UKC

Smartwool or Thorlos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
s.climber 10 Apr 2009
Or a different sock entirely?
 Big Steve 10 Apr 2009
In reply to s.climber: I recomend smartwool
 winhill 10 Apr 2009
In reply to s.climber: depends what for.
s.climber 10 Apr 2009
In reply to winhill: mountain sock for cold conditions
 stonemaster 11 Apr 2009
In reply to s.climber: I have used both. I prefer Smartwool for what you have in mind. Good luck.
 Stuzz 11 Apr 2009
In reply to s.climber:

Smartwools more comfortable next to skin but looses its coushioning over the course of a long day
Same applies for Bridgedale 'comfort' socks.
Best solution i've found seems to be to use a smartwool liner and bridgedale 'endurance' sock. not tried Thorlos though so i dont know where they fit in.
 HardenClimber 11 Apr 2009
In reply to s.climber:
I really like the heavy Smartwool socks - go well in winter boots. Few years ago tried the Thorlo equivalent and didn't really like them...nothing specific just not as comfortable. Bridgdale aren't bad (esp the lighter weight ones).
When you first use the smartwool they seem to pull threads and look as if they are going to disintegrate, but this stops one they are a little shaggy.
 Dave B 13 Apr 2009
In reply to s.climber:
I found Thorlo better. The smart wool and bridgedale didn't seem 'dense' enough inside the Nepal Extremes I had them in in the heel. However, other people have had different experiences.

Perhaps if it really important to you, buy one of each and do some trials in the UK, before you really use them. I didn't and fortunately only used the smart wool ones in the valley after the days on thee mountain - the spare change of socks I had carried for 4 days and hadn't used until I had a shower and was going back to the car. I had blisters in 30 minutes of walking, but had been fine with Thorlos over the mountains.

Hope this helps...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...