UKC

OI NEWS: New Bouldering Wall in Leeds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 16 Feb 2009
NOW OPEN - City Bloc, is a new bouldering wall in Leeds City Centre. It hosts over 600m2 of bouldering and has a dedicated training area with a 50 degree fixed hold training board and a campus board.

Read More: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=1639

OI NEWS is Outdoor Industry News at UKClimbing.com
 Lemony 16 Feb 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: It's really very good.

Problems are extremely varied, logical and interesting. Boards are at all angles and there are amenable problems even on the most extreme of them. Good stamina traverses down one wall. Good temperature, though what it's like in summer remains to be seen.

My only problem with it is that they had the same CD on loop for two hours when we were there but that's really the skaters fault I think.
Yorkspud 16 Feb 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Any featured bouldering - as opposed to bolt-on only?

will go and look for myself
 Lemony 16 Feb 2009
In reply to Yorkspud: Nope, bolt on only.
 carl dawson 16 Feb 2009
In reply to Lemony:

Despite the lack of features, you'll probably find it surprisingly enjoyable... maybe because the problems are intelligently set and don't consist of endlessly annoying 'wrong-handedness', with no massive reaches as a substitute for difficulty and no footholds positioned to exclude all but genetic high-steppers. This was today's pleasant conclusion, working through the grades up to Hard; (maybe things get quirkly once beyond that).

You don't actually need a skateboard or BMX to get in although I did feel very old in the queue. The toilets probably only get a one flush rating and the cafe, despite very comfy-looking settees, would tempt me more if the coffee came as a latte rather than an acrid stew.

Despite these minor carpings (I like my comforts), an excellent effort from City Bloc. I felt well tired (and satisfied rather than despondent) after an hour and a half... value for money, indeed.

Carl
 Lemony 16 Feb 2009
In reply to carl dawson: 100% agree, I was operating more at the punter end of the scale but was very impressed by how natural and logical many of the problems felt and one or two were just tremendous fun (on the Blue circuit in particular I remember some great moves).
 Lemony 16 Feb 2009
In reply to carl dawson: Oh and I didn't check out the Caff but agree that the toilets were a bit on the grim side.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...