UKC

NEWS: Sport Climbing News: Brits On Form In Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Whilst parts of the UK may be experiencing what could almost be dubbed a "proper winter," some British climbers have opted to head for warmer climes this January.

First off Gaz Parry has made some notable ascents at Sella's Sector Wild Side. On 5th January Gaz made a quick redpoint of Espacio Tiem...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=01&year=2009#n45808
 James Oswald 27 Jan 2009
In reply to Kevin Avery - UKC:
Impressive!
James
Careless Talk 28 Jan 2009
In reply to james oswald:
Wow a Brit climbs 8c & onsights 8a... BBbbrreaking news!
 James Oswald 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Old Sport:
Doesn't stop it being impressive.
How many Brits have climbed 8c? Not a huge amount.
 James Oswald 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Old Sport:
Does this mean E8 headpoints shouldn't be noted? Should V12 ascents not be noted as V16 has been climbed?
James
 teddy 28 Jan 2009
In reply to james oswald:

Which confirmed V16 are you referring to?
 James Oswald 28 Jan 2009
In reply to teddy:
Fair point.
There are definitely confirmed V15s though. Not sure abouts v16s.
 tim carruthers 28 Jan 2009
I found Gaz's E7 to E4 downgrade more interesting. There's a lot of it about at the moment.
 StonedDonkey 28 Jan 2009
In reply to tim carruthers:
Can I be the first to coin the phrase "grade crunch"?
 Rich Mayfield 28 Jan 2009
In reply to StonedDonkey:

News flash

Yesterday shares in Super G crash dramatically from the some might say over inflated price of E8 6c or 8a to E6 6b or 7b+. Some experts fear a major crash of other share prices in the area are imminent.

mick o the north 28 Jan 2009
In reply to StonedDonkey: Indeed the outlook for the grade could be the worst since the second world war . Analists ! today revealed it could take a generation untill we see grades back up to E12 .
mick o the north 28 Jan 2009
In reply to Rich Mayfield:
> (In reply to StonedDonkey)
>
> News flash
>
> Yesterday shares in Super G crash dramatically from the some might say over inflated price of E8 6c or 8a to E6 6b or 7b+. Some experts fear a major crash of other share prices in the area are imminent.

Yeah inevitable i would say with the presence of a serious asset stripper now in the market place . Lunch is for wimps !

Michael Ryan 29 Jan 2009
In reply to Rich Mayfield:

OK Rich, Gaz and Mark.

Seems there is fun in Finestrat!
 DaisyClimbing 29 Jan 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Seems like Rich is having a lot of fun for some reason...
Stew James 29 Jan 2009
In reply to DaisyClimbing:

I was staying at The Orange House last week, and having met Rich I would say he has a sense of humour not really like normal people. That is meant in the nicest way btw!

I left before the fire took hold, hope Marks new routes on Puig are OK, has he done the topo yet, I am guessing you are his girlfriend that we saw him climbing with.

Hugh Cottam 29 Jan 2009
In reply to StonedDonkey:

An entire page on "Grade Crunch" in this months Climber by John Horscroft.
In reply to Stew James: You guessed right He's still working on the topo, fortunately those routes were unaffected.
 gaz parry 29 Jan 2009
In reply to DaisyClimbing: Hi Daisy.....not sure if thats your name. Would be keen to get a topo off mark for Echo Two if he has one, psyched for some of the new multi pitch stuff there. Great place and great routes.
In reply to gaz parry: Hi Gaz, yep, my real name is not Daisy. Must say I haven't got a clue why I picked this username... Mark will be online later so he can reply himself. I'm not sure if he has one.
In reply to Stew James:
PS Hate to break the news, but Mark Edwards is no longer the climbing world's most desired bachelor...
In reply to Kevin Avery - UKC:

You can view some photographs of Tom's ascent of Santa Lena on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/luisev/3219078650/

Kevin
 Mick Ward 30 Jan 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

> Seems there is fun in Finestrat!

Perhaps we could have a UKC sponsored comp twixt Mark & 'Daisy' and Rich & 'The Barnsley Bombshell'.

Ladies - hanging off slopers. (I'll judge!)

Lads - shopping in Calpe...

("And thus it came to pass that peace reigned in Finestrat for a thousand years...")

Mick
 Sam Mayfield 30 Jan 2009
In reply to Mick Ward:

Hi Mick

Keep me out of this one chuck, nothing to do with me, I am happy in my Devon home :0)
 DaisyClimbing 30 Jan 2009
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Ladies - hanging off slopers. (I'll judge!)

Excuse me?

> Lads - shopping in Calpe...

As long as Mark can go to a climbing shop, skate shop or surf shop I know who will be the winner.

Andrea (trying to get rid of "Daisy")
 Sam Mayfield 30 Jan 2009
In reply to DaisyClimbing:

Hi Andrea

Climbing shop, skate shop = little boys in toy shops, spending hours getting excited over little pieces of metal!

I personally hate slopers but can climb a chimney better than Rich anyday ;0P

Sam Orange
 DaisyClimbing 30 Jan 2009
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

> Climbing shop, skate shop = little boys in toy shops, spending hours getting excited over little pieces of metal!

Exactly. Must confess I quite like those shops too...

> I personally hate slopers but can climb a chimney better than Rich anyday ;0P

I'm not very fond of chimneys, have managed to get stuck in them quite a few times, especially when leading with all my gear in the way. Had lots of fun leading Demo Route in Sennen last summer... No idea how I managed to get up it, thought I was going to be in that chimney forever! (It's getting better though, I'm becoming less claustrofobic)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...