UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Patagonian Winter by Andy Kirkpatrick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 15 Jan 2009
Andy Kirkpatrick recounts a terrifying tale of a winter ascent of Poincenot, Patagonia.

"Alone on the ledge, shivering, I listen to the wind whispering through the holes in my helmet, my brain dark and empty. I visualize the two frozen corpses somewhere out there high on Cerro Torre, climbers like us who were unlucky and abseiled into early graves. What will I look like, sat here, mummified in ice? Nothing more than a lesson for future climbers..."

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1568
 Richard Hall 15 Jan 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

That was great, thanks.
Enjoyed that one. =o)
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Jan 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

Well -------- did they get down?

Chris

Excellent read btw
TWR 15 Jan 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs: Well, Nick Lewis, Jim Hall, Paul Ramsden and Andy Kirkpatrick are all still with us. So one assumes so.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Jan 2009
In reply to TWR:

Joke!

Chris
 Henry L Buckle 15 Jan 2009
What are the technicalities of climbing in a four?

One lead, two on one rope and one on the other?

Or three ropes?
 francoisecall 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Waiting impatiently for the follow up....
andy kirkpatrick 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Henry Loveless: Just two teams of two (4 ropes - 2 racks). There's simply strength in numbers when things go wrong (this climb took place about two weeks after we abseiled down the Super Couloir).

Andy
 robdan 01 Feb 2009
In reply to andy kirkpatrick: Anyone know when did this climb occur in relation to the aborted climb shown on the dvd psyche when Ian Parnell and Andy K were in Patagonia ?
andy kirkpatrick 02 Feb 2009
In reply to robdan:

it happened in 1999

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...