UKC

NEW ARTICLE: In Conversation: Yusuke Sato - Giri Giri Boy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 17 Mar 2009
[Giri Giri boy Yusuke Sato and Jack Geldard getting wet, 2 kb]

The Japanese Giri Giri boys are well regarded throughout the world of mountaineering, but an air of mystery surrounds them and their philosophy. Little is known about the climbers themselves and as we find out in this interview, their hardest ascents often go under the main media radar. Their 16 day route climbed in Japan last year ranks amongst their finest achievements.

We speak to Yusuke Sato. He is a double Piolet d'Or nominee this year for two of his climbs in 2008, on Denali, Alaska and Kalanka, India.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1744

frost 17 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:
Inspiring. These guys never surrender.
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 17 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Nice interview Jack. Two nomination = hard core.

Thanks to Yusuke for opening up to Jack.
 Morgan Woods 17 Mar 2009

not to be confused with my own hard core sports climbing collective.....the Gri Gri boys.
 Jack Geldard 17 Mar 2009
In reply to mark reeves: Cheers Mark - I had to loosen him up with single malt in the Glenmore bar!

Jack
 Ian Parnell 17 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Thanks Jack and Yusuke very interesting. Got me intrigued about a trip to Japan. As you say Mark 2 nominations in the same year is well impressive. For those who haven't seen it the film of the Japanese ascent of Kamet is brilliant, a great portrait of hard alpinism but also probably the funniest climbing film Ive seen.
 Kyuzo 17 Mar 2009
In reply to Ian Parnell:

What is it called?
 Kyuzo 17 Mar 2009

Great article, nice to hear about these guys.
 tebs 18 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Another first class article - thanks
Oliver Metherell 20 Mar 2009
Was fortunate enough to meet the late 'Tats' (one of the pair who went missing in AK last year.) in the Ruth nearly two years ago when I was climbing there with James Mehigan.

They were modest, humble and charming. They had trashed one of their ropes trying something hardcore in The Ruth. We took one of our ropes to them the day before we flew out and said they could have it.

They insisted on giving us money for it... I feel priveleged to have met Tats and the other giri giri boys and I will always rememember him.

Ian Parnell 20 Mar 2009
In reply to Kyuzo: Sorry can't remember its name. I don't know if its commercially available. Jack? Have you any ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...