UKC

Tenerife worth the visit??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tommakin 20 Mar 2009
Ok so there is a rock fax book, a local guide and guides out there but no records/ reviews on UKC. Has anyone ever been for a climbing holiday and if so is it worth the visit?
neilinut 20 Mar 2009
In reply to tommakin:

I went in 98 and spent 14 days looking around and all the rock I found exploring looked like weetabix. I had an ankle injury at the time so I wasn't going to climb anyway but thought I would have a look for a return visit. I believe it has been developed a lot since and there are some good crags. I didn't really enjoy being on the island at all.

(This is the only time in my life I have ever been on a "beach holiday" - how do people do it every year? I was bored after 24 hrs)
 jon 20 Mar 2009
In reply to tommakin:

Yes. It's 8 years since I went, and there was plenty to go at then...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Mar 2009
In reply to tommakin:

It is good but not great, fantastic climate through. If you are going anyway put the rope and q-ds in.

Chris
 PATTISON Bill 21 Mar 2009
In reply to tommakin: just back from spending my annual 2 months in tenerife .While other spanish areas have been getting all the publicity the locals have just been getting on putting scores of new routes.In 4 months Ive only scratched the surface and there are new developments all the time.The locals have the advantage of being abl to climb all year round .The weather is seldom too bad to climb.There is a new guide to the Arico area enough in it to keep anyone going for a mmth or two.I found the grades a bit tough but I suppose that could be down to my age 75 but still managed a few 6a+s.the area around Golf Del Sur is handy for the Arico area although a bit noisy as its right on the approach to the Airport.5mins.Have a look at the videos on Climbing in Tenerife or link through to You Tube.
dontlookdown72 23 Mar 2009
In reply to PATTISON Bill: oooo im going on a last minute boys weekender (this weekend) and was wondering if i should take shoes just in case. Not sure if im gona be in any fit state to be climbing though . Also, im brand new with no lead or outside experience so guess id be limited to E/M boulder routes. Im staying in Columbus Aparthotel (Playa De Las Americas), we see
dontlookdown72 03 Apr 2009
Well i got back tuesday, as said before it was a boys away kinda holiday but took my shoes just in case. My plan was to visit the shop in Granadillia (Tenerife Outdoor) to get the Tshirt n guide for Arico. After missing breakfast and 30euros later i arrived at the shop which to my beginners eyes seemed well equipped. I was offered the option to join two other climbers for a trip out on monday, have to admit i was apprehensive due to my complete lack of any outside or lead experience but it had to be done, getting back to hotel and checking out the guide cemented my fear lol .

Come monday 12am at the shop it was all good. Climbing buddies and guide Walter (hes on youtube) were there n ready, 30mins later we arrived at El Hoyo. After abseiling into the gorge which was another first for me I have to admit that I was very relieved that we wernt gona see any 25m+ routes that day . The guides shows 6a to 8a but there were warm up routes which rate around the 5+ mark but dont seem listed. Walter lead and after some instruction allowed me to belay him (another first) after which we all climbed top rope. To me the routes seemed easier than at craggy, the hardest of which was 6a+ (sicronicity) which for me has a tricky start but managed it first time.

Overall (bearing in mind im a noobie), I thorougly enjoyed myself. Walter is the main man on the island, hes climbed worldwide and with all the names, a very chilled out and motivational character. In the Arico area alone according the guide theres 510 routes in 13 different areas, most are bolted but there are some traditional routes. When asked why climbing info was hard to come by on the net they said that were just getting started with things.

I will definitely be going back, this time just to climb! and maybe dance, a little
Bob kate bob 03 Apr 2009
In reply to dontlookdown72: I wouldn't expect there to be many Walter's who are local to Tenerife, so you must have meet up witht he same Guy Myseld and Mr BKB did about 6 years ago. He is a top bloke.

I think there might even be an old picture of him that we took on UKC, I'll have a hunt

Glad you had fun.
Bob kate bob 03 Apr 2009
dontlookdown72 03 Apr 2009
In reply to Bob kate bob: yep that looks like him for sure. The man in action:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxjO69gHsvM&feature=channel_page
spotting
youtube.com/watch?v=PZWTqRoPWfw&

Loads o vids on there:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/bouldercan

Pringles 07 Apr 2009
I would def say it's worth a visit.
Have a look on www.roxtar.es and www.tenerifelodge.com.
They are the (only) ones who can give you detailled info on climbing on the island and Walter is indeed one of their excellent guides !!
Suggestion : Penny at Tenerifelodge has the best climbing accomodations, saves you driving around a lot.
gourd 07 Apr 2009
In reply to neilinut:

> This is the only time in my life I have ever been on a "beach holiday" - how do people do it every year? I was bored after 24 hrs

The missus has 'decided' we should take the kids on a decent holiday this year and Tenerife looks top of the list. Can only say I share your sentiment. Can think of lots of other ways I would prefer to spend £2500.
 Heike 07 Apr 2009
In reply to gourd:

well, you coud go climbing whilst the others lounge on the beach, tres bien,non?
gourd 07 Apr 2009
In reply to Heike:
> (In reply to gourd)
>
> well, you coud go climbing whilst the others lounge on the beach, tres bien,non?

I'll suggest it to my wife..."Hey darling why don't I just sneak off to go climbing and leave you with the kids, who you look after every day and who do your head in by talking soooo much"

I'll let you know how many bruises I get....
 Heike 07 Apr 2009
In reply to gourd:
Even better, take the kids climbing and leave your wife to recuperate on the beach. How about that?
 Ian Jones 07 Apr 2009
In reply to tommakin:

It's nowhere near as good as Mallorca but considering some of the garbage that people rave about in Spain and Derbyshire you might be pleasantly surprised if I say don't expect too much. The rock is not like weetabix; the canyons (riverbeds( are short and very solid. The crater area is still firm but a bit of a dull place I thought.
gourd 07 Apr 2009
In reply to Heike:

Too young.

Hey ho.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...