UKC

Car hire on Costa Blanca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jibberingwreck 29 Mar 2009
Hello,

Off to Costa Blanca in a week and half and am after car hire. Any recommendations?

Ta,

Ben
 Andy Hudson 29 Mar 2009
In reply to jibberingwreck:
We have used Auriga Crown and Goldcar in the past and both were fine
 Tyler 29 Mar 2009

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/?source=intl_splash

Used them a couple of times with no probs and very cheap
 icnoble 30 Mar 2009
In reply to jibberingwreck: We paid the extra windscreen/tyre insurance. I am glad we did as it covered the puncture we got, would have cost £130 otherwise. Also most of the companies charge for a tank of fuel and you get ripped off. You take the car back empty. Total cost for 2 weeks for hire of car was £218
 Hopevalleypaul 30 Mar 2009
I Have used holidayautos a few times without a problem you have to pay for a full tank of petrol when you pick up and then return it empty, which makes for an interesting drive back to the airport.
 Trangia 30 Mar 2009
In reply to notts paul:
> you have to pay for a full tank of petrol when you pick up and then return it empty, which makes for an interesting drive back to the airport.

More and more car hire companies are adopting this practice. It's a real money spinner for them because there is no way you can fine judge it to return the car on it's last drop.

My suspicious mind makes me wonder if they fiddle with the fuel guage so that it reads empty long before it really is? I recently hired a car and worked out pretty well exactly how much fuel we used on the out journey on the basis that we would use the same on the return.

On the way back all seemed tickety boo until with about an eighth of a tank left, which I had calculated should have been ample, the red low fuel warning light began to flash with at least 30 K still to go. So I lost my nerve and pulled into a filling station where I put in 5 euros worth. For a while afterwards the warning light kept flashing which made me wonder if I was going to find another garage. The suddenly it stopped and low and behold the fuel guage climbed up to half full!

So the hire company was only going to need another half tank before charging the next victim for a full one. Do this on every hire and they must make 100s of euro in extra revenue.
 TPLUVSU 30 Mar 2009
In reply to jibberingwreck: I just search for car hire on Travelsupermarket, then just go with the cheapest. Randomly its never the same firm. Also when i have just gone over for a long weekend they have let me bring the car back with a full tank.
In reply to jibberingwreck: Thanks for all your advice.

Can't wait to get out there.
 David Mayers 30 Mar 2009

www.travelsupermarket.com

I've been over twice in the last six weeks and booked through travelsupermarket both times.

The first time was 10 days and cost £65.00 (Victoria Rent a Car)and last week was 6 days for £35.00 (Solomar). Both have adopted the pick up with a full tank and return empty, although last week I was given the option of returing it full and getting a refund for the original tank.

The climbing is fantastic, you'll have a great time and if you need any other information please do not hesitate to ask

Hope this helps
 ebygomm 30 Mar 2009
In reply to notts paul:
> I Have used holidayautos a few times without a problem you have to pay for a full tank of petrol when you pick up and then return it empty, which makes for an interesting drive back to the airport.

Holidayautos is just a broker, so things like this depend on the car rental firm you're actually using, I've always got the car full and returned it full.

JonT 01 Apr 2009

I've just booked 10 days hire for the Costa Blanca area with Auto Europe, for £115.08 through Quidco, with £9.78 cash back.

The car size we have asked for is a Fiesta class (with air-con) but have always had a much bigger car when we pick them up (a Zafira and a Laguna estate).

The hire also includes zero excess insurance, so that's one less thing for them to try to sell you at the desk.
 magpie 01 Apr 2009
In reply to jibberingwreck: We've always used Goldcar.es and never had any bother, they're pretty good price wise too.
gazevs 04 Apr 2009
Hi.
I've used Centauro three times in the past: www.centauro.net
As to the fuel on return thing, they offer you a choice when you pick up the vehicle. Return it empty or pay a surcharge up front and return it full. They refund the surcharge a couple of days later on your credit card.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...