UKC

Suggestions for a welsh gully Tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 A Downing 14 Feb 2009
Any suggestions for a winter gully tomorrow. Went and did Banana gully on Y Garn last weekend and enjoyed it. Looking for something similar for tomorrow but preferably a little harder. Bit concerned that the conditions will have deteriorated and that the day would be better spent on Peak grit.

Cheers

Andy
 David Hooper 14 Feb 2009
In reply to A Downing:

Not saying conditions will be good - but your best bet would probably be Trinity Face I reckon - even if thawing, the neve holds a lot of latent cold that helps it take a time to stip off - early start would be good though.
petejh 14 Feb 2009
In reply to David Hooper: A few things may still be just about in - Parsley Fern or you could do a bunch of the easier gullies in Cwm Cneifion - Tower, Nameless, Corner, Easy and Hidden if it's in - that's potentially about 700m of possible gully bashing in one cwm! Or Trinity Face as the other poster said. Early start makes a lot of sense if you want to maximise the chance of finding some hard snow.
 overexposure 15 Feb 2009
In reply to petejh:

Parsley Fern was soft but climbable yesterday. Limted ice left to play or and certainly no neve, only melting snow.

Grib Goch slushy, underfoot, tracks of less than a dozen people yesteday. Couldn't see any ice in Sargeants. Feels milder today, and raining.
 JohnIsard 15 Feb 2009
In reply to A Downing: The Ramp at Cwm Idwal was climbable on Friday with about 3m missing near the top. THe Screen was also climbable but very wet. However by Sunday the main pitch of The Ramp was looking very ragged and THe Screen had mostly fallen down.
On Sunday we ascended Parsley Fern LH and descended the RH gully. However Charlie's Collaboration to the right looked OK. Also there was a good ice fall to the left (possibly Sinister Gully).
 Banned User 77 15 Feb 2009
In reply to JohnIsard: Was up at 2000ft tonight and it was very warm, I had 2 thermals on, one very thin, and I was over heating, nice night.
 Mr Fuller 15 Feb 2009
In reply to A Downing: Was looking at doing Trinity face this weekend and there's basically no snow of any use. All of Snowdonia's thawed out loads so we did the Snowdon Horseshoe instead, carrying a full rack, ropes, twin axes...

I would be very surprised if there's anything in - it was extremely warm all weekend (evenings you walk to the pub without sticking much). Devil's Kitchen was out as well - all ice either thin or gone.
 Mr Fuller 15 Feb 2009
In reply to Mr Fuller: Oh, and by the way - whoever it was who picked up two students on Saturday walking from Pen y Pass to Llanberis, thanks very much!
Removed User 15 Feb 2009
In reply to A Downing:

Ahhh, Banana Gully, my first ever winter climb. 1996/97 I think.

Not really a good representation of winter "climbing" though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...