UKC

UV class 4 100% sunglasses - necessary?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AnnaSpanna 03 Mar 2009
Are these really necessary for a Mont Blanc topped fortnight in the Alps? will my Cat 3 sunnies do? No shops seem to sell them (illegal for driving in) - any ideas?
 MG 03 Mar 2009
In reply to AnnaSpanna:
> Are these really necessary for a Mont Blanc topped fortnight in the Alps? will my Cat 3 sunnies do?

Mine have always been fine for me.
 Frank4short 03 Mar 2009
In reply to AnnaSpanna: Your sunnies will be fine.
 Taba 03 Mar 2009
In reply to AnnaSpanna:

Got some cat 4's at tkmaxx the other day, they are apparently for playing volleyball but fit really nicely and have very low distortion. 10 quid.
 stevev 03 Mar 2009
In reply to AnnaSpanna: Cotswold outdoor do a widw range. mine were £30

Beware I sufferred for 10 days with a mild snowblindness from a few hours exposure without glasses while skiing in cloud at 2500m. I may be sensitive but it hurt a lot and my eyes were swollen and runny for a week.

MB is far higher and could be sunnier. For £30-£40 it's not worth spoiling your holiday
siisu 03 Mar 2009
In reply to AnnaSpanna:
I seem to remember that cat 3 can be used for about half a day in bright conditions without problems.
To overcome this on a long day, walk for an hour using your left eye. For the second hour use your right eye. Repeat through the day.
Cat 3s should be ok
 Mr Fuller 03 Mar 2009
In reply to AnnaSpanna: I've been fine for 6 hours on a glacier, 3500 metres, bright sun, in cat 3's. I was wearing a sunhat when not wearing a helmet, and this blocks a lot of glare. Remember the sunblock too.
 billy.grant 03 Mar 2009
In reply to AnnaSpanna: Get Cat 4. For prolonged exposure I'd want them. I used Oakleys for a couple of weeks in the Alps the first time I went and my eyes suffered a bit.
 Damo 03 Mar 2009
In reply to AnnaSpanna:

I've used Cat3 sunnies in Antarctica in summer for 60 days a year for the last seven years and my eyesight is great, never had a problem. But then I don't seem to get snowblind in situations where others might. My partner took his goggles off for no more than 2hrs in the shade this year and woke up blind at midnight.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...