UKC

Garhb Coire bothy - any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fishy1 05 Feb 2009
Planning on skiing out there then doing some climbing this weekend. But is the bothy any good at all? I know it's not the most luxurious place, but is it watertight? Sleeping platforms? A fireplace? Easy to find, could snow cover it completely? Cheers
In reply to fishy1:

no it's not easy to find, there's no sleeping platforms or a fire place, and i wouldn't say it 100% water tight (take a bivvy bag) but if you do find it and stay i it then you'll love it.

r.s.
In reply to fishy1: I assume you mean GC 'bothy', Braeriach? It is not a bothy as such. It's more a pile of stones with a sort of half weathertight lining for the roof. Would fit two if you're not much more than 6 foot tall I'd estimate. You can only crouch inside. Sleeping platforms? Fireplace? don't make me laugh.

Snow could cover it completely. Bring a tent, because even if you find it that's a better option.
In reply to fishy1:

how did you get on with the hurting?!
 Myr 05 Feb 2009
In reply to fishy1:
I had a look this summer and it was definitely not watertight, in fact there were some quite big holes in the doorway area. Take bivi bags and a shovel. It's fairly easy to find but snow could probably drift over it. I think it's 6 or 7ft high.
 chris_s 05 Feb 2009
In reply to fishy1:

> is it watertight?
No
> Sleeping platforms?
No
> A fireplace?
Ha!
> could snow cover it completely?
Yes

Why not stay at the Corrour bothy instead? Would be a lot more comfortable
 OMR 05 Feb 2009
In reply to fishy1: Certainly wouldn't recommend staying there - especially with Corrour just round the corner - but if you do go there it'll almost certainly not be buried. It was built on a rise where the snow will be scoured rather than deposited.
Having said that ... take a wee bag of coal and go to Corrour, and actually enjoy your stay.
 The brainn 05 Feb 2009
In reply to fishy1: Thanks for telling me where your going cause I know to stay well clear of there. Cheers keep it up. Have a nice day. Remember to collect the key.

AlXN 05 Feb 2009
In reply to fishy1:

Don't listen to them all. They're just trying to put you off. It's a palace: wooden floor, double-glazed windows, solar heating, 'smart' hhuman waste disposal. The only thing is, you have to book it in person with the guardian, who lives in a cave half way up the Devil's Point, and he's a surly fellow. :=)
 Andy Nisbet 05 Feb 2009
In reply to dan bailey:
> Would fit two if you're not much more than 6 foot tall I'd estimate. You can only crouch inside. Sleeping platforms? Fireplace? don't make me laugh.

We had to fit 12 in it when folk kept arriving in a blizzard (April 1978). The last two were going to die if we hadn't let them in
 The brainn 05 Feb 2009
In reply to Andy Nisbet: Why have you never wrote a book the stories you could tell plus you'd make a few quid!!!!!!!!!!
Geoffrey Michaels 05 Feb 2009
 The brainn 05 Feb 2009
In reply to Donald M: Just as I remember it. The left side(facing out) leaks more than the right.
 Wibble Wibble 05 Feb 2009
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Good skills, we slept 7 in it and that was pretty unpleasant.
Mark Phillips 05 Feb 2009
In reply to fishy1: I spent a night in it a few weeks ago. Wooden platform on floor, quite weathertight. Small front door off its hinges, laying outside but at the time due to wind direction this wasn't critical and was sheltered inside.If the wind blows UP the corrie would be dire,I imagine. The entrance is small though and can be blocked (more or less) with a couple of rucsacs. Any volunteers for a work party to repair the door? It would be a shame to loose this place, I see in the latest Cairngorm guide there are hints at its possible demolition. Don't!
 AlXN 05 Feb 2009
In reply to Mark Phillips:

I can't see the point of demolishing it... unless, of course, folk have got into trouble finding it, as is likely, when it's buried in snow.

(Mind you, we even once found the Hutchinson memorial hut completely concealed, from the direction of our approach - the loch A'an side- by a large drift).
 Gav M 05 Feb 2009

> Any volunteers for a work party to repair the door? It would be a shame to loose this place, I see in the latest Cairngorm guide there are hints at its possible demolition. Don't!

I second that, and was similarly disturbed when I read that line in the book. A work party would be a worthy way to pass a spring weekend - just don't bring too many folk or there'll be nowhere to sleep!

Andy, can you let us know who wants to demolish it? I would like to try talking them out of it.

I have a soft spot for the place after passing a night there when skitouring a few years ago. To the op - don't listen to the detractors, the place is perfectly adequate.

Gav M 05 Feb 2009
In reply to Donald M:

Donald, there appears to be a midget inside the bothy in your photo.
Geoffrey Michaels 05 Feb 2009
In reply to the real dr gav:

I was only 2 at the time.
 Neil Anderson 05 Feb 2009
In reply to fishy1: If you've never stayed there. well worth the experience, but be prepared for an out there night as it is basic...especially if others head there 4 is ok 6 at a push ( 12 what a night Andy!)

Please - don't demolish it

Please - fix the door - MBA ?

Please - write the book Mr Nisbet.
 Doug 06 Feb 2009
> ...Any volunteers for a work party to repair the door? It would be a shame to loose this place, I see in the latest Cairngorm guide there are hints at its possible demolition. Don't!

The hut was built by the Lairig Club (Aberdeen Uni), probably early 70s. It was renovated by the same club in the 80s and maybe at other times. Maybe the current club members might want to be involved ?

I've stayed there a few times, but not in recent years, including one winter night with 5 which seemed pretty crowded

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...