UKC

NEW REVIEW: Flashed - Ronin Air Pad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 29 Apr 2009
[Jack Geldard pad testing at Mytholm Steeps, Hebden Bridge, 2 kb]It's not every day we get a new technology in climbing gear. I mean, nuts have got pretty colours... slings have got thinner... helmets have got funkier.. but really nothing has changed... right?

Question: A bouldering mat full of air? Really? No - REALLY?

Answer: Sort of.

Jack Geldard bounces around on the Ronin Air Pad from Flashed...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1701

Silum 29 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Great review. Quick question(for you or Ronin who I am sure are aware of this review). You say it takes about half an hour to set up when you first get it...can it be put down again once assembled? If so, is it easy enough to set up at the crag without tools/inflatable pumps? Sorry, the 'setup' wasnt too clear.

This could be very handy for going on flights with a bouldering pad is what im thinking. In its disassembled state is it small?

Looks like a great pad though. With mine wearing out after a couple years im definately interesting in one that lasts.
I'd also be quite keen to know how easily it could be packed into a large bag for air travel, to avoid extra charges incurred by sports items!

Do you know if Ronin have any plans to make a giant airpad and leave it in the cave on a permanent basis - I feel this would be great for promoting it to a wide audience
 UKB Shark 29 Apr 2009
In reply to Richard Hession:

I'm pretty sure the air cells don't/can't deflate once its assembled - its kind of flat packed to start with and inflate themselves once unfurled overnight.
In reply to Silum: Yes, once it is assembled you can deflate it. I haven't bothered deflating it when flying to Europe with it, main reason being to re-inflate you need to let the cells expand at room temp for 24 hours, which would be a pain if you are only in Font for 3 days. If you are off to Bishop for a month then this re-inflation time is probably not an issue.

I will measure up the deflated size of the pad and let you know.
In reply to Richard Hession:
> I'd also be quite keen to know how easily it could be packed into a large bag for air travel, to avoid extra charges incurred by sports items!
>

I have carried it fully inflated on flights and it has just gone through as my normal luggage. It weighs a little over 7.6kg so you still have 7.4kg worth of weight that is easily stuffed inside the pad. Or 12.4kg if you are using a proper airline
In reply to Graeme Alderson: Rolled up the pad is 39" high with a diameter of 13"
In reply to Simon Lee: You can deflate it Simon, just roll each section of air cells up and secure with the velcro that is on the cells.
 UKB Shark 30 Apr 2009
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Note to self - stop commenting on climbing hardware (or squashware)
 Silum 30 Apr 2009
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Thanks Graeme!
 gabriel_m 30 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
I know it only took about three seconds to find out but if youre going to list the two cons to a product as being price and weight you should say what the figures are. Weight - 7.6kg
 Jack Geldard 01 May 2009
In reply to gabriel_m: Nice one Gabriel, I've added that in.

Good to have chaps like you keeping an eye on me!

Jack
 wilbobaggins 01 May 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Fair review... A mate of mine has one of these and they're pretty impressive.

One other slight downside I found: on fairly slopey ground or covering the lip of nearby boulders, the cells tended to work their way down and bunch up at the bottom leaving only the thin foam at the top. Not too much hassle - just meant we had to reorganise it every now and then after a few lobs...
 Will Hunt 08 May 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
I like the picture by Ronin a lot. But a guy who wears socks in the sack? Please?
 Green Fuse 12 May 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:
I used one of these for the first 3 months of the year. Apart from the weight (not really a problem TBH) I thought it was brilliant.
You just get used to the extra security to the extent that jumping onto a normal mat seemed a bit thin and risky.
 Silum 15 May 2009
In reply to Green Fuse:

> You just get used to the extra security to the extent that jumping onto a normal mat seemed a bit thin and risky.

really? Is it that much of a difference?

Green Fuse 18 May 2009
In reply to Silum:
Yes for me. I am 44 and a half and have been jumping off for a long time, so maybe younger people might feel it less or be "less sensitive" than my aging joints.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...