UKC

WICC/Bedlinog Climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Morris 22 Jan 2009
http://www.summitcentre.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article...

Seems like things have been restarted! Without asking about where reception is, can anyone give any further details?

Mark
 Nigel R Lewis 22 Jan 2009
In reply to Mark Morris: I'll stop making jokes about the reception if they agree to stop moving it!!!
N.
 MorganPreece 22 Jan 2009
In reply to Mark Morris: Im only going there if the big over hang is open!
Happychappy 23 Jan 2009
In reply to MorganPreecey:
> (In reply to Mark Morris) Im only going there if the big over hang is open!

Not yet
 MorganPreece 23 Jan 2009
In reply to Happychappy: Ooo, its a really cool climb, i wish they put some harder routes up on it this time!
Dai Williams 23 Jan 2009
In reply to MorganPreecey: hi guys , wont be long now, the overhang is almost done.
Dai Williams 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Dai Williams: hi guys remember the bouldering comp tomorrow starts at 6pm onwards, £5 entry.
 Mark Edwards 25 Feb 2009
In reply to Mark Morris:
Went today for the first time since they closed down last year. All the big overhangs and feature walls are open again and the only section not in use is the chimney, which is currently being worked on. The bouldering area was a bit sparse but apparently it is going to be moved into the main hall when they extend that area, which is why the lockers have been removed.
They accept the old membership cards, so no need for an assessment or joining fee if you still have your old card.
Unfortunately the new owners don’t seem to have much imagination, as the reception is still in the same place.
 onlytovey 04 Mar 2009
In reply to Mark Morris: yeah the wicc is reopened and the overhangs are climbable. Route setting is underway, any constructive feedback is more than welcome.

Its also £5 entrance at the moment. Or at least it was last week.

have i said boulders sucks yet?
 gejones 04 Mar 2009
In reply to onlytovey:

What sucks about boulders?
 onlytovey 05 Mar 2009
In reply to gejones: the really short walls, badly set routes, random grading, dangerous bouldering (i know 2 people who have broken their legs bouldering there), entrance price & membership fee.

monkey_moves 05 Mar 2009
In reply to onlytovey: ah but the short walls are good for those scared of heights, but yer the bouldering is higher than the routes, but personally I think the bouldering is awesome lol!!! anyhow, how the devil are ya mr tovey!! soz missed ya message other day! off climbing in malta this weekend but back next week! have to pop down the house dude, am on a training mission at the mo so the garage board is seeing some action!!
 irish paul 05 Mar 2009
In reply to onlytovey: That seems harsh, i'll accept the walls are a tad on the short side [compared to the WICC certainly] but the rest of your comments are quite subjective.
 rossowen 05 Mar 2009
In reply to onlytovey: They are well expensive - and like you say grading is all over the place, well that's what I like to say when I'm being lowered from 6a+. I do like the bouldering though, but I won't be jumping off from the top any more after reading your post!
 DaveR 05 Mar 2009
In reply to rossowen:

Once you're a member it's £7 to get in. Thats the same price as the WICC used to be, and I assume it still is or will be when they finish repairs?
Removed User 05 Mar 2009
In reply to onlytovey:

How is the bouldering dangerous?
 gejones 05 Mar 2009
In reply to onlytovey:

The walls are shorter than those at WICC but they're far from too short. As for the rest of your gripes they're just opinion. Personally I'll be very happy if the new WICC turns out to be half as well run as Boulders.

There's nothing to be gained from disparaging our local climbing walls, South East Wales has been without a good wall for far too long (opinion I know) but now there's potentially two! why not support them both.
 allie bee 05 Mar 2009
In reply to onlytovey:
> (In reply to Mark Morris) yeah the wicc is reopened and the overhangs are climbable. Route setting is underway, any constructive feedback is more than welcome...

> ...have i said boulders sucks yet?

I went on Sunday with my son (to WICC/Summit). I used to love climbing there, and spent many a time falling off the double overhang. But it just didn't feel right there. My main concern was we didn't have to sign anything to confirm we could tie in/belay etc (what you kind of expect at any climbing centre). And no staff about keeping an eye on things. It makes me wonder what would happen if there was an accident?

Allie
 GingerNathan 05 Mar 2009
WICC rules!! Boulders seems to sterile. Plus the last time i went down the staff were really ignorant.
 Cardi 05 Mar 2009
In reply to Mark Morris: To anyone that says that the Bouldering is too high - no one is forcing you to climb all the way to the top. I think it's a great triumph in this day and age's blame culture that you can make an objective assessment of the danger yourself, once you have acknowledged that falling off may hurt. After all outside problems can be just as high, and people hurt themselves doing that, so should we ban that as well?

Initially, having been used to the WICC, I thought the routes at Boulders were a bit on the short side, but once I got on them I was pumping out anyhow!
 allie bee 05 Mar 2009
In reply to Anonymous:

Hi Anonymous,

thanks for that. I was replying to a post that mentioned constructive feedback was welcome.

I'm more than happy to be assessed at any wall I want to go along to. Although I'm not very familiar with 'knotts', so probably wouldn't pass.

Allie

Jimbob11 05 Mar 2009
In reply to allie bee: Not getting into Boulders V WICC debate, but as WICC has been with its problems over the past few years we should all be encouraging constructve critism and all try and support the wall as best we can. S Wales deserves a wall of WICC's magnitude. And Boulders is a massive step forward as the Capitol city has gone years without such a great venue.

Good luck for the future, im hoping to pop along to Summit soon.

James
 allie bee 06 Mar 2009
In reply to Jimbob11:

Hi James,

I totally agree. I honestly do hope that WICC is successful, and I think there are enough climbers locally for both WICC and Boulders to be successful. Both have different pros and cons. My feedback was a genuine concern.

Allie
 Jimbob11 06 Mar 2009
In reply to allie bee:
Yep, sorry not having a go at anyone hope it did not come across like that, and I'm in the "leave me climb" camp, although that's because i climb, i can climb and just don't want to get tied into wasting half hour showing me things i know, but on the other hand, i totally agree that it is perhaps what's needed to ensure these places maintain a relative safety record.
As i said before though, all the best for them, and if we have any criticism, lets make it constructive.

James.
crimpmonkeys 25 Mar 2009
In reply to tede:
i think if you had asked and opened your eyes as you walk into the wall there ws blatent work on the enw reception area, also it makes sense to have the reception next to the bar as it makes visitors walk through the centre seeing what else the building has
crimpmonkeys 25 Mar 2009
In reply to tede:
i think if you had asked and opened your eyes as you walk into the wall there ws blatent work on the enw reception area, also it makes sense to have the reception next to the bar as it makes visitors walk through the centre seeing what else the building has, also did you have to produce an old climbing card and did u not sign in the children thats wrong they should have done that
 Mark Edwards 25 Mar 2009
In reply to crimpmonkeys:
I remember that my son signed me in as I was parking the car ???
The only things I was asking about was when we can use the chimney and the bouldering area's.
The new work was just studding and could have been anything. I wanted to be sure of my facts before shooting my mouth off.
Old card? Yes. See post.
Personally I think reception should be at the doorway so that you can see who is coming and going and what they are carrying.
budweiser666 11 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Morris: a small group of us have been using the walls for awhile since re-opening. the only main feature that is still not available yet is the corner chimney(currently under work). a complete overhaul is being done on the reception area (located just outside the main hall!!). A new bouldering section has been erected in the main hall, it could do with a few purpose placed holds as they are abit sparse. nearly all of the walls are available to climb, although not all top roped. discs and bolt-ons seem to have been used from previous set routes, without the edition of new ones. The bouldering room is abit suspect, with lack of holds and nothing exciting going on, seems as though all the attention for the time being is concerntrated on the main hall. we are using the center atleast once a week, progress is being made, slowly but surely. the center has huge potential, i just hope the improvements keep coming.
 JoshOvki 11 Apr 2009
In reply to Mark Morris:

It is looking good in there. Always has a couple of people in there. Have nearly managed the double roof! So so close.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...