UKC

Fingers, hand, wrist and forearm training aid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 womblesi 16 Mar 2009
I am after a fingers, hand, wrist and forearm training aid I am looking at either the Grip master prohands or the Metolius grip saver plus. Any suggestions as to which one is better?

Thanks

Simon
 owen1988 16 Mar 2009
In reply to womblesi:
I looked at these a while ago, but i think the general idea from most people here was that they are crap and a waste of money. I use a squash ball every now and again, but this gets quite easy after a while. Good for warming up whilst you are driving to the wall/crag maybe.
OP womblesi 16 Mar 2009
In reply to owen1988: Yea I want something I can train with whilst not at the wall. So whilst stuck in traffic, on the phone, watching TV etc...

I did'nt train during the week last week as I had a dose of man flu. Went climbing on Sunday morning warmed up on a F6a+ and over gripped on everything resulting in having to cut my session really short because I just could not hold on to anything.

Therefore I feel the need to put some extra work in this area.
dunc 16 Mar 2009
In reply to womblesi:
I do some wrist curls (reverse and "normal" way) using relatively light dumbbells.

I use hand grips whilst I'm at work. £5 for a pair from a body building shop.
 cfer 16 Mar 2009
I have just started (3 weeks ago) using a power ball

http://www.powerballs.com/

and have noticed really quick and good results, no longer am I weak fingered or limp wristed.....

seriuiosly though they are really good and as the put a rev counter on the top it soon turns into a competition between yourself and your mates, am at 12,000 at the moment.

Joking 16 Mar 2009
In reply to caseyfather:

I have one of these & the 1st thing that happened was my rev counter broke.. this is obviously;
a/ as I was going so fast
&/or
b/ as I did so many

Obviously...
 cfer 16 Mar 2009
I went through 2 of them then bought one without a rev counter and the new techno one which displays it through a little projection onto the gyro, plus it has lights that come on as you get faster, a little more expensive but great fun.

Btw if you bought from powerball.com they are covered for 25 years they replaced mine really quickly both times.
the polar bear 16 Mar 2009
In reply to womblesi:

if you want training aids for fingers, hand, wrist and forearm check out david hornes site

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/shop.html
 henwardian 16 Mar 2009
In reply to womblesi: The only one I would strongly recommend against is the Powerball. I won one once and played with it for a few weeks afterward, all it did was made my wrist feel sore and stiff and added an alarming clicking sound every time I moved it. In retrospect I suppose I should have realised that trying to hold a gyro still is a pretty unnatural loading of your muscles... Avoid!
 Murcantile 16 Mar 2009
In reply to womblesi:

Nail(screw) a 2cm squared piece of wood over a door frame!

Screw one above that! Train!
Juggler13 16 Mar 2009
I used a powerball for a few weeks and it injured the tendons in my thumb on both hands to the point that it was painful to pick up anything. It's possible that this was due to the grip I was using. Anyone else had this problem?
musoclimb 18 Mar 2009
a few years ago ages before i took up climbing, I got one of these grip device things, (gripmaster i think) to train my fingers for guitar playing. You have to be really careful with these things. being so portable it was easy to overcook my fingers. I think this brought about my rsi and tendonitus. I thought id buried those demons after 3 months off guitar. Im now out of climbing til i recover from my latest injury. Advice is not to train everyday with any type of excersise. so if you do get one, dont get carried away, its a shortcut to injury
 chris fox 19 Mar 2009
In reply to womblesi:

I have a grip master if you want to buy it off me.

Oh, a good cheap alternative for forearms is get an old rolling pin, drill a hole in the middle, attach some rope and then put a weight on the bottom, roll it up and down, will give you a good workout

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...