UKC

DMM Torque Nuts!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JezH 06 Feb 2009
I've been doing some research into the new torque nuts and I think they're a brilliant idea. I imagine they offer valuble savings on weight so allow you to carry more gear on your rack. And the camming effect means much more placements are available so they might even replace more than one piece of gear.

On the other hand I suppose only having four sizes would mean you run out faster than when using more standard hexes, which could leave you in trouble if you've no other gear available and need some protection.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
In reply to JezH:

All I can say is that I cant wait to get some.
 nz Cragrat 06 Feb 2009
In reply to JezH:

> On the other hand I suppose only having four sizes would mean you run out faster than when using more standard hexes, which could leave you in trouble if you've no other gear available and need some protection.
>
> Anyone have any other thoughts?

only that I don't remember when I last used a hex... certainly never in the months and months that I have spent at Arapiles, Yosemite over the ages...
OP JezH 06 Feb 2009
In reply to nz Cragrat: well I don't suppose it's a problem for you at all then is it.
 nz Cragrat 06 Feb 2009
In reply to JezH:

no but I guess the same thing would apply if you had some of those Omega Pacific Link cams....

http://www.omegapac.com/op_products_linkcams.html

how many do you buy?
OP JezH 06 Feb 2009
In reply to nz Cragrat: If I could afford them...a lot. Unfortunately they're not an option in the near future.
 TobyA 06 Feb 2009
In reply to JezH:

> On the other hand I suppose only having four sizes would mean you run out faster than when using more standard hexes, which could leave you in trouble if you've no other gear available and need some protection.

It doesn't take a genius to realise you could buy more than one of each size.
 Swig 06 Feb 2009
In reply to JezH:

You could carry 2 sets.
 Swig 06 Feb 2009
In reply to TobyA:

Good point!
OP JezH 06 Feb 2009
In reply to TobyA: Yes, but money can be an issue for some I'm afraid
OP JezH 06 Feb 2009
In reply to TobyA: but thanks for your help
 beardy mike 07 Feb 2009
In reply to JezH: If you have no money you'd still only be able to buy 4 hexes?
In reply to JezH:

I'd be interested in understanding if these really are significantly different to Rockcentrics as mine are getting towards replacement time. However, based on the info out there today I'm not convinced they're a massive improvement...

Both have camming effects - and at first glance the overall shapes are similar so I can't immediately see a big difference there.

Torque nut weights are 54-146g (size 1-4) vs 54-156g (Size 4-9). There are no sizes in the DMM catologue so I've just compared sizes by eye. So there's no striking weight saving per item.

The claim of a covering a 'wide size range' may be fair enough but, since they're pretty much the same shape as Rockcentrics are they actually any better in this respect? I only take 4 rockcentrics on my rack anyway...

The main 'improvements' that I can see are:

Recessed faces to protect the sling (though that's never been a problem with my rockcentrics)

doubled slings to give 2 length options.

I'm beginning to suspect that what we'll have here is another Rock vs Wallnut comparison - both are extremely similar, good bits of kit without an obvious winner.

It'll be interesting to see some reviews and opinions when they eventually appear...

Al Evans 07 Feb 2009
In reply to Different Steve: Are they better than Tricams?
In reply to Al Evans:

Ah, now you're asking!
In reply to JezH:

Any news on when they are available to buy?
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Different Steve) Are they better than Tricams?

Great kit for winter fun!
 Owain Young 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Al Evans:
Nothing is better than a tricam!
 jkarran 09 Feb 2009
In reply to JezH:

> (In reply to TobyA) Yes, but money can be an issue for some I'm afraid

If money is that tight why not cut some big nuts from scrap aluminium scafold/pipe?

jk
 Gilly McArthur 09 Feb 2009
In reply to torbaytradclimber: They should be available in stores for March and will cost the princely sum of £45 for the set.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...