UKC

Twistleton Scar - anyone climbed there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tamati 16 Jan 2009
Where exactly is it?
I know it's near ingleton, yorkshire dales, but whereabouts?

What's it like?

Could be climbing with 2 outdoor beginners, is it suitable?

Thanks

Kid Spatula 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:

It's OK! Routes feel a bit stiff for the grade and it'll be bloody freezing but it should be fine for beginners.
 york_ollie 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Go along the hawes road from Ingleton and turn left just before the Hill inn. Theres an old church near the turning too.

Its good fun. Some routes can be a bit polished.
Removed User 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:

It's got a nice outlook. I don't know what routes we did as we didn't have a guidebook, but it was good climbing if a bit polished for my tastes. I reckon it would be a fine place for beginners.
 victorclimber 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati: better summer venue it gets cold up there,and it all depends how much the beginners have done before ,if at all,dont think I,d take complete novices there..
 Paul Clarke 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:

Often used by novice climbers but as others have said it can be cold in winter. If in the area why not pick up a guidebook from Inglesport. Chapel-le-Dale crags (a bit further up the valley) can be slightly more sheltered.
Also check out Tow Scar (see Leeds wall database)as it is less polished.

If weather is too windy then Gigglewick is not too far away and has some easy sport routes - (again see download from Leeds Wall)

Paul
 BenTiffin 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati: Fairly short (up to 12m) with some good routes for the grades although they do tend to be polished. Its above the road (obvious) in square 6976. Park at the phone where you used to have to pay (can't remember how much).

Ben
Ian Black 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati: Definitely well polished, but what popular limestone crag isn't.
&y_Gee 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:
If you get good weather it will be OK, it's south facing and can be warm in the sun quite early on in the year. Last year we were there in February and had a good time:

http://sthelensmc.blogspot.com/2008/02/tee-shirts-in-february.html

There is a reasonable selection of low-grade, single-pitch routes. Care is required topping out, there is loose rock on the hillside above the crag. Some areas have in-situ stakes for belays.

Have fun.

Andy.
Rat know-all 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:
One of the best winter venues in Yorkshire I would say, nice spot, a good supply of lowish grade routes, highly recommended.
 Cusco 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:

More polish than Chudleigh and more midges than Glen Nevis the warm, damp summer's evening I went 10 years ago. Loved the location though.

Must go back and lead The Candle rather than wussing out.
Rat know-all 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:
People appear to think it's polished, I'm certainly no expert but it never struck me like that. There is quite a bit of flow stone though, hence the candle, white wax etc. But then I guess you won't be taking beginners up them!
 Ann S 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:

Nice location and still have to pay for parking at the farm, but I found lot of the sub VS routes horribly polished. Would not really recommend it for beginners intro-if you want limestone for them then try Hutton Roof in Lancs guide
mrsplodgkin 16 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:
Not a bad spot, some good low grade climbs. Gigglewick's only 10 mins away with some easy sports, might be easier for you with beginners.
OP Tamati 16 Jan 2009
Any idea why it's not in the northern limestone rockfax?

Rat know-all 17 Jan 2009
In reply to Rat know-all:
> (In reply to Tamati)
> People appear to think it's polished, I'm certainly no expert but it never struck me like that. There is quite a bit of flow stone though, hence the candle, white wax etc. But then I guess you won't be taking beginners up them!

Looks like I'm wrong about the polish then!
 Andy Hudson 17 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:
> Any idea why it's not in the northern limestone rockfax?

It's something to do with it been covered by Yorkshire Limestone

crisp 17 Jan 2009
In reply to Tamati:

Its a good limestone crag, but you do have to pay the farmer to park.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...