UKC

Where to buy a house in North Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JMarkW 10 Mar 2009
Looking to buy a small place in North Wales, I know Llanberis is the place I guess if you are a climber (and I have a mate who lives there) but it always rains when just 15 mins drive west its sunny again.

Looking at places just south of Caernarfon but also thinking about Anglesey as well. Er' indoors is a keen sea kayaker so nearish the coast would be good although I guess anywhere in N Wales is near the coast I guess.

Any recommondations?

cheers
mark
Removed User 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman:

Menai Bridge is a nice village just onto Anglesey and near to Bangor for shopping etc. I'd live there if given the choice.

Dieniolen is a small village which is close to the Carneddau (SP?)and has a high "incomer" population which you may or may not appreciate.

I lived in Llanfairfechan for 3 yrs and liked it.

Don't expect everywhere to welcome you with open arms.
 Banned User 77 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Removed User: Menai Bridge is expensive but a lot of those places are. I lik Felinheli but again pricey.

Aber looks nice but tucked in the valley so no doubt cold.

I'd opt for Deiniolen, Clwyt Y Bont, Llanberis, Nant Peris area personally. A friendly area, loads of like minded people.

Not a big fan of angelsey. Especially inland it gets a bit rough.

Some lovely places down the Lleyn but once past Caernarfon there's more commuting. Depends where work is.
 Mike Peacock 11 Mar 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
>
>
> Not a big fan of angelsey. Especially inland it gets a bit rough.
>

Me neither. There are some lovely little villages is but large portions of it still seem quite grim and run down. Still, I suppose the same can be said for many parts of the north Wales coast.
 jezb1 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman: I've lived in and around Snowdonia for a while and the best place was out of the park itself - Great Orme at Llandudno.

Better weather, great views, loads of climbing/bouldering/paddling and still close to the hills. Llandudno itself is pretty nice too compared to some of the other towns.
 lowersharpnose 11 Mar 2009

How about renting a place for a year or so?

That would give time to test both the location and the idea that you would be able to make use of a second home enough to warrant parting with your cash.

lsn
 David Hooper 11 Mar 2009

We have a place at Pont Cyfyng close to Capel Curig - small friendly active community centred around the Tyn y Coed and various events at the community centre and idyllic scenery - jus far enough from 'beris to dip in and out of the "scene" when you want to. BUT much rainier than Llanberis and the coastal strip

Penmachno is a little gem of a village with an alternative/artisitc/outdoorsy population and property prices are cheaper but its a bit more remote.

Mike Peacock 11 Mar 2009
In reply to David Hooper: I always liked the idea of living in Capel. Reasonably central, decent pubs, nice size village. I expect it will never happen, but a man can dream!
 David Hooper 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Touching Centauri:
> (In reply to David Hooper) I always liked the idea of living in Capel. Reasonably central, decent pubs, nice size village. I expect it will never happen, but a man can dream!

Yep- keep dreaming and make it happen

I first visited Snowdonia on an evening class field trip from London back in approx. 1980 and decided on the spot I wanted to live there. Put the wheels in motion by coming to college in Liverpool in 82 and had close association with North Wales ever since

It is a dream come true for me - except the rain
 woolsack 11 Mar 2009
In reply to David Hooper:
>
>
> It is a dream come true for me - except the rain

It's good at raining there isn't it?
 gingerdave13 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman: when i was wandering about one weekend i noticed some houses for sale in Ryhd Ddu. Close enough to the action in snowdon and also on the right side for getting to the coast. Were at the right price to make it feasible. Although small and cottagy for weekend use only i wouldn't say it was an issue.
 Mike Peacock 11 Mar 2009
In reply to gingerdave13: Rhyd Ddu always seems quite pleasant, the only downside is the local pub; massively overpriced and with a miserable landlord.
 gingerdave13 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Touching Centauri: hmm, not actually been in the pub (shock).. but it did seem overpriced from the menu.

maybe yokels get a discount!?
 sutty 11 Mar 2009

Rhyd Ddu is almost all holiday cottages now I think so the local pub will charge incomers prices.
 gingerdave13 11 Mar 2009
In reply to sutty: shame that - as it's a nice little place.
 Mike Peacock 11 Mar 2009
In reply to sutty: I don't object to paying a bit over the odds for a pint in a touristy place, but the Cwellyn Arms is ridiculous (even when compared to the PYG Inn, Betws, Capel, etc).

I try to avoid the place. Came down off the Nantlle Ridge a few summers back on a sweltering day and bought some pints. The landlord wouldn't even give us any free water with them!
 Mark Storey 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Touching Centauri: We camped on the Pub campsite last week. Landlord was friendly enough and he's invested a lot in the Campsite and Bunk house - unusual for Wales. He passed print outs of the weather forecast around the Pub. Nice touch I thought. Beer was expensive at £3.00, but this seems to be the going rate in north Wales tourist traps. Can't comment on the food though.
Hth
Mark
 Mike Peacock 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Mark Storey: Can't recall what the price of a pint of ale was last time I was in, but Stella was almost £4. Maybe the landlord has cheered up, but I can remember a few threads on here where people had various gripes about his unfriendliness.
 Bruce Hooker 11 Mar 2009

> The landlord wouldn't even give us any free water with them!

Now, now, don't exagerate... it was probably simply because he'd already put it in the beer!
 osh 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Touching Centauri: One of the worst pubs I have ever been to. The whole place (especially the beer garden) is run down, and the price of drinks is a joke.
In reply to sutty: Rhydd Dhu is also quite isolated. The advantage of the Llanberis area is you are only 10-15 minutes from the A55 and civilisation.

Capel is quite central but I have no idea what it's like. Nant is OK, not the friendliest village really and also lacks much of a community due to their being nothing there. I like living in Nant but that's largely to do with llanberis being nearby where we have friends and also it has more going on. Not sure I'd live in llanberis unless up the back though. nant is maybe too insular, a few odd people.

Places like Waufawr, Bethel just don't appeal either.

The anti-english issue is not an issue at all when you live here, possibly Pen Y Groes or nearer C'fon it maybe, but so far I've not experienced any.

We looked at llanfairfechan and Aber, close to the A5 and right on the Carneddau but you pay more due to the location.

If I did live on Anglsey it would be in the E corner, Beamaris, Penmon, Llandonna region, some lovely villages around there.
wilf1 11 Mar 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
We have a place in Cwm Y Glo, about 1.5 miles from Llanberis and 3.5 miles from C'fon. We go there when we can and always meet new and friendly people.
The people in the village are absolutely brilliant. The pub (Y Fricsan)is very friendly. Ted, the landlord is the least 'grumpiest' person you could meet.
Mrs Wilf is up there this week and she's met loads of new people ('locals') been invited to more parties than she has time to go to.
There's a bakery to get your daily bread from, the Caban is just across the road..............
Good lord I can go on for ages..........

W
In reply to wilf1: We looked at a few houses in Cwm y Glo, some mates lived out the back, up towards Bryn Bas and they liked it.
wilf1 11 Mar 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
It has to be the friendliest place I've ever lived, even though it's only on a part time basis.
We know more people in Y Fricsan than we do in any pub around Northampton, Thats because people just talk to each other.

When if there was work up there, we'd be moving up there in a heartbeat.

W
 Ian McNeill 11 Mar 2009

down on the Rhinog coast .... or Holyhead = Gogarth and lots of surfing / sea kayaking and opportunities for work ....
OP JMarkW 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Ian McNeill:

Thanks everyone - some good info there.

cheers
mark
Jonno 11 Mar 2009

I wouldn't go into north Gwynedd. Ask John Redhead ! Despite the mountains,the communities.... Blaenau Ffestiniog,Bethesda,Caernarfon, Llanberis are economically depressed and on the rough side.Caernarfon is near the top of the table for child abuse, drug use etc.
Anglesey. Lovely coast, boring mainland + the usual north Gwynedd social problems.

If I were moving right now within Wales I'd consider the Conwy Valley, south Snowdonia eg Aberdovey area..Mawddach Estuary or the Lleyn Peninsular. Abersoch is expensive but Morfa Nefyn and Trefor are cheaper.
 Mike Peacock 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Jonno: People get offended when I say I'm not a big fan of Llanberis. Some of it always seem a bit run down, the pubs have never felt particularly welcoming, and it really hasn't capitalised on its location.

Caernarfon always seems rough. My first experience of it was getting off a bus there and nearly getting beaten up because some chav thought I was gay (and I was with my girlfriend at the time!).

Speaking of the Conwy Valley, I've heard tales of Llanwrst being rough on Friday and Saturday nights. But they may well just be that; tales.
Jonno 11 Mar 2009
>
>
> Speaking of the Conwy Valley, I've heard tales of Llanwrst being rough on Friday and Saturday nights. But they may well just be that; tales.>>

They're certainly not tales !!! We used to take kids to a centre near Llanrwst. Arriving late we would head for the late night Spar on the square to add to our provisions. We would lock to kids in the minibus to watch the local wildlife knock seven bells out of each other and the fuzz while we would make a mad dash between sorties to reach Spar without getting bottled on the way.

I remember a Jim Perrin tale about John Barry who lived in Llanrwst and noticing a big dent in his motor. 'Oh..had to ram a local deadbeats head into it last night'.

I imagine it's still rough but I only go in daylight now !

Keith Jones 11 Mar 2009
I think most of the towns seem rough at weekends. You find that the youngsters from the "sticks" who are old enough to be served booze go to get plastered and the rest drive around in their rally cars making a big noise.
In reply to Touching Centauri: LLanwrst is rough. Never liked it.

North Gwynedd has its issues and Llanberis has poor pubs, but generally it's very friendly, almost every terrace will have climbers, meeting people is so easy. I don't think I've ever had so many acquaintences/friends as I do now. For example if I go to Pizza and a pint or the beacon it's rare I don't meet at least one person I know, but normally a fair few.

Economically it has always suffered, conwy valley or North Wales coast has always been more prosperous
 Mike Raine 11 Mar 2009
In reply to wilf1:

Can't stay that way if it becomes full of second homes though can it. One in my row in the village and one across the road, both empty vast majority of the time. Second homes are not a good thing folks, there's enough empty club huts around join a club and use that facility
In reply to Mike Raine:
> (In reply to wilf1)
>
Second homes are not a good thing folks, there's enough empty club huts around join a club and use that facility

Why are club huts any better though?

Our village suffers on both accounts but our family has a holiday home in NE Scotland. NOt bought as such, sister lived there, she moved on and it's not worth selling so we've held on. Holiday homes have been a large factor keeping the property market in this area quite healthy. It seems North Wales wants the economic benefits of holiday homes without the negatives.
 Sl@te Head 11 Mar 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> Holiday homes have been a large factor keeping the property market in this area quite healthy. It seems North Wales wants the economic benefits of holiday homes without the negatives.

A Healthy property market? It's these inflated house prices due to Holiday Homes that have kept some hard working locals off the property ladder!

In reply to Sl@te Head: Also the same 'inflated' prices (which aren't, still depressed nationally), which have allowed local people to move else where and buy something!

It can be a +ve or a -ve, never black and white as people want it.
 Sl@te Head 11 Mar 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to ian Ll-J) Also the same 'inflated' prices (which aren't, still depressed nationally), which have allowed local people to move else where and buy something!
>
> It can be a +ve or a -ve, never black and white as people want it.

I'm not going to argue as you may be a neighbour soon...after a property in Nant
 sutty 11 Mar 2009
In reply to IainRUK:

Council houses built for locals then the right to buy let them sell them on at a good profit;

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/359929

So, the people to blame for the denuding of villages are the greedy locals, stopping other local people from living there.
In reply to Sl@te Head:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
> I'm not going to argue as you may be a neighbour soon...after a property in Nant

At the back of me? House for sale at the back of the old post office, looks a nice place.

Sl@te Head 11 Mar 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to ian Ll-J)
> [...]
>
> At the back of me? House for sale at the back of the old post office, looks a nice place.

Ystrad, down the narrow lane....
In reply to sutty: Exactly it works both ways. The same locals who complain, then inherit/purchase houses and sell on to holiday homes themselves. If we sell I'd love to sell to a young couple who will live in the area, but I know economics will prevail. I have strong principles, but 20k less on an asking price and suddenly those principles will no doubt dissapear
In reply to Sl@te Head: Yeah, we live in the old terraces at the front. I'm on the far right, nr the beginning of the terrace. We were going to be nosy and have a viewing but haven't bothered. To busy building on this place.
 Sl@te Head 11 Mar 2009
In reply to IainRUK: Needs a lot of work but the end result could be great.
In reply to Sl@te Head: Stunning place to live. It'll be a real shame to ever leave this place. It's not perfect, a bit of a strange place at times, but most people are lovely. I know my end of the terrace better and get on well with everyone. John Redhead didn't take to Nant, but as long as you realise that there is little community, apart from the pub, it's fine.

There's also no direct sun our side for a good 4 months of the year, but that's quite funny, when that sun finally drops onto the house in february it's party time. You look with envy on houses up the north side of the valley, bathed in sun light, while we still live in frost..

I'd reccommend living here. No crime, no issues.

The only real issue is what will happen to the old PO.

Oh beware the winds..
 Sl@te Head 11 Mar 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> The only real issue is what will happen to the old PO.
>
What are the issues with the PO? Future development?
Can't be worse than a 55 Acre retail development in your back garden.... that's why we're moving from LlanfairPG

Banned User 77 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Sl@te Head: Long story. At the moment repeated applications go in for redevelopment. Looking like he wants to rebuild most into flats ( that would be in character) main issue seems to be locals don't want DSS kids in the village. Anyway emailed you.
Anglesey Pete 12 Mar 2009

> Me neither. There are some lovely little villages is but large portions of it still seem quite grim and run down. Still, I suppose the same can be said for many parts of the north Wales coast.

Having moved here from Liverpool, holyhead high street doesn't seem to be any worse than 'scotty road'.

tobyfk 12 Mar 2009
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to ian Ll-J) Also the same 'inflated' prices (which aren't, still depressed nationally), which have allowed local people to move else where and buy something!
>
> It can be a +ve or a -ve, never black and white as people want it.

An interesting consequence of this economic downturn may be that people choose to live in their second homes and ditch their first homes, as the high-paying jobs that were keeping them in urban areas evaporate.

tobyfk 12 Mar 2009
> Looking to buy a small place in North Wales, I know Llanberis is the place I guess if you are a climber (and I have a mate who lives there) but it always rains when just 15 mins drive west its sunny again.
> Looking at places just south of Caernarfon but also thinking about Anglesey as well. Er' indoors is a keen sea kayaker so nearish the coast would be good although I guess anywhere in N Wales is near the coast I guess.
> Any recommondations?

Western Canada?
 Ian McNeill 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Sl@te Head:

You should come down the Cambrian coast -- what with this development things are going to develop for the better

http://www.cambria-centre.co.uk/

plus the climates a whole lot warmer ... and plenty of un-climbed rock

and the redevelopment of Llanbedr airport and the St Davids hotel complex..

Beaches easy to walk to Rhinogs a little further inland !!!

Sl@te Head 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Ian McNeill:
> (In reply to ian Ll-J)
>
> You should come down the Cambrian coast -- what with this development things are going to develop for the better
>
> http://www.cambria-centre.co.uk/
>
> plus the climates a whole lot warmer ... and plenty of un-climbed rock
>
> and the redevelopment of Llanbedr airport and the St Davids hotel complex..
>
> Beaches easy to walk to Rhinogs a little further inland !!!

It would be one long commute to Llandudno for work!
PS Are you feeling better?
wilf1 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Mike Raine:

I am a member of a club and I do use the local hut facilities.

As for the local economy, we've spent a lot of money renovating the place we’ve used local suppliers for materials and local tradesmen to carry out the work.
The house is worth less now than we paid for it. Not a problem for us as we want to move there eventually
The seller moved on and bought something better for them in the local area, this has to be good for the village.
As for the place being empty, we've been very lucky. As a member of an active climbing club, people go there quite regularly and we've also been fortunate enough to get a lot of bookings for full weeks.
When people book, we provide them with full details of the local area, recommend places to visit, eat, shopping and the local attractions.
We've been to all of these places more than once; they're tried and tested by us.
So we put money in to the local economy and we encourage the people using the house to do the same.
Surely this has to help generate local businesses and the people employed by them?

W
 Ian McNeill 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Sl@te Head:

yep ... busy day ahead the one time I just wanted an early night to read a book away from little people ...

llandudno's only 1 1/2 houts away and as Ian says Nant is in the shade and rain ... for most of the year ...
rowen root 12 Mar 2009
In reply to Mark Westerman: Penisarwaun just up the road from Cwm a Glo is very friendly and has the edge on the weather. Also handy for mountains, slate, anglesey, and Bangor for large stores. Good morning Wilf by the way. Colin
wilf1 12 Mar 2009
In reply to rowen root:
<hijack>
Morning Colin, hope to be about weekend 28th 29th. Got a week in Scotland next week then try to get up after that.

I'll give you a shout and see if you're available.

<hilack over>

W

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...