UKC

car help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RockAngel 17 Feb 2009
help!!
My car wont start. its a toyota corolla and it wont start. I last drove it on friday and it was fine. Ive tried a jump start from my mum's car but nothing whatsoever is happening. can anyone help with useful ideas? What can it be?
 wilkie14c 17 Feb 2009
In reply to RockAngel:
Aye up!
how are you doing? Been away, I'll send you details later....
Right, Is the engine 'Turning' over when you crank the key? If it isn't are you getting a 'click' noise?
 rossowen 17 Feb 2009
In reply to RockAngel: If it's not doing anything it sounds like it could be your starter motor, or the connection to your starter motor. I'd check the connection first by just pulling it off and reconnecting it.
Blue 17 Feb 2009
In reply to RockAngel: For the car to start you need fuel, a spark, and power to the starter to turn it over.

If it's not turning over and it's a battery issue(any lights will be dim, central locking may not work).... connect jump leads. If it still doesn't turn over, leave the other cars engine running at idle, jump leads connected, and wait 15 mins. Jump leads are normally too weak to carry enough power to turn the other car over, unless the faulty car has some residual power in the battery. 15 mins will allow your battery to charge a bit, then the leads from the other car will do the rest.

If it still won't turn over, do you hear anything? You may hear a clicking. What can happen is the solenoid which connects the starter to the engine is stuck in place. Rocking/moving the car forward and backward a couple of feet, when in gear should clear it. Then try the jump leads again.

P.s. When you try to start your car, there is NO advantage in revving the other car, which you often see people do.

If this fails, tell us what happened.
OP RockAngel 17 Feb 2009
In reply to blanchie14c: nothing happens. the lights and the clock on the dash come on but there is no clicking from the enginge at all when i try to turn the key. (
OP RockAngel 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Blue: Have tried leaving it attached via jump leads to the other car then trying it but it stil didnt work. My Dad says that the wire to the starter motor may have come off, but there is a major problem with this, which is i don't know where the starter motor is, to check.

What is a solenoid? by the way the car is an automatic.
OP RockAngel 17 Feb 2009
In reply to blanchie14c: are you going sledging? i didnt get a chance to last time it snowed, again, because i had a cold, again.
 wilkie14c 17 Feb 2009
In reply to RockAngel:
The light on the inside of the car - does it dim when you turn the engine? If so it indicates a simple flat battery (often not worth charging if its more than 2 years old)
If it isn't the battery it will be something more complex - Imobilizer, Starter motor etc
My bet is the battery if you've not used the car for a few days. This time of year highlights the battery's weaknesses - headlights on, de-misters on, heater on etc and the battery never gets fully charged.
Shops round here do a 'you ring - we bring' service. If you flutter your eyelashes you may get the fellow to fit it for you for the price of a brew.....
In reply to RockAngel: Have you checked that someone hasn't nicked the engine?!

Just a thought, but if you get breakdown cover today (I am assuming you don't already have it) then after 24 hours you can call them up and they will come out and sort it for you. I can recommend First Call GB Ltd. very cheap and excellent service. I have had to use them twice and both times out in about an hour. I think they use local firms rather than their own fleet.
I think that I pay about £40 for the year, which includes home start.
OP RockAngel 17 Feb 2009
In reply to blanchie14c: yes, the lights fade when i turn the key. Ive had problems with the battery last year and one of my xmas pressies was a set of jump leads! Am looking at local places now for prices and also the garage that did my mot. and will definately be fluttering my eyelashes to get someone to fit it for me.
OP RockAngel 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Matt Bill Platypus: am thinking of doing this, but will have to wait a few weeks as im skint and can barely afford a new battery if i dont eat next week.
Blue 17 Feb 2009
In reply to RockAngel: When the lights come on, are they full brightness, do the headlights work fully? If they don't, then it's likely to be a battery issue. If the car seems to have full battery and all lights work fully, it could be an immobiliser issue(if the car has one).

If everythings looking good, no immobiliser fitted, won't turn over and NO noise when you turn the key(no click from under the bonnet), the next place I'd look is the solenoid, as they stick. WHat the solenoid does..... when you turn the key the solenoid is energised by the battery, it moves to engage the starter motor onto the flywheel(engine), as it moves it also works as a switch to put electricity to the starter motor. When you release the key after the engine starts the solenoid(it's an electro magnet), moves back to disengage the starter motor from the engine and at the same time cuts off the electricity to the starter motor.

If you try to start a car with a flat battery, the solenoid can move and then get stuck part way as it doesn't have the energy to fully fully enagage. This is when moving the car a few feet, in gear can release it. I've had to hit the solenoid assembly with a hammer or wheel brace in the past to clear it. Then, you need a fully charged battery, or partially charged + jump leads and the car should start.

It could be a lead has corroded or chaffed / broken. You need more than an internet forum to help with that though. Mechanically minded friend is best bet.

PS. If you've run the battery fully flat in the past, and you've done it again recently, it could be the battery is totally nackered. They really don't like it.

wilkie14c 17 Feb 2009
In reply to RockAngel:
mmmm posible but wires don't just 'come off'
Trouble is with your automatic, you can't 'bump' start autos....
Look on the battery - see a thick lead bolted to the pos terminal + it will go to the starter motor and be bolted to that. Battery one end, starter the other, simple as....
Automatics also have another feature - the inhibitor - you know the one where you can't start the engine if its in gear? Possible to be a fault with that too. Doubt it though, my money is on the battery.
No snow for sledging, missed the boat it seems. Will go out for a walk instead.
Afterthought - Easiest way to confirm battery, use Mum's or a freinds battery on your car. By that I mean actually unbolt yours and the other and actually fit it to your car. Jump leads don't carry too much current. Make sure your battery donor knows the 'unlock' code for their radio if applicable first though!
Blue 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Blue:

TOOK me so long to type reply, Rockangel posted again. If lights dim when you turn the key - Flat Battery Issue!! Try jump leads to 15 mins, then start.
 wilkie14c 17 Feb 2009
In reply to blanchie14c:
Ring a local car breakers yard or 'scrappie' as once was known! Lay on sob story and explain you just need a newish battery - bet you'll get one for £20. Fitting it? Preverbial piece of piss. A clamp that holds it in place and 2 terminals......
The more you saying, the more it sounds like battery.
OP RockAngel 17 Feb 2009
In reply to blanchie14c: you can stop taking the mickey now. I know im pretty dense when it comes to car engines now. I used to flipping service taxis (cars not cabs) but that was a long, long time ago and they worry me now. think i would prefer a new battery if possible.
 wilkie14c 17 Feb 2009
In reply to RockAngel:
Well a scrappie will tie you over for a bit if you're skint, a new one would be around 50 squids....
If you can service a cab, you have nothing to fear from changing a battery!
Off home now - been in work. Good luck, let me know how you get on!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...