UKC

NEWS: Tyler Landman: A New Level!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 03 Mar 2009
[Tyler Landman - North Wales 2008, 3 kb]

Top British boulderer, Tyler Landman is currently enjoying an impressive run of form on the sandstone boulders of France's Fontainebleau. Landman has repeated numerous top-end test-pieces with perhaps the most impressive ascent so far being the first repeat of Sebastien Frigault's Satan I Helvete Assis, FB8C at Coquibus Longs Vaux.

With this particular ascent Landman feels that he has moved on to a new level in his personal climbing achievement.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=46293
In reply to UKC News: Sounds fantastic. Can someone help, what does the B stand for in FB8C?
 Niall Grimes 03 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News: If you go to the Moon site, Tyler's blog always makes fantastic reading.

'Time to satch it up.'
 James Oswald 03 Mar 2009
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:
FB = FOuntainebleau
That was an astounding effort from him.
Has he any intentions of doing any other forms of climbing? Or has he done already?
James
In reply to james oswald: FB = Fontainebleau Boulder Grade.

It's used to differentiate it from the french sport grade.
In reply to Alasdair Fulton and James Oswald:
> (In reply to james oswald) FB = Fontainebleau Boulder Grade.
>
> It's used to differentiate it from the french sport grade.

Cool, thanks for info.
 Adam Lincoln 03 Mar 2009
In reply to james oswald:

More specifically, F - Fontainbleau B - Bouldering.
 James Oswald 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:
Ah ok!
 Wee Davie 03 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News:

He's obviously one of the top few boulderers in the world, but what I like is the 'semi- pedalling' footwork I have seen him use on a few top outs.
It adds character to these vids!
 James_D 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Niall Grimes:

along the same vein, "but I knew I could unleash the fury." made me grin a bit.
 220bpm 03 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News: Amazing. Imagine what the lad could do if he learned to tie his shoelaces
 cheque 03 Mar 2009
Inspirational. He has incredible technique and I feel like I learnt a lot from just watching the video!

From the article:

-After his ascent Tyler wrote on the Moonblog:

"...Thirteen years of dedication, discipline and determination..."

...Tyler is still only 18 years old...-

He started climbing at five? And has been dedicated, disciplined and determined the whole time?

Wow. His parents must be climbers, right?
 benj_d 03 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Any anyone name the Artist and the Track of the music on the video. I will give you 10 points...
In reply to MikeCheque: Tyler's dad climbs but only started after Tyler and older brother Jeff had got into climbing.
 Adam Lincoln 03 Mar 2009
In reply to benj_d:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Any anyone name the Artist and the Track of the music on the video. I will give you 10 points...

Its Race:in by the battles. Albumis Mirrored.
 benj_d 03 Mar 2009
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Well done Adam! You even named the album too.

Oh yeah, and more to the point. Tyler is a brilliant climber and very inspirational.
 alx 03 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News: Amazing effort.
On a different note, will 2009 see a font 9a?
 James Oswald 03 Mar 2009
In reply to alx:
Depends if someone puts the effort in.
James
 Adam Lincoln 03 Mar 2009

In reply to alx:
I think we are hitting a ceiling, or at least getting there. I think sport routes will continue to go up for a little while yet though.
 john howard 1 03 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News: Inspiring stuff
 telemarker 03 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Very strong work, just makes me want to get out and climb
 James Oswald 03 Mar 2009
That's exactly what Sharma said the other day. However with this surge of hard bouldering I think things will continue to improve if someone puts the effort in.
James
 Adam Lincoln 03 Mar 2009
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
> That's exactly what Sharma said the other day.

What can i say, great minds
 James Oswald 03 Mar 2009
Pity you're not quite up to his standard at climbing :P
 Adam Lincoln 03 Mar 2009
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
> Pity you're not quite up to his standard at climbing :P

Errr... Good point!
 James Oswald 03 Mar 2009
:P
Haha
 seagull 04 Mar 2009

I don't get the logic. Tyler feels he has reached a new level and the evidence is there. If someone can piss 8C in a few tries then the possibility for them to do something considerably harder with a bit of time and effort is real. And these aren't Swiss grades either!

James Oswald 04 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News:
His footwork is very pedally in that video.
 GrahamD 04 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News:

Do people find these bouldering videos inspirational ? Intelectually I know that the climbing must be incredibly hard, but shots of hands on hips beanie clad people watching someone levitate a 4m lump of sandstone is not reallt an inspiration, is it ? If I showed that video to anyone who didn't climb I'm sure their reaction would be "what's the point in that ?". No 'wow' factor for the spectators.

Heresy over. I'll go and burn in hell now.
 Strife 04 Mar 2009
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Do people find these bouldering videos inspirational ? Intelectually I know that the climbing must be incredibly hard, but shots of hands on hips beanie clad people watching someone levitate a 4m lump of sandstone is not reallt an inspiration, is it ? If I showed that video to anyone who didn't climb I'm sure their reaction would be "what's the point in that ?". No 'wow' factor for the spectators.
>
> Heresy over. I'll go and burn in hell now.

Each to their own. Besides, there's hardly a 'wow factor' in watching people trad climb either.
 jl100 04 Mar 2009
In reply to GrahamD: Climbing isn't a good spectator sport unless you climb and can apprieciate whats going on. Alpinism, trad, sport are all equally boring for someone who doesn't climb. Cant you just let people do what they enjoy? Different people like different things, how worthwhile it is doesn't depend on how exiting it is to watch.
 neil the weak 04 Mar 2009
In reply to JoeL 90:
> (In reply to GrahamD) Climbing isn't a good spectator sport unless you climb and can apprieciate whats going on. Alpinism, trad, sport are all equally boring for someone who doesn't climb.

Not sure about that actually. We run a number of climbing videos on big screens in the shop and a lot of non climbing customers come in to contact with them. The images which tend to make people stop and watch are things like deep water soloing, ice climbing and big alpine sections whereas bouldering movies generally get a brief glance and then abandoned. I think a non climber can appreciate exposure (and be gobsmacked by it) much more than someone grimacing just above a mat where the situation seems less impressive.
 GrahamD 04 Mar 2009
In reply to Strife:

I think there is something more of a wow factor in watching Dave Mc taking the fall on Rhapsody. As you say, each to their own.
 GrahamD 04 Mar 2009
In reply to JoeL 90:

I don't think I've said anything that says people shouldn't enjoy doing what they do, have I ? I was just questioning the 'inspirational' accolade being afforded the video footage - I doubt that a video like that (or any bouldering video I've seen come to that)would send the sales of beanies souring amongst the non converts.

I think with other climbing footage you can be impressed by the scale of the whole thing and the situation in a way its hard to do 4m off a forest floor outside Paris.
 GrahamD 04 Mar 2009
In reply to Alun:

Sorry, the thread started as a link to a video. Surely a a comment on the video is as much on topic as bouldering having reached a ceiling (not mentioned in the OP) ?

There is obviously a kind of thread where the only 'acceptable' response seems to be along the lines of "jolly good effort, what". I guess this is one of them.
 seagull 04 Mar 2009
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Alun)
>
>
> There is obviously a kind of thread where the only 'acceptable' response seems to be along the lines of "jolly good effort, what". I guess this is one of them.

Well no actually. Although that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing in this case as what Tyler has done so far on this trip is probably the greatest performance in Fontainebleau by anyone ever.

The discussion was actually heading towards being an interesting one about bouldering standards and why some people at the top of the sport see them reaching a plateau.

You chose to hijack it with the usual UKC cack slagging off bouldering in a thinly veiled manner when, as pointed out, you have a whole forum to do this to your heart's content.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Sorry but the video posts are on topic shirley.

Nice effort by Tyler by the way. Like the way he copies my topping out technique!
 James Oswald 04 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC News:
I wonder if he will move on an repeat Dave Graham's desperate looking roof The Island.
Is there any more desperate LGP in Font?
James
 Morgan Woods 04 Mar 2009
> (In reply to UKC News)
> I wonder if he will move on an repeat Dave Graham's desperate looking roof The Island.
> Is there any more desperate LGP in Font?
> James

it has already been repeated....but i know what you mean.
 James Oswald 04 Mar 2009
In reply to Morgan Woods:
Would still be being repeated though. :P
 Erik B 04 Mar 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I would be more isnpired watching the effort he put in before the final clean ascent, these short bouldering vids dont do the climber justice really
 Michael Ryan 04 Mar 2009
In reply to Erik B:

We get these videos for free. My view on this .. a great big thanks to Ben P for putting it together and sharing it with us.

My view on the video - I loved it, great to see someone on top form doing all those Font 8A's. Wish I had been as fit and proficient. I find it inspiring, not too bothered about quality, although on big screen and with my speakers it is fun to watch.

I'll pull extra hard tonight.

Cheers Tyler and look forward to hearing more about you.

Mick
 seagull 04 Mar 2009
In reply to Erik B:

Point is there was hardly any effort put into these ascents!

One was a flash and the other two were done in a couple of goes. To me the inspiring thing is that someone can make problems this hard look about 6A.

The fact that he is obviously climbing way within his abilities. If you look at the way he can rearrange on holds in positions which even most really strong climbers would have to hit perfectly, first time, to hold it is truly amazing.
 GrahamD 04 Mar 2009
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Erik B)
>
> We get these videos for free. My view on this .. a great big thanks to Ben P for putting it together and sharing it with us.

Are we allowed to speak about the video again, then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...