as well.
 jason lane 10 Jan 2009
In reply to JimR:
nice pic jim. she looks lovely. we had a black lab called jade. she was our old girl... enjoy her buddy shes beautiful.give her a pat on the head for me if you would be so kind . all the best jim.. jason
 mikehike 10 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:
He needed a bit of coaxing. Once in up to his shoulders he splashed around pawing at the water. After a bit swim he then proceeded to parade about as if he owned the place.

not sure re the age but he'es long gone to a new home

Good on ya, but keep a very open mind.
Knowing the history of the dog is important.

good luck
 mikehike 10 Jan 2009
In reply to JimR:

Grand picture, lovely
 cander 10 Jan 2009
In reply to mikehike:

Isaac is the spitting image of our old dog - except ours has brown eyes that every woman he's ever met would love to have.

Oddly enough lots of dog refuges won't let us have a dog because we have a farm and they think unlimited acres to wander around, with a river, pond, woodland, rabbits, foxes and badgers to chase is a bad thing! Why is that?
 abr1966 10 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen: Another vote for Border Terriers! They will go all day on the hill, are happy chasing a ball and equally settled when having short walks. I've had a few and never a bad one, very sociable for a terrier and bags of character....if you look at the breed characteristics on some of the web sites they do very well for an all round dog (they don't molt either).
 AndyH1710 10 Jan 2009
In reply to abr1966:

Yeah, I've got a border as well. He's brilliant, easily taken him to the beach for 30 minutes or an 8 hour walk in the highlands and he is happy with either. Really friendly and loves everyone.

For some reason after he takes a shit, he comes belting into the house and runs around at full pelt until he finds a shoe he can attempt to kill. I think he might just be a bit mental though, I don't think its a characteristic of the breed :P
 TMM 10 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

The Weimaraner is a beautiful and loyal beast. You will be inundated with compliments from strangers about the gorgeous dog that is accompanying you on your walk/run/visit to the pub.

They can be hard work. They are demanding and need plenty of exercise and stimulation.

I really dislike the trade in puppies so we have always rescued dogs and cats.

http://www.weimaraner-rescue.org.uk/

The independent Weimaraner group are really helpful. I suggest you call your local rep to discuss your lifestyle and whether they think you might make a suitable home. There are lots of dogs looking for homes at the moment as people look to reduce their expenditure.

Are beautiful beast is currently curled up next to the cat under a radiator, nice spot.
Franklin the pedantic cat 10 Jan 2009
In reply to TMM:

There are lots of dogs looking for homes at the moment as people look to reduce their expenditure.

I'm trying to make this work.

You're not joking are you?
 TMM 10 Jan 2009
In reply to Franklin the pedantic cat:
> (In reply to TMM)
>
> There are lots of dogs looking for homes at the moment as people look to reduce their expenditure.
>
> I'm trying to make this work.
>
> You're not joking are you?

Sorry, I don't think I understand.

Lots of animal shelters and rescue groups are seeing a significant increase in people giving up their pets or simply abandoning them as they find their finances reduced.
In reply to TMM:

I don't think I understand either.

Surely no one in this day & age lets a dog like this go due to "finances"? How much does a dog cost to keep these days? My old Boxer died 18mths ago & there's no way I would have ever considered letting her go however impecunious I could have become. She was part of the family & treated as so.

I'm sorry but I think you're wrong here.
 Andrew Smith 10 Jan 2009
In reply to Franklin the pedantic cat: No he's not. We are currently registered with a Springer rescue group on the lookout for another Springer to add to our own, and I was shocked by the excuses people gave for giving up there dogs in the first place.

You would be suprised how some people have little regard for dogs being part of the family. Unfourtunatley, it still happens in this day and age.
 TMM 10 Jan 2009

I wasn't really looking to enter into a discussion. I am merely relaying what I have seen on the BBC national news and local news (South West) before Christmas. A quick search on the BBC website and Google brings these stories immediately.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7809114.stm
Economic downturn blamed for increase in numbers of animals being abandoned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/7778380.stm
Same again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/7792203.stm
again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7752371.stm
again

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/havant-and-w-sussex/Economic-woe-makes-more-dog...
and still more

I agree with you that I would not consider letting pet go as they are part of the family. Clearly though others do not share our sensibilities.

I'm sorry I think you're wrong here
 ebygomm 10 Jan 2009
In reply to TMM:

It's not as simple as less money = can't afford dog, it can be more complex

e.g. less money = housing problems = rented accommodation = no dogs allowed
 ebygomm 10 Jan 2009
In reply to ebygomm:

and

Less money = both partners working = nobody at home for dog = give dog up
 TMM 10 Jan 2009
In reply to ebygomm:

'There are lots of dogs looking for homes at the moment as people look to reduce their expenditure.'

I don't think I attempted to make the matter more or less complex. The issues you mention are a consequences of the statement above.

I really don't think that this is very controversial is it? The matter has been widely reported in the news and a call to any rescue centre will confirm that there has been significant increase in the number of animals being abandoned or placed for rescue.
In reply to TMM:

Well I'm absolutely stumped & owe you an apology.

I do note that these examples seem to be based in the south.....

I really, really can't believe people have so little regard for their dogs.

Mrs FTPC suggested we leave it a few months after our dog died, regarding a replacement. 18 months on we both agree that we are enjoying more "freedom" than when she was alive & consequently have no intention of replacing her just yet. We will. Probably when we retire. What amazes me is this "easy come - easy go" attitude among some dog owners. It's a shame prospective owners can't be vetted.

TMM 10 Jan 2009

Couldn't agree more.

We were devastated when we had to have our Weimaraner put down. We left it a couple of months to get over that loss before rescuing another Weimaraner from the rescue group I linked to my first post.

It disgusts me when I see people trying to sell their pets after enjoying the purchase of the cute little bundle of fur and then being surprised that the bundle of fur magically turns into a large muscular dog.

An advert in the local paper read.

'Weimaraner Dog. 2 yrs old. Reason for sale, has got too big for our family. £600.'

So what size did they think the Weimaraner puppy would be when it grew up?
gregmc 10 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

what about a Bedlington Terrier. look like little lambs. Great house dog, easy to look after ie not much coat to dry or clean, or dryclean. good family dog too. Ive got two border collies, they can be destructive if left to their own devices though.
 John_Hat 10 Jan 2009
In reply to rossowen:

Repeated from a friend's blog posted yesterday. Get in touch if interested.

I am desperately searching for a home for a beautiful, needy, 3 year old saluki lurcher named Primrose, can you help?

Primrose was rescued by a gallant friend from a council pound half dead with 70% hair loss, blisters all over her skin and urine burns on her paws. There's a photo of her on her first night in the pictures section. She's now been nursed back to relative health, has most of her fur back (and the rest coming through fluffily) good, healthy skin and a semi-decent weight on (and growing all the time). She does have some behavioral problems which include bad separation anxiety when she lives as an only dog and general nervousness but these are all surmountable with training and patience. Primrose has been in two different homes in the last 6 months as well as the pound and her time as a stray so is very confused and lonely.

She's a very gentle, calm girl who will sleep 80% of the time and is extremely affectionate in a timid, slightly apologetic way. She is quietly appreciative of strokes and fuss and leans her head against you if she wants a cuddle. She does not need long walks although she can stay out for a good while if necessary, useful for a town person living in a flat. She may be a sleepy girl but when she runs she is fast, faster than any dog I've seen. She is incredibly athletic and I have seen her jump over 4ft over another dog just because she could.

What Prim really needs is a comfy duvet, some stability, routine and to be given space as she recovers from whatever it is she's been through. She's been thriving in her current home where she has her own armchair covered with pillows and blankets and is left to her own devices as much as possible.

She has full, top line insurance paid for a year which includes behaviorist fees if you would like help with her separation anxiety and I'd be happy to keep paying for the medication she's currently taking for her skin until such time as she doesn't need it any more, even if that's for the rest of her life. I'd also be happy to drive her to anywhere in the country on spec for an introduction.

OP rossowen 11 Jan 2009
In reply to jasonlane:

Thanks Jason - that's good advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...