UKC

Virgin Broad band Users, or IT geeks who can help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mr Rain 13 Mar 2009
I signed up to Virgin broadband, all was well with my windows XP system, now all of a sudden it is password protected. I didnt program a password, nor do I know one.

1) How did this happen?

2) Is there any way into the system without it?

3) Was it obviously Virgin who were responsible and perhaps more importantly -Why?

Jaffacake 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Mr Rain:

Do you mean a WEP or WPA key? The default one might be written on the modem or router, or somewhere in the literature that came with it

If you mean the password to get into the advanced settings on the router through your browser the default virgin is I think 'admin' and 'virgin' or perhaps 'virgin' and 'virgin'. Some sort of combination of them I'm sure.

If it's some other type of password I'm afraid I don't know, I don't think I've ever had our virgin account try and ask us for one other than the two mentioned above.
In reply to Mr Rain:

It *will be* password protected to prevent unauthorised access to *their* system. Have a look at your original documentation that came with the ADSL kit, there'll be your userID, some IP addresses and a password.

ALC
 Dominion 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Mr Rain:

Be more specific.

What is password protected?

Your broadband access? Or your computer?
In reply to Mr Rain: If virgin account. Do you have an email address with them. The password for accessing email remotely is the same as the broadband password.
 JDDD 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Mr Rain: It shouldn't be password protected. In its simplest form, connect an ethernet wire from your Virgin box into the back of your PC.

Ensure that in IE, Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings, there is no proxy set (unless it is a works computer)

If you are on a wireless network, it may be that your encryption is set and you do not know what the password is.
 Tyler 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Dominion:

This is a typical IT project, a number of techies proposing solutions, only one person asking what the problem actually is!
 TN 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Mr Rain:

As others have said, WHAT is password protected? Until you tell us geeks what the problem is, we can't help fix it?
Where are you being prompted to enter a password?
Mr Rain 13 Mar 2009
In reply to TN:

ALL of a sudden XP is asking me for a password for me to get into it! ( dunno how- it was nothing I did govnor - honest)

It means I cant even get into my system.

Sorry if I didnt make that clear.

Help?
 JDDD 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Mr Rain: Ah - right. Nothing to do with Virgin then. Sounds like someone has set up some users on your PC. Try logging in as Administrator with no password. If this doesn't work, I guess you are stuffed?
 rossowen 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Mr Rain: Sounds like someone has setup a password on your user account - extremely unlikely to have anything to do with Virgin - they would need access to the control panel on your PC, or the local users and groups mmc on your computer which they don't have.

Possible you were hacked and someone put it on there but much more likely someone else who uses the computer put it on there.

There are way to remove the password from it, using some software on a cd - email me if I can help
 rossowen 13 Mar 2009
In reply to rossowen: Forgot to mention, you can try to log on as administrator with now password. If you can't see administrator, press CTRL+Alt+Del twice to see a logon box and type administrator as the username and blank password
Carpe Diem 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Jon Dittman:

I'm sat here in the Virgin tech support deptartment now.
Its not VM generated error,but as JDc says multiple users on the pc.
 TN 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Mr Rain:

Sometimes when .Net is installed it sets up an account - I think this was included in one of the old updates so not sure why it's only just affected you. It may or may not be relevant. Guess it could be another Windows update that's done it but I'd imagine other people would be having the same problem if that were the case?
I don't know enough about Virgin to know what it may or may not have installed on the PC

Are you being presented with a choice of logins? (if so, what)
What login name is it showing when it asks for the password?

James_D 13 Mar 2009
In reply to Mr Rain:

log on as administrator in safe mode, then you dont need a password and can remove any that exist.
Mr Rain 14 Mar 2009
In reply to rossowen:

Thanks - I will try your suggestion first. If that doesnt work - I will mail you, if your solution doesnt work - then I will contact Virgin.

N.B. Why would anyone from Virgin want to hack me?

Dominion 14 Mar 2009
In reply to Mr Rain:

XP Home or Pro?

If Pro, then ALt Ctrl Del at the login prompt should bring a dialog up to allow yo yo type in a user name

eg Administrator

try without a password

If XP Home, then you have to catch the computer with an F8 just after the BIOS screen, and select Safe Mode

If you want to play with the big boys, you download a RIP (Recovery Is Possible) cd and remove the XP password using that.

http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

Instructions for removing passwords:

http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/docs/RIPLinuX.txt

============ WinNT/XP/Vista password change/erase program! ==============

The chntpw program will enable you to view some information and change/erase
user passwords in a Windows NT/XP/Vista SAM userdatabase file.

Read /usr/doc/RIPLinuX/chntpw/README.
# ntpasswd "Script to automate the process!"

||-)
Mr Rain 14 Mar 2009
In reply to Dominion:

Right - last attempt didnt work- here I am in a public library I keep walking back and forth . At least it keeps me fit and ready for my next ski trip in April!

I will try your instructions Dominion. Thanks

Its not XP pro. And I hate Windows. It is shite with a capital S. I will get round to linux when I get my next laptop. ( having read the link- the insinutaion is that XP will be replaced by Linux) WILL I STILL KEEP ALL INFORMATION ON THE DRIVES HELD BY XP? PICS ETC?

That is a lot if information IN YOUR LINK, need to re read it. Study it.

Which one of the menus should I choose? thats the confusing bit for me. Theres a lot to this.
 Dominion 14 Mar 2009
In reply to Mr Rain:

> Which one of the menus should I choose? thats the confusing bit for me. Theres a lot to this.

Hmmm. You may not be able to download, and burn a CD in a library, or then again you may be able to do so.

If you are on about the Windows menu that pops up when you press F8, then there are a couple of Safe Mode options, possibly even 3, one with networking, one with command prompt and one just plain Safe Mode. I'd pick just the plain Safe Mode for starters.

If you do get to burn a RIP cd at the library, then I'd personally pick the no X version, but that is command prompt only stuff, and possibly not for beginners, but that depends on how good the instructions are for changing the XP password.

Sorry for the delay in replying to this, I've had to drive to Wales to fix my sister's computer, since I last posted. Hard drive errors. Could be because the motherboard is some 8 or 9 years old, or that they probably have 2 or 2 power cuts a week. And that's killing the HDD.

||-)
Mr Rain 16 Mar 2009
In reply to Dominion:

Not a problem Librarys close on Sat at 4pm, not open until today. Onward I struggle- hope I get it sorted this week at least!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...